Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Assessment of Qualifications

Assessment of Qualifications

Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Beck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Assessment of Qualifications

Originally Posted by missb
Hi there,

I was thinking of contacting you to see how you were doing. Yeah, we know about the Job Bank. No problem finding jobs, loads in my hubby's profession, the problem is that hubby works with gases and the like and anyone working in this profession has to be licensed by the assessment body in the province they wish to work in and they get a qualification certificate if approved. We have sent the docs off today, hurrah! after wasting 2 months with so called consultants (complete waste of time and money wasted)...dont go this route...heed the advice on the site...wish I'd joined earlier in the year when we were first thinking about this. Once we get the ok from the assessment body then we can apply for jobs so we are eagerly looking forward to the next stage. What are you doing?

missb:
Hi missb

Doing ok but bit worried that I know nothing compared to everyone else in here. Feeling a bit like it will never happen at mo.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:19 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beck77
Hi missb

Doing ok but bit worried that I know nothing compared to everyone else in here. Feeling a bit like it will never happen at mo.
Hey

we have all felt like that at one point, i was told a few years ago via a real nice lady here on expats that network like mad, i really didnt get it until later on and then i relised that O yeah it works eh!!!!!

Don't just rely on expat shows in the uk, if you can afford to come and see the area that has your jobs, get over and meet and greet, we are helping a expat couple at the moment who are lovely, they have just took the phone book and is hammering all employers, even though they emailed them there resume, these employers dont really respond

For one job advertised on job bank, one employer has had 90 resumes..........
He advertised the same job 2yrs ago and got none.........so i hope that gives you an insite into what these poor employers are upto

Out of the 90 resumes, NOT one lived in the province
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Beck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
Hey

we have all felt like that at one point, i was told a few years ago via a real nice lady here on expats that network like mad, i really didnt get it until later on and then i relised that O yeah it works eh!!!!!

Don't just rely on expat shows in the uk, if you can afford to come and see the area that has your jobs, get over and meet and greet, we are helping a expat couple at the moment who are lovely, they have just took the phone book and is hammering all employers, even though they emailed them there resume, these employers dont really respond

For one job advertised on job bank, one employer has had 90 resumes..........
He advertised the same job 2yrs ago and got none.........so i hope that gives you an insite into what these poor employers are upto

Out of the 90 resumes, NOT one lived in the province
Yeah, we are coming over in Sept 2010 and hope by then to have arranged to meet potential employers. My OH is going to send his cv (resume) to engineering firms in BC and ask them if they have the time could they offer some advice as to what potential employers are looking for and if he has the right qualifications etc. I'm not looking for arranged employment, I'm going to do the spouse visa thing and find work close to where we live when I get there. Do you think this sounds sensible?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

markpeo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi missb

I agree with lancashirbird on that. You do have plenty of moments thinking it'll never happen, especially after you do apply and you get the letter saying do not expect to hear anything for 54 months! However, a rainy windy day will soon get you excited about going again! Edmonton is a nice city, and we are actually going to live in a town SW of Edmonton called Devon which is quite rural and a really nice place.

Mark
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

missb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi missb

Hey,

Dont get down about it...it's a lot to take in and think about...it's a huge step to pack up your life in one country and move to another...I know I've done it before ..but wonderful once you start experiencing a new life. Just take your time and dont do anything until you are really sure you are ready to.

Mark, thanks for the info re the form I called the office and spoke to a really nice lady who told me to contact the TFW section as there is a possibility that they could open a file and hold on to the docs when they arrive and give us time to send the correct form.

This site is great so glad that I joined

missb
Old Jul 17th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi missb,,

So glad you are doing well, and have found kindred spirits.

Best Wishes

Liz, from you know where.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Hey there,

I certainly do know from where...hope you are well...wouldn't have joined if not for you..thank you.

missb
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice
Smile Re: Assessment of Qualifications

Hi Everyone,

Not sure how they say it Canadian style yet...but I'm sure you'll all let me know I'm very new to this forum but have learned a lot by reading all the comments and various experiences. Hubby and I have got off to a bad start..retained the service of the dreaded consultant and have now lived to regret....wasted all of 2 months constantly being told some new fib each time so we finally got real...big time...and starting the process ourselves.

Hubby is an AC Technician and has his University Diplomas etc. We would like to live in Alberta..there are quite a few AC jobs there. We have contacted the Apprenticeship & Industry Training people in Alberta to get his qualifications approved as he has to get a Qualification Certificate from them first.

Is there anyone out there who is an AC Technician and who has gone through this process..

missb

Hello

I am not sure what you have been advised. Is your husband a licensed aircraft engineer or just have a degree in aerospace engineering. I work in NS with many uk aircraft engineers please feel free to pm me and I will try to answer any questions you have.

Regards
Winston
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Everyone,

Not sure how they say it Canadian style yet...but I'm sure you'll all let me know I'm very new to this forum but have learned a lot by reading all the comments and various experiences. Hubby and I have got off to a bad start..retained the service of the dreaded consultant and have now lived to regret....wasted all of 2 months constantly being told some new fib each time so we finally got real...big time...and starting the process ourselves.

Hubby is an AC Technician and has his University Diplomas etc. We would like to live in Alberta..there are quite a few AC jobs there. We have contacted the Apprenticeship & Industry Training people in Alberta to get his qualifications approved as he has to get a Qualification Certificate from them first.

Is there anyone out there who is an AC Technician and who has gone through this process..

missb
Try these:

www.workopolis.com

www.indeed.ca

Having done a quick search myself, it would seem that there is quite a demand for this type of work. The salaries are quite good also. Here is a position I found in Alberta from the Canadian Job Bank:

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/dispjb_eng....=50&Student=No

Last edited by johnh009; Jul 17th 2009 at 10:59 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks for this John. Yes there is quite a demand. Hubs just needs to get through the assessment process so that he can get an approval letter and then he can apply for jobs. We sent off the docs to the Apprenticeship Initiatives office today so fingers crossed all will fall into place. Thanks much for websites..hadn't heard of indeed.ca but has some very good jobs. We are going to send off some cv's anyway and just say we are awaiting decision form assessment body.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for this John. Yes there is quite a demand. Hubs just needs to get through the assessment process so that he can get an approval letter and then he can apply for jobs. We sent off the docs to the Apprenticeship Initiatives office today so fingers crossed all will fall into place. Thanks much for websites..hadn't heard of indeed.ca but has some very good jobs. We are going to send off some cv's anyway and just say we are awaiting decision form assessment body.
indeed.ca is quite good because it scans all other websites and newspaper ads, etc. for input. Sort of one-stop job seeking. There is also an indeed.co.uk