Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Attempting Self Sufficiency in NS - how much additional income?

Attempting Self Sufficiency in NS - how much additional income?

Old Sep 10th 2014, 2:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attempting Self Sufficiency in NS - how much additional income?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Some of our neighbours have "hobby" farms and we obtain all of our beef from them. They have regular jobs too and the impression I am left with is that they enjoy tending to their animals rather than doing it to achieve a profit. One of them is simply happy to cover his costs of production.
Our neighbours have proper, though fairly small, farms; maybe 200 cows, 100 acres of crops, and they have regular jobs. A colleague is married to a proper farmer, many 100s of acres, lots of cows, $15,000/year in seed purchases, spending $100,000+ this year for a new shed to park the combines, and he has a regular job. My neighbour at the old place had about 500 acres of potatoes and a regular job.

Farming's an addiction, it takes a special kind of thinking to work at a desk all day looking forward to driving a tractor late into the night but that's what most farmers have to do.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Yeah it is tiny, not so bad when you add the surrounding areas together but like you say it is quite spread out. Although, YMCA just built a new leisure centre in Cornwallis so there must of been a bit of demand for that type of thing. I want to set up a business but can't decide what sort of business is best, tourism stuff seems to do ok.

You must be around Wolfville then, lovely area, housing is pricey though.
We are a bit further out than Wolfville, towards the Bay of Fundy, and just renting at the moment. Yes, Wolfville is too expensive! We want to get a bit of land and build on it, but finding a bit of land we can afford (and afford to build a house on it) that's also not too far to travel to the gym is proving tricky. Now if we were prepared to commute from Digby...!

I think there are business opportunities here in NS for people who want to start their own, but yes it's difficult to decide which is best, and also which does not require too much start-up capital.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
We are a bit further out than Wolfville, towards the Bay of Fundy, and just renting at the moment. Yes, Wolfville is too expensive! We want to get a bit of land and build on it, but finding a bit of land we can afford (and afford to build a house on it) that's also not too far to travel to the gym is proving tricky. Now if we were prepared to commute from Digby...!

I think there are business opportunities here in NS for people who want to start their own, but yes it's difficult to decide which is best, and also which does not require too much start-up capital.
I don't know an hour & a half commute is not too bad . I've always thought land was quite cheap, you can usually pick up a an acre or two for $15k, I supposed it depends on how rural you go though. I thought about a self build but figured it's probably much cheaper to buy an existing house, tradesmen are expensive so I imagine build costs could be astronomical.

Last edited by confused_uk; Sep 10th 2014 at 3:42 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
I don't know an hour & a half commute is not too bad . I've always thought land was quite cheap, you can usually pick up a an acre or two for $15k, I supposed it depends on how rural you go though. I thought about a self build but figured it's probably much cheaper to buy an existing house, tradesmen are expensive so I imagine build costs could be astronomical.
Problem is my OH grew up on a farm and has notions of 50 acres rather than 5! I don't need 50 but I would like a bit of space

Re. house building, I was very keen on the idea, then did what you did and started to think it would be cheaper just to buy a house, but have now switched back to wanting to build. Our plan is to do a lot of the manual labour ourselves - with the assistance of a builder friend and tradesmen for the serious stuff like plumbing and electrical - and save money that way.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Rachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant future

This is all makes interesting reading even though I am an Australian! It reminded me of a recent prime time TV show here which featured a family who were proud of their level of self-sufficiency. They had paid off their mortgage, and lived a semi-rural existence with their two teenage girls, grew vegetables, kept chickens, were highly efficient with food expenditure, bought minimal clothes etc. They lived quite comfortably on an income of $40 000 a year. From what I can see, the average family incomes in Canada and Australia are quite similar and 40k is probably about half the average family income here and way below a comfortable middle-class income. I seem to remember that they worked about three days a week between them but their daughters also had part-time jobs which paid for their mobile phones, extra clothes etc. Also, although heating and airconditioning are desirable here they are not essential. Our clothing costs are also low because of the climate. I remember this family had a rule that only two lights could be on in the house at once.
Also as far as not wanting to use an ipad, that was one item that these parents in the story provided as they are compulsory here at many schools.
I would hazard a guess that the original poster could need to at least double what they have in mind to provide a safe level of some degree of self sufficiency for a family.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Andie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't say that people shouldn't but I wouldn't because the need for cheap land drives one far from the city which is problematic for children because:

- the good schools are in the city.
- their peers are in the city, in the country the next kid is five miles away and the wrong age
- the city is a better educational environment, children learn from people to whom they're exposed; if they're exposed to two languages they learn two languages, if they're exposed to ten cultures they gain an appreciation for diversity.
- the entertainment is in the city, in rural locations children amuse themselves by killing things, boozing, doing drugs and driving things dangerously.
- living minimally deprives children of everyday necessities such as ipads.
- children in the country are dependent on their parents to a degree that seems unhealthy to me, they can't bicycle or take the bus to the pool or cinema, they have to be driven everywhere (or the parents turn a blind eye while they drive themselves).
- if the children graduate from high school they'll move to the city, they'd be better prepared if that's where they grew up.

