Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Assistance for partially sighted traveller

Assistance for partially sighted traveller

Old Aug 28th 2019, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Kieutrang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Assistance for partially sighted traveller

Does anyone have any experience of requesting and getting assistance from an airline or airport staff in helping someone go through the travelling process. i.e. getting through check-in, security, boarding gate etc

My mother who will be visiting Canada for the first time (I'll be taking her here, but she will be returning alone) is not only an inexperienced traveller, but partially sighted. So although I can help her check in, I'm concerned that she might struggle to deal with all the steps following that and get on the plane with limited stress.

She is travelling with Air Transat, and I am just about try find a contact and send an email to customer services or to whoever it may concern, but I hope I will not be given empty promises or worse, a "sorry we cant help" reply.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2019, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assistance for partially sighted traveller

Originally Posted by Kieutrang
Does anyone have any experience of requesting and getting assistance from an airline or airport staff in helping someone go through the travelling process. i.e. getting through check-in, security, boarding gate etc

My mother who will be visiting Canada for the first time (I'll be taking her here, but she will be returning alone) is not only an inexperienced traveller, but partially sighted. So although I can help her check in, I'm concerned that she might struggle to deal with all the steps following that and get on the plane with limited stress.

She is travelling with Air Transat, and I am just about try find a contact and send an email to customer services or to whoever it may concern, but I hope I will not be given empty promises or worse, a "sorry we cant help" reply.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

Thanks
I have no experience with Air Transat. However, all other cartiers I have flown with had assistance for travellers with limitations of one sort or another. On 2 occasions I required assistance. I rang up the airline and help was waiting at check in and on arrival. They probably will put your Mum in a wheelchair and wheel her to where she needs to go.
Just call the airline. Better than email. You could have booked it with the ticket.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 12:19 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

i can confirm that Air Transat has EXCEPTIONAL service for people needing assistance.
I believe you need to book it, i think my parents used to call the customer service line but when my dad ( who wa sin a wheelchair) used to fly to Canada , he had assistance from the moment you check in to getting to the seat of the aircraft and then in reverse at the other end.

At Pearson Airtransat have a special check in desk for those needing assistance, i suspect it is similar at other airports.

Personally I am truly grateful to them, without their assistance dad wouldn't have been able to make the "one last time trip" before he passed
Old Aug 28th 2019, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Seconded re. Transat - my Mum needs some assistance these days, and we've found Transat and the ground staff at LGW/YYZ to be the best combination (AC/BA and LHR didn't seem to work as well for her, YMMV but we've tried in Y/PY/J cabins over the years).

As I recall, you can indicate that assistance will be needed at the time of booking, and then follow up if you wish (first time I did with Transat, they were very helpful and supportive over the phone).
Old Aug 28th 2019, 4:40 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Tra...ical-Equipment

Inform your travel agent or Air Transat of the services you require directly at least 7 business days prior to departure.

At departure
Visual impairment

On the ground, an Air Transat agent will help you with:
  • Registration at the check-in counter
  • Moving to the boarding area
  • Transferring from your own mobility aid (if applicable)
  • Pre-boarding
On board, a crew member will give you an individual briefing on safety.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgpz
Seconded re. Transat - my Mum needs some assistance these days, and we've found Transat and the ground staff at LGW/YYZ to be the best combination (AC/BA and LHR didn't seem to work as well for her, YMMV but we've tried in Y/PY/J cabins over the years).

As I recall, you can indicate that assistance will be needed at the time of booking, and then follow up if you wish (first time I did with Transat, they were very helpful and supportive over the phone).
Both my parents flew with Transat this summer, both required wheel chair assitance at the airport as neither can walk any distance. They booked the service in advance and said it was fantastic.