Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Assistance for partially sighted traveller (Air Transat/Toronto Pearson)

Assistance for partially sighted traveller (Air Transat/Toronto Pearson)

Old Aug 15th 2017, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Statham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Assistance for partially sighted traveller (Air Transat/Toronto Pearson)

Does anyone have any experience of requesting and getting assistance from an airline or airport staff in helping someone go through the travelling process. i.e. getting through check-in, security, boarding gate etc

My mother who will be visiting Canada for the first time (I'll be taking her here, but she will be returning alone) is not only an inexperienced traveller, but partially sighted. So although I can help her check in, I'm concerned that she might struggle to deal with all the steps following that and get on the plane with limited stress.

She is travelling with Air Transat, and I am just about try find a contact and send an email to customer services or to whoever it may concern, but I hope I will not be given empty promises or worse, a "sorry we cant help" reply.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2017, 1:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assistance for partially sighted traveller (Air Transat/Toronto Pearson)

There are wheelchair runners at airports who will assist in getting her from the check in to the gate and then onto the aircraft if necessary.

Best to ask both by calling in before the flight as well as when checking in, the check in staff will call whichever company they use for wheelchair service.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assistance for partially sighted traveller (Air Transat/Toronto Pearson)

I don't know if it's the same in Canada, but here airlines require you to fill in an assistance form and get it signed by your doctor. It then works very well - we've done it a few times and been as smooth as silk at both ends! Most airlines have a page on their websites where they tell you how to apply for assistance. We've used this on Qatar/emirates/Air France/Silk Air in the past few years , again with no problems.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

forgot to mention that when we've requested assistance it is printed on our boarding passes and the check in desk calls for the wheelchair guy. We once spent 7 hours in Doha, and at 5.00am, the wheelchair guy arrived to collect us!
Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Tra...ical-Equipment "other special needs"
Visual impairment

On the ground, an Air Transat agent will help you with:
Registration at the check-in counter
Moving to the boarding area
Transferring from your own mobility aid (if applicable)
Pre-boarding
On board, a crew member will give you an individual briefing on safety. We have Braille safety feature cards on all of our aircraft. Each row number of our aircraft is identified with a tactile row marker at the bottom of the overhead bins.
They require 7 days notice - email / phone contact are on that page. (also click on 'we're here to help' for instructions and info on arrival in the UK)

There's also help available at Gatwick (presuming that is where she is going to)http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the...re-you-travel/ and also http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the...-disabilities/ but you need to book it 24 hours in advance.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 15th 2017 at 4:02 am.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 6:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
I don't know if it's the same in Canada, but here airlines require you to fill in an assistance form and get it signed by your doctor. It then works very well - we've done it a few times and been as smooth as silk at both ends! Most airlines have a page on their websites where they tell you how to apply for assistance. We've used this on Qatar/emirates/Air France/Silk Air in the past few years , again with no problems.
The Uk definitely doesn't ask for anything from a doctor, and I've had wheelchair assistance from Emirates simply by phoning and requesting it. Australia doesn't need doctor's authority either.

Generally you will be the first to board, and the last to disembark. The wheelchair will take you right to the aircraft door, via any shops etc that you want to visit. If you want to use a Lounge they can drop you there then collect you for the flight. Your passenger record is marked all the way through so that all the crew both on the ground and in the air know that you are an assisted traveller.

Wheelchair assistance at Gatwick was excellent when I used it, very helpful, and wheeled me right through arrivals to find the people meeting me. That was also arranged by the airline, so Air Transat may do that as well.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently been taking under age students to Pearson to fly back to their homes.
AC has a set up where anybody who needs assistance can go to a waiting area to then be accompanied by staff right to the plane.
My students went that way but on one of my trips I saw a lady in a wheelchair there too. It cost no extra for my students so I'm assuming it would be the same for people with disabilities.

You might want to call Air Transat ahead of time to see what they can do.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 12:04 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

At Pearson, air transat has a dedicated check in desk for people requiring extra assistance.
i found them to be massively helpful when my wheelchair bound father was travelling

the only downside is that the extra assistance desk is right next to the "families with a stupid number of children " desk.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 1:27 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

My mother used Air Transat from Gatwick to Pearson often and was happy with the help she received. They don't do much, if anything for you, on the flight. Gatwick staff are helpful and Pearson especially so. We found Heathrow wasn't too good, they just left her different places without attempting to explain to her what was happening. (She's deaf and has a dodgy knee) . Air Canada have been the most helpful on the flight.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 1:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
At Pearson, air transat has a dedicated check in desk for people requiring extra assistance.
i found them to be massively helpful when my wheelchair bound father was travelling

the only downside is that the extra assistance desk is right next to the "families with a stupid number of children " desk.