Athabasca AB

Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

RIDD is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Athabasca AB

Hi

We are looking for any information that anyone may have on Athabasca, there is not to much that we can find on the internet but if anyone lives here or knows someone that may be able to answer the following questions we would be really gratefull:

We feel that we may be looking for jobs here so would like to know, what sort of a place is it to live, is there good rental properties available, cost of living, is there the all important Starbucks, and just people in general. We have travelled many times in Canada but never made it here, the nearest we got to Athabasca is probably Hinton or Rocky Mountain House!!

Any info really well recieved - karma to follow (in buckets)

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:57 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Athabasca AB

Originally Posted by RIDD
Hi

We are looking for any information that anyone may have on Athabasca, there is not to much that we can find on the internet but if anyone lives here or knows someone that may be able to answer the following questions we would be really gratefull:

We feel that we may be looking for jobs here so would like to know, what sort of a place is it to live, is there good rental properties available, cost of living, is there the all important Starbucks, and just people in general. We have travelled many times in Canada but never made it here, the nearest we got to Athabasca is probably Hinton or Rocky Mountain House!!

Any info really well recieved - karma to follow (in buckets)

Thanks in advance
Hi, have you looked at www.town.athabasca.ab.ca
I've never been there but it looks like a nice town from what I've found on the net.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by louise033
Hi, have you looked at www.town.athabasca.ab.ca
I've never been there but it looks like a nice town from what I've found on the net.
Hi

Thanks for the reply, we have looked at that site but were hoping to get a little more info as well, thanks for taking the time to reply tho!

R
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:47 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

According to a Google search, it's located 2 hours' drive north of Edmonton and has a population of around 2,500. (A very guick look at the website that Louise provided did not reveal the population.)

Bet they do some serious ice fishing around there.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 8:41 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
According to a Google search, it's located 2 hours' drive north of Edmonton and has a population of around 2,500. (A very guick look at the website that Louise provided did not reveal the population.)

Bet they do some serious ice fishing around there.
can't help on Athabasca, except to say it's the title of the worst book Alistair Maclean ever wrote... what should be a "rip-roaring tale of skulduggery and derring-do" in the wild wastes of the northern Alberta oilfields turns into a turgid apologia for Maclean's own alcolholism... I hope for your sake that the Athabasca in the book bears no relation at all to the town in real life!
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

JimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
can't help on Athabasca, except to say it's the title of the worst book Alistair Maclean ever wrote... what should be a "rip-roaring tale of skulduggery and derring-do" in the wild wastes of the northern Alberta oilfields turns into a turgid apologia for Maclean's own alcolholism... I hope for your sake that the Athabasca in the book bears no relation at all to the town in real life!
Oh - that was my "random pick" from the library last week and I haven't started it yet. Is it really that crap?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

webgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there,
i was there for about a month and also work there (but only have to go up there once a week or so)...so i can tell you all about Athabasca. It is a really, really small town with not much going on and very remote from everywhere else. Definitely no Starbucks, not even Tim Horton. If you like quiet, outdoorsy lifestyle, then it is for you. But access to other places...it is about 2 hours drive to Edmonton and the winter roads would be dangerous.
PM me and i can tell you all about it.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by webgirl
hi there,
i was there for about a month and also work there (but only have to go up there once a week or so)...so i can tell you all about Athabasca. It is a really, really small town with not much going on and very remote from everywhere else. Definitely no Starbucks, not even Tim Horton. If you like quiet, outdoorsy lifestyle, then it is for you. But access to other places...it is about 2 hours drive to Edmonton and the winter roads would be dangerous.
PM me and i can tell you all about it.

Thanks for the reply, I have indeed sent a PM as requested. We look forward to learning more.

Thanks a lot
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:57 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimandNic
Oh - that was my "random pick" from the library last week and I haven't started it yet. Is it really that crap?
probably not, but it's certainly not one of his best. I read it some years ago, and remember it being not as pacy or exciting as, for example, Ice Station Zebra. Mind you, nowadays it's probably sufficiently dated that the crassness of the writing doesn't matter so much - a bit like Ludlum's Bourne books, which I re-read after watching the movies, and couldn't stop snickering to myself every time somebody had to stop to use a public phone!