Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Assimilate, or try and stay British

Assimilate, or try and stay British

Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Assimilate, or try and stay British

I was thinking that if I'd had this forum when I first came to Canada it might have had an influence on me.

My reactions at the time were the same as many new comers: the food, the tea, the beer, the chocolate, the sense of humour, the way people dress and comport themselves, the driving, the cars were crap then too, and also a sense of wonder at the size and newness of the country. But I had no Brits to share this with. No forum, no Setanta, it cost me $600 in phone bills one month to phone my then girl friend, no "torrents" for British TV, no youtube or facebook. On the other hand not everyone and his dog claimed to be a man united supporter either!

So I dated canadian girls, drank Candian beer, gave up TV and watching sports, toned down my sense of humour, and became assimilated (to a large degree).

Good thing or bad thing - I dunno-it's just "me" now.

What do you guys and gals think?

Come over and get asimilated ASAP, or try and keep up with Corrie (or whatever cultural media you subscribe to) and remain as British as possible?

BTW - your kid are going to assimilate anyway!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:49 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assimilate, or try and stay British

I dont think it has to be an either / or thing.... It hasnt been for me anyway, but I take your point about modern technology enabling people to resist assimilation for longer. It creeps up on you anyway though.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:53 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Like Iain I don't believe it has to be an 'either / or' thing. I have assimilated into Canadian and, more specifically, Newfoundland culture but I do retain some of my essential 'Britishness' and have every intention of continuing to do so as its part of my history and persona. That doesn't include watching Cremation Street but it does include missing decent beer and bacon.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:54 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I would say the forum has probably had the opposite effect on me. I read so much whinning about how bad things are that I rebel and assimilate all the more (plus I love calgary\alberta and all it has to offer).
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Why not enjoy the best of both worlds?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:02 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
I was thinking that if I'd had this forum when I first came to Canada it might have had an influence on me.

My reactions at the time were the same as many new comers: the food, the tea, the beer, the chocolate, the sense of humour, the way people dress and comport themselves, the driving, the cars were crap then too, and also a sense of wonder at the size and newness of the country. But I had no Brits to share this with. No forum, no Setanta, it cost me $600 in phone bills one month to phone my then girl friend, no "torrents" for British TV, no youtube or facebook. On the other hand not everyone and his dog claimed to be a man united supporter either!

So I dated canadian girls, drank Candian beer, gave up TV and watching sports, toned down my sense of humour, and became assimilated (to a large degree).

Come over and get asimilated ASAP, or try and keep up with Corrie (or whatever cultural media you subscribe to) and remain as British as possible?

To me attitude and assimilation are the keys.

If you use your emotional capital railing against the way it is here and try to remain as British as possible, whining about such trivialities as the lousy baked beans, you will handicap yourself big time. When in Rome and all that. It worked for me when a was a new arrival. That was over 40 years ago. Like you say TG, in those days we had none of the hi-tech facilities for research and communication that are available today. No websites like BE and phone calls were almost prohibitive except on very special occasions. We just got on with our new lives.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:05 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't resist assimilation with such ferocity and stubbornness, there's just no need these days. Technology has allowed me to immerse myself in certain aspects of my native culture that enjoy. Football, media, banter and food etc., and thus in the same space block things I dislike about my adopted culture.
It has also lessened my tendency to whinge to the locals about how crap everything is here, which everyone has benefited from.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the people saying it's not either/or. I don't make any effort to assimilate, but neither do I make any effort to stay 'british'. Either way, trying to pin down exactly what it is to be Canadian or British is next to impossible anyway. Lets lets face it, whilst there are certainly cultural differences that we like to play up on, the western liberal outlook of north americans and brits has some real big fat similarities. Essentially, this means that north americans in the UK and brits in north america don't really need to compromise their personal values to get along just fine.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Assimilate, or try and stay British

My aim is to assimilate and embrace all things Canadian (whilst keeping my own british eccentricities of course ) - otherwise I may as well just stay in the UK........
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

drank Candian beer,
There is assimilation and then there is stupidity....by Canadian beer I assume you are referring to Blue/Ex/Canadian/50/ etc...if that is the case, you have certainly assimilated.

All kidding aside, over time the assimilation will occur in very subtle ways...resisting it is denying yourself of all that Canada has to offer...otherwise you'll become one of those whinging brits that I usually try and avoid at social events......you know the kind who think that Canadians can't do any decent TV/sports/journalism/food/ etc yet they have been here in Canada so long that the UK in its current state is like a foreign country to them....they are betwixt and between.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:16 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I don't resist assimilation with such ferocity and stubbornness, there's just no need these days. Technology has allowed me to immerse myself in certain aspects of my native culture that enjoy. Football, media, banter and food etc., and thus in the same space block things I dislike about my adopted culture.
It has also lessened my tendency to whinge to the locals about how crap everything is here, which everyone has benefited from.
Yes - I don't bore the people at work with how crap TV is here now that I don't have to watch it
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
There is assimilation and then there is stupidity....by Canadian beer I assume you are referring to Blue/Ex/Canadian/50/ etc...if that is the case, you have certainly assimilated.

I know what you're saying: when I left England CamRA was ascending and you couldn't get Bud anywhere in the UK (Hurray!) I was used to Sam Smiths etc!

So I drank Kokanee - the local lager- before it was bought out. It was pretty good 20 years ago. Then Big Rock came along and made my world a better place!!!!

But I could murder a Tadcaster Ale!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Biiba
My aim is to assimilate and embrace all things Canadian (whilst keeping my own british eccentricities of course ) - otherwise I may as well just stay in the UK........
That's the spirit - you'll get invited to lots of parties!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:34 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I, like many others on here enjoy both worlds.

Being Scottish and living in Nova Scotia, I am surrounded by all things Scottish here anyway - pipe bands, highland games, fiddles, bagpipes, tartan, etc etc heritage is all around. Not much of a culture shock at all.

I continue to watch Corrie (Canadian 10 months behind version - well it's current to me ). I have watched it since I was a kid and I love it. Mr Cookie and son watch Fox Sports soccer at the weekend.

Don't feel the need or urge to track down and pay silly prices for British foodstuffs. If they ain't in the supermarket then I use alternatives or do without. I do occassionally hanker after a chippie chip though - the fish here is lovely

I still check the Sky News and my old local newspaper online every day though. Keeps my current with UK and local news and at the same time makes me extra glad I am where I am

Last edited by Cookie; Sep 17th 2009 at 8:38 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you're saying: when I left England CamRA was ascending and you couldn't get Bud anywhere in the UK (Hurray!) I was used to Sam Smiths etc!

So I drank Kokanee - the local lager- before it was bought out. It was pretty good 20 years ago. Then Big Rock came along and made my world a better place!!!!

But I could murder a Tadcaster Ale!
Ah, the good old days when Bud was non-existant and CAMRA was a dominant force. Big Rock is excellent and there are lots of good micros in Ontario and Quebec...it just isn't worth drinking bottled UK beer or most draught UK beers here...the down time is just too long on them.

I think Kokanee and Creemore here in Ontario share many similarities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.