Reload this Page >

Assessment of Qualifications

Assessment of Qualifications

Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

missb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Assessment of Qualifications

Hi Everyone,

Not sure how they say it Canadian style yet...but I'm sure you'll all let me know I'm very new to this forum but have learned a lot by reading all the comments and various experiences. Hubby and I have got off to a bad start..retained the service of the dreaded consultant and have now lived to regret....wasted all of 2 months constantly being told some new fib each time so we finally got real...big time...and starting the process ourselves.

Hubby is an AC Technician and has his University Diplomas etc. We would like to live in Alberta..there are quite a few AC jobs there. We have contacted the Apprenticeship & Industry Training people in Alberta to get his qualifications approved as he has to get a Qualification Certificate from them first.

Is there anyone out there who is an AC Technician and who has gone through this process..

missb
Old Jul 15th 2009, 6:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assessment of Qualifications

Originally Posted by missb
Hi Everyone,

Not sure how they say it Canadian style yet...but I'm sure you'll all let me know I'm very new to this forum but have learned a lot by reading all the comments and various experiences. Hubby and I have got off to a bad start..retained the service of the dreaded consultant and have now lived to regret....wasted all of 2 months constantly being told some new fib each time so we finally got real...big time...and starting the process ourselves.

Hubby is an AC Technician and has his University Diplomas etc. We would like to live in Alberta..there are quite a few AC jobs there. We have contacted the Apprenticeship & Industry Training people in Alberta to get his qualifications approved as he has to get a Qualification Certificate from them first.

Is there anyone out there who is an AC Technician and who has gone through this process..

missb
No idea about your question I'm afraid but wanted to say welcome to the forum.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Assessment of Qualifications

Hey,

Thank you for the welcome..wish I had joined before...such a wealth of info and some laughs as well!

I was born in Amersham but grew up in High Wycombe.

Hopefully, someone at some point will respond who has been through this but if not at least hubby and I will be able to advise someone else in the future.

Thanks
missb
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Hey welcome to the forum, unfortunately I don't personally know any AC techs that have made the move to Alberta but I wish you lots of success with your plans.

You do quite often see this type of job advertised in the job section of the papers so fingers crossed for you. If I see any jobs that look interesting I'll let you know.

Sam
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Hey Sam,

Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully we wont need to much luck and everything will fall into place if it's meant to be.

Thank you
missb
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Hey Sam,

Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully we wont need to much luck and everything will fall into place if it's meant to be.

Thank you
missb
I always say if its meant to be then its meant to be !!!!!!!!

Let me know if you need help with anything.

Sam
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Beck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud of

Hi there!

I too am new to the forum but love it. For the first time since I started posting threads and replies I can actually help I think. You could try looking at

www.jobbank.gc.ca

Not sure if it's any good just saw it in a magazine!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,

I was thinking of contacting you to see how you were doing. Yeah, we know about the Job Bank. No problem finding jobs, loads in my hubby's profession, the problem is that hubby works with gases and the like and anyone working in this profession has to be licensed by the assessment body in the province they wish to work in and they get a qualification certificate if approved. We have sent the docs off today, hurrah! after wasting 2 months with so called consultants (complete waste of time and money wasted)...dont go this route...heed the advice on the site...wish I'd joined earlier in the year when we were first thinking about this. Once we get the ok from the assessment body then we can apply for jobs so we are eagerly looking forward to the next stage. What are you doing?

missb:
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

markpeo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I was thinking of contacting you to see how you were doing. Yeah, we know about the Job Bank. No problem finding jobs, loads in my hubby's profession, the problem is that hubby works with gases and the like and anyone working in this profession has to be licensed by the assessment body in the province they wish to work in and they get a qualification certificate if approved. We have sent the docs off today, hurrah! after wasting 2 months with so called consultants (complete waste of time and money wasted)...dont go this route...heed the advice on the site...wish I'd joined earlier in the year when we were first thinking about this. Once we get the ok from the assessment body then we can apply for jobs so we are eagerly looking forward to the next stage. What are you doing?

missb:
Hello,

I presume you are still in the UK from your first post. Which form have you sent off? is it the one entitled Qualification Certificate - Work experience application? I only ask, as I have recently had mine returned ( electrician & millwright applications) as they will not accept this form unless you reside in Canada. It's a right pain in the rear, as I rang the Edmonon office loads of times and eventually spoke to somebody who said it would be OK to send it from the UK. Since having it returned I have called the Calgary office and they confirmed what I know now, also they were easier to contact and much more helpfull.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by markpeo
Hello,

