Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Aspiring to move to Edmonton - guidance required please :)

Aspiring to move to Edmonton - guidance required please :)

Old Dec 23rd 2018, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Elnino05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aspiring to move to Edmonton - guidance required please :)

I moved from Uk 2.5 years ago. I just exchanged my British licence for a Canadian one. I landed in Calgary but hubby for us a job in Edmonton. He secured the job before leaving the Uk. I actually did go smoothly as interview was done over Skype. All the best in your choice.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 12:00 am
Just Joined

VishUK2Canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elnino05
I moved from Uk 2.5 years ago. I just exchanged my British licence for a Canadian one. I landed in Calgary but hubby for us a job in Edmonton. He secured the job before leaving the Uk. I actually did go smoothly as interview was done over Skype. All the best in your choice.
Thanks for your response Elnino. Great to know your hubby secured a job prior to moving to Canada. Did he also go through normal job search via indeed etc or had assistance from someone known?

I am so glad you settling in well.

Btw Merry Christmas to all, hope everyone had a great Christmas
Old Dec 26th 2018, 5:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Driving Licenses are Provincial, not Canadian... I presume you exchanged your license within the time limit to do so? https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-...-licences.aspx
"Landing" by the way is a term used when you "Land" with your COPR to become a Permanent Resident, rather than the physical act of arriving at an airport as a visitor or temp worker.. so were you here under TWP's or as Permanent Residents?

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 26th 2018 at 5:12 am.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I did soft landing back in September ( Vancouver) and got my PR card posted to a friend living in a different province, they sent it over once they received after about 6 weeks. I wasn’t asked for a goods list and the officer told me to do it when I plan to move their permanently.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Elnino05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VishUK2Canada
Thanks for your response Elnino. Great to know your hubby secured a job prior to moving to Canada. Did he also go through normal job search via indeed etc or had assistance from someone known?

I am so glad you settling in well.

Btw Merry Christmas to all, hope everyone had a great Christmas
Job was through indeed. They did not mind doing the interview though Skype. Hence, the job was waiting for him on arrival. All the best for 2019. In between, might be heading back to Uk after citizenship though.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by UKexpat82
Hi, I did soft landing back in September ( Vancouver) and got my PR card posted to a friend living in a different province, they sent it over once they received after about 6 weeks. I wasn’t asked for a goods list and the officer told me to do it when I plan to move their permanently.

Thanks a lot ukexpat82 for responding and also informing about the goods bit. I feel I am going to be in more or less the same shoes as yours.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Job was through indeed. They did not mind doing the interview though Skype. Hence, the job was waiting for him on arrival. All the best for 2019. In between, might be heading back to Uk after citizenship though.

It is great to see that it is actually possible to secure a job from the UK. I am sure it takes a lot of hard work but I suppose if you tenacious and keep at it, things may fall in place. I must take a leaf out of this and keep pushing.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and I wish you all a fantastic new year.

Thanks a lot for your responses, I really appreciate it.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Driving Licenses are Provincial, not Canadian... I presume you exchanged your license within the time limit to do so? https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-...-licences.aspx
"Landing" by the way is a term used when you "Land" with your COPR to become a Permanent Resident, rather than the physical act of arriving at an airport as a visitor or temp worker.. so were you here under TWP's or as Permanent Residents?

Thanks for sharing the link with us all and to provide more insight regarding driving license