Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Attempting Self Sufficiency in NS - how much additional income?

Attempting Self Sufficiency in NS - how much additional income?

Old Sep 6th 2014, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attempting Self Sufficiency in NS - how much additional income?

Originally Posted by yemelade
Or perhaps we're attempting to be self sufficient, harvesting our own wood, enough for several cords of wood to use throughout the year each and every year which should be plenty in a fuel efficient wood burner?
In January we moved house where there was a wood furnace in the basement. We didn't have any wood though! So once a week, on a Friday afternoon, we headed to the local timber yard and loaded hubby's truck with offcuts. The full truck load was $25. Well considering it was a very cold winter with several days at - 24 we actually managed to heat our house with 3 loads per month, so $75!!!! Obviously we had to collect it and then get it in to the basement but if you are thinking self sufficiency then that is something to remember!!!!
Old Sep 6th 2014, 7:46 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have kids? There are school costs.

Planning on going anywhere, ever? Flights in Canada are extremely expensive.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

$600 electric (just incase/additional electric on top of solar)
This number would not work here, in Ontario. The cost to have electricity supplied is about $130/month. There's also a charge for electricity used but it's negligible; the worst bill we've had was $150. So, here one has to choose to be on the grid at $130/month even if no power is used or off the grid, set up cost for us is about $35,000. Either way, a back up generator arrangement is needed (unless you can keep all your summer produce in some sort of root cellar).

I wonder what self-sufficient people feed to their chickens, pigs and cows. Around here chickens and pigs get commercial meal, left overs, unsaleable food from supermarkets. Cows get grass and hay; growing and harvesting the hay isn't a trivial undertaking.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

NS Power charge 10.83/month for a base charge, that's it.. and then your consumption on top
Old Sep 7th 2014, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

bigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of light

you will need a lot of solar photovoltaic (PV) panels to be able to off-set the electrical usage. How much roof space would you have, will it be south facing? Also are there any renewable incentives in NS, or Canada for the matter? i.e. do you get paid for exporting unused electricity? this could provide some income if there are any...

Whilst you are thinking of renewable technologies, you should also consider solar thermal - some might say it is more useful than PV. 2-4m.sq should provide enough hot water for your need. however, unlike PV, solar thermal does require maintenance in order for it to run efficiently.

if you want to go a step further you could produce your own hot water without electricity, the following shows how it is done and would be ideal if you live out in the sticks...
Old Sep 7th 2014, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Are you planning to heat your house solely with the wood? Count at least 10 -15 cords per winter if so.

Where are you planning to get the wood?

Triple, at least, your budget for vehicular fuel.

What's the budget for feeding & housing the animals you plan to raise for food?

Not trying to rain on your parade, but having done the living-in-the-backwoods-self-sufficiency-thingy, I eventually worked out that it's much cheaper, & a heck of a lot more comfortable, to live a more conventional life, in town, in Eastern Canada.

It may be more feasible on the West Coast.

S
Old Sep 7th 2014, 2:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Unless it's staring me in the face and I'm going blind, you haven't allowed for heating?
Post #1 ".... harvested our own wood .... ", which I took to mean for fuel.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

After more research and planning, hopefully we will achieve our plan, and I will be happy to keep you updated @dishwashing!
Thank you, yemelade. I'm very inspired by attempts to change the pace of (mainstream) stuff.

Wishing you good journeys all along
Old Sep 7th 2014, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Are you planning to heat your house solely with the wood? Count at least 10 -15 cords per winter if so.

Where are you planning to get the wood?

S
we heat a 2200 sqft house and a separate workshop with 2 (Pacific Energy) wood stoves. Both buildings are fully insulated. We use 5 cords of hard wood for both during the winter ( heating period November until April) , price per cord at the moment between $180-220(cut and split if you were to buy it)
Old Sep 7th 2014, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
we heat a 2200 sqft house and a separate workshop with 2 (Pacific Energy) wood stoves. Both buildings are fully insulated. We use 5 cords of hard wood for both during the winter ( heating period November until April) , price per cord at the moment between $180-220(cut and split if you were to buy it)
Good info.

I was mainly throwing out "things to think about" ...