I presume you are still in the UK from your first post. Which form have you sent off? is it the one entitled Qualification Certificate - Work experience application? I only ask, as I have recently had mine returned ( electrician & millwright applications) as they will not accept this form unless you reside in Canada. It's a right pain in the rear, as I rang the Edmonon office loads of times and eventually spoke to somebody who said it would be OK to send it from the UK. Since having it returned I have called the Calgary office and they confirmed what I know now, also they were easier to contact and much more helpfull.
Hi there,

I actually called the Alberta Apprenticeship & Industry Training body and spoke to Jones Mitchell and told him that hubby works in the Cayman Islands etc etc and he asked if the application was based on experience and said that he would send me the form and this was the one he sent us. I sent the form off today so not happy if this is the case. The form actually says if you are a Temporary Foreign Worker then you have to fill out another form...is this the one that you are doing? Going to call tomorrow to make sure.

missb
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,

I actually called the Alberta Apprenticeship & Industry Training body and spoke to Jones Mitchell and told him that hubby works in the Cayman Islands etc etc and he asked if the application was based on experience and said that he would send me the form and this was the one he sent us. I sent the form off today so not happy if this is the case. The form actually says if you are a Temporary Foreign Worker then you have to fill out another form...is this the one that you are doing? Going to call tomorrow to make sure.

missb
Hi,

This sounds very familiar to the conversations I had. I did not use the TFW form as I have just been granted permanent residence. The TFW form is only if you have a temporary working visa. I have a job at edmonon airport but did not require a temporary working visa as i was so close to getting my permanent residence when i applied for the job. I explained this to the AAIT and they said no problem, use the work experience application. I did want it all in place before I left, but now I will send the application once we arrive. Fortunately, there is a 6 month period I can work whilst getting my qualification granted. They did refund my money, so not all bad, just frustrating.

Mark
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:19 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if you guys/girls know that YES they can check your qualifications from the uk, but you will have to send in your original certificates and letters so they can look at them and take copys, plus you will need to make sure that you get letters from your employers to show that you have 9000hrs after your training etc....
Once done, you are able to work for your employer for 6mths before you have to sit the red seal exam, sadly they do not just swop your qualifications over.

We came over on TWP as hubby is an electrician, so i am aware so well of the redseal steps here in alberta

If you need any advise drop me a message.......
Hey rishton i see on your tab
Old Jul 16th 2009, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
Not sure if you guys/girls know that YES they can check your qualifications from the uk, but you will have to send in your original certificates and letters so they can look at them and take copys, plus you will need to make sure that you get letters from your employers to show that you have 9000hrs after your training etc....
Once done, you are able to work for your employer for 6mths before you have to sit the red seal exam, sadly they do not just swop your qualifications over.

We came over on TWP as hubby is an electrician, so i am aware so well of the redseal steps here in alberta

If you need any advise drop me a message.......
Hey rishton i see on your tab
Hi Lancashirebird,

How long have you been over there? It seems the process I have gone through/am going through is a little different. I have had to send certified copies of my certificates as they specificaly said NOT originals. When I sent my application off (not the TFW but the work experience one) they said it would be OK to apply from the UK. However, 5 weeks later it was returned saying they no longer accept these applications from abroad and I would have to use a TFW application or wait until I landed to re-submit the work experience application. But like I said, i do not need the TFW application as I now have PR status and will just resubmit it when I get there.

Anyway, yes Rishton (originally Huyton, Liverpool) have been here 9 years. I take you are from or lived here as well?

"the bridge" - Lethbridge?

Last edited by markpeo; Jul 16th 2009 at 3:58 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beck77
Hi there!

I too am new to the forum but love it. For the first time since I started posting threads and replies I can actually help I think. You could try looking at

www.jobbank.gc.ca

Not sure if it's any good just saw it in a magazine!
Hi Beck77,

Merseyside? Where abouts. Where are you planing on going? We are ready to move to Edmonton, however a cockup with the visas has delayed us for a few weeks. Not a happy bunny. Still cain't wait to get their though.

Mark
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Beck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markpeo
Hi Beck77,

Merseyside? Where abouts. Where are you planing on going? We are ready to move to Edmonton, however a cockup with the visas has delayed us for a few weeks. Not a happy bunny. Still cain't wait to get their though.

Mark
I'm from Wirral and am planning to go to BC. That said I really liked Edmonton when I visited but couldn't live right in the city as am a country girl at heart! I am waiting till I attend this emigrating seminar thingy in Sept till I make final decision about going. I have to write a pro and con list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.