Do you really want your children to grow up able to play a mean fiddle and take a shotgun to a fisher but not knowing what a durain or a banana or a turban is or how to work an Oyster card?

Ok. This is a bit too extreme. I grew up in rural NS, went to university in NS, and, at the age of 22, came to London.

School: excellent. Graduated 4th in my class. Played flute and then trombone in school bands. Went to university. Obtained degree. Now have professional qualification in the UK. My sister, who went to the very same school and university, has 2 PhD's.

Friends: Many. Still in touch today. Graduated 1995. I organised our 20 year reunion!

Diversity: Never an issue. I moved to London fresh out of university and made friends of all races & cultures immediately. Was breaking the Ramadan fast with a new friend within 6 weeks of arriving here. Knew 1 Muslim family in NS.

*IF* the children graduate from high school? Seriously?

I am a 41 year old living in London with zero debt (unless you count my mortgage) a Burmese husband (diversity?) and an excellent job that pays me an excellent salary. Our household income is higher than 97% of the UK (source: The Institute for Fiscal Studies, UK).

Wow! A rural NS upbringing really didn't prepare me at all from a life out there in the big bad world!!!

Now, moving to rural NS in May 2015. Cashing out of the rat race to go live the good life. In rural NS.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andie8
Ok. This is a bit too extreme. I grew up in rural NS, went to university in NS, and, at the age of 22, came to London.

School: excellent. Graduated 4th in my class. Played flute and then trombone in school bands. Went to university. Obtained degree. Now have professional qualification in the UK. My sister, who went to the very same school and university, has 2 PhD's.

Friends: Many. Still in touch today. Graduated 1995. I organised our 20 year reunion!

Diversity: Never an issue. I moved to London fresh out of university and made friends of all races & cultures immediately. Was breaking the Ramadan fast with a new friend within 6 weeks of arriving here. Knew 1 Muslim family in NS.

*IF* the children graduate from high school? Seriously?

I am a 41 year old living in London with zero debt (unless you count my mortgage) a Burmese husband (diversity?) and an excellent job that pays me an excellent salary. Our household income is higher than 97% of the UK (source: The Institute for Fiscal Studies, UK).

Wow! A rural NS upbringing really didn't prepare me at all from a life out there in the big bad world!!!

Now, moving to rural NS in May 2015. Cashing out of the rat race to go live the good life. In rural NS.
Firstly, congratulations, it seems you've done well.

You make a convincing case that someone from the backwoods can, if transplated to an urban environment, learn about diversity and, perhaps, find a rich husband. Great, but we know this happens to people; Dolly Parton, Britney Spears and Miley Cyrus are people from nowhere who became rich and household names despite their backgrounds.

However this doesn't make the case that it's a good choice for the child to be beyond the black stump in the first place, nor does it deal with the balance of probabilities, which child is more likely to be the doctor; the one from the one room school house or the one from the urban comprehensive? I suggest the latter is more likely to know of the possibility of being a doctor and so more likely to become one.

I'm bound to ask, not knowing many small town girls, did you attend Band Camp?
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 4:40 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Dolly Parton, Britney Spears and Miley Cyrus are people from nowhere who became rich and household names despite their backgrounds.
Cap doffed, sir!
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Rachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant future

I am an outsider looking into this interesting discussion, being an Aussie in Sydney Australia and my husband being the expat, being Sicilian. I have actually been to NS and although, I believe, it is not an island, it reminds me of two islands, Sicily and Tasmania.
Both produce highly educated and successful people; eg Princess Mary of Denmark who was brought up in Tassie and no doubt the many graduates of the University of Tasmania. Among my husband's circle in Sicily there are two senators and a Professor of Geology just as a starter.
Nevertheless, both Sicily and Tassie suffer from very high unemployment rates compared to other regions of their respective countries and a have a disproportionate amount of social disadvantage. Both places are scenically beautiful and cheaper to live than their mainlands. It seems NS has similar characteristics.
Whether it is a good thing to move young kids to any of these places is, I guess, an individual and difficult decision.