S
Old Sep 7th 2014, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

yemelade has a brilliant futureyemelade has a brilliant futureyemelade has a brilliant futureyemelade has a brilliant futureyemelade has a brilliant futureyemelade has a brilliant future

We're definetely aiming to have enough money to insulate and solar power the home so that our annual costs are as low as possible. And yes, we would be planning to use wood as our sole source of fuel. Seen a few houses online with wood acreage included in the sale therefore vehicular costs associated with transporting the wood are likely to be low, particularly if we were able to buy a large wagony/truck to attach to our truck to assist with moving wood. Although admittedly I'm unsure which trees grow back and whether we'd need to replant etc or if they'd just grow so it's things like this I'd need to look at. I'd hate to think we cut down all our trees expecting them to regrow, and then they didn't therefore we'd be very cold!

For chicken and pig feed, my aunt feeds them in the UK with a grain and soy mix, with scraps to both the chickens and the pigs straight from the dinner plate and they seem to do really well on it. I would need to find somewhere nearby or that delivered to provide a similar thing, or see about rotating the animals on the land we had so they would always have access to fresh pasture which would likewise reduce the cost to feed as well as surplus garden veggies in the summer to enrich their diet/reduce costs.

PS Bigshark, thanks for the link! Very interesting video indeed, and something we need to consider.

School fees? School is free in NS, no? But we both feel it is essential that we work into the budget extra classes/clubs for the children if they want it. In terms of college, we should hopefully have "spare" money out of this $20,000 to put aside to put towards the costs of this. Please note that $20,000 is the bare minimum we will have without either of us working, but my partner is very keen to work at least one or two days a week therefore our annual income is likely to be higher. Not to mention I'm aware that coupons exist in Canada, and I've seen extreme couponing guys, so I'll deffo be doing that!

I am very excited about it all haha! Thanks for all the advice so far, and please don't think you are raining on my parade, don't worry about that, I just want to make sure I've considered everything, and you have all helped guide me in some way or another, so feel free to add more if you think of more!

Thanks again, much love x
Old Sep 8th 2014, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Do not underestimate the expense of living rurally. Our capital costs have been eye watering in the 18 months or so since we moved from city to acreage. Our chicken coop has cost us the best part of $5,000 with the majority of that being labour costs of an electrician to get power to it. Most tradesmen simply don't want to work on rural properties. I accept that this may be because we are not too far away from a fairly large city and that it may be different if we lived "proper rural"

What livestock are you thinking of keeping? Wooded properties and properties ideal for hay are usually mutually exclusive.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 12:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of college, we should hopefully have "spare" money out of this $20,000 to put aside to put towards the costs of this.
It's a fair while since my children went to college but one went to a college in NS. The cost for the first year was around $15,000, I don't remember how much was tuition fees and how much was residency fees and that does include the out-of-State premium but, even so, I don't think education for even one child can be financed from $20,000 of income.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 2:14 am
Just Joined

yemelade has a brilliant futureyemelade has a brilliant futureyemelade has a brilliant futureyemelade has a brilliant futureyemelade has a brilliant futureyemelade has a brilliant future

We're thinking of keeping chickens and pigs. Thanks for your input!

In terms of college education, as they'd be perm res by the time they apply, they'd be eligible for the normal fees which currently average about $5,000 per year tuition only. I would think if we put away $2.5k per year spread across 18-20 years this would be about 50k, which seems a decent amount. I agree this is something i need to look at in further depth though as admittedly it's not something I've considered or looked at too much. Thanks for the advice
Old Sep 8th 2014, 2:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

School fees? School is free in NS, no? But we both feel it is essential that we work into the budget extra classes/clubs for the children if they want it. In terms of college, we should hopefully have "spare" money out of this $20,000 to put aside to put towards the costs of this. Please note that $20,000 is the bare minimum we will have without either of us working, but my partner is very keen to work at least one or two days a week therefore our annual income is likely to be higher. Not to mention I'm aware that coupons exist in Canada, and I've seen extreme couponing guys, so I'll deffo be doing that!
When did children get introduced into this equation? That changes everything.

There's no chance that you'll have "spare change" out of $20K a year to finance future post-secondary eduction for them, not even extra classes/clubs in the meantime.

If the source of the income is fixed in terms of the revenue generated, dependent on the age of these (putative?) children, that might well be the annual tuition fees per child by the time they grow to that age.

Good that one of you wants to work "one or two days a week" but good luck with finding any paid employment in rural NS.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Sep 8th 2014 at 2:30 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.