British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/arriving-vancouver-transfer-van-island-dog-advice-935331/)

scilly Oct 28th 2020 10:34 pm

Re: Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :)

Just another warning ................. the same ferry that was out of action about 10 days ago, is out of action once again, with a different mechanical problem as of today. They're providing notice day-by-day, with no indication as to how long it will be out of service.

Although this ferry is not on the Vancouver-Victoria run, its absence means that a ferry is being diverted from the Victoria run to replace the disabled ferry.

If you are still thinking of taking the ferry, do keep checking on the ferry site

bcferries.com

Service notices, schedules, booking, reservation, etc.

dj322 Feb 1st 2021 12:44 pm

I will be heading back to the island from the UK in the next month or two. As part of the requirements, I was hoping to quarantine in my flat on the island, but am I allowed to travel to Victoria from Vancouver using the ferry? I know you are not allowed to stay in the car during travel but just wanted to know if anyone has done this and what their actual experience was like. Thanks.

DigitalGhost Feb 1st 2021 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by dj322 (Post 12966797)
I will be heading back to the island from the UK in the next month or two. As part of the requirements, I was hoping to quarantine in my flat on the island, but am I allowed to travel to Victoria from Vancouver using the ferry? I know you are not allowed to stay in the car during travel but just wanted to know if anyone has done this and what their actual experience was like. Thanks.

Under the current rules, yes, you are allowed to take public transit including internal flights as long as you take the fastest route to your destination. If you have residence on the island then aside of renting a helicopter, I'm not sure how you would really get there without using some form of public transportation.

scilly Feb 1st 2021 5:10 pm

New regulations will come into effect on Feb 3rd that will require that incoming passengers take a test at the arrival airport, and then isolate for 3 days at a government approved hotel, at a cost of around $2,000 pp (to cover the cost of the test, room, all food, private security cost, and a charge for the hotel to cover the extra costs involved in serving isolating guests). The room has to be pre-booked by the passenger.

f the test is negative, the passenger is then allowed to move on to quarantine in approved accommodation for the next 11 days. Regular in-person checks will be made by a private security company (paid for by the feds) during that time to ensure that quarantine rules are upheld, and there will also be regular phone checks by the health authority as to the health.

If the test returns positive, the passenger will be moved to a federal run quarantine, with all costs covered by the feds.

Some of the details for this programme are still being worked out as it only came into effect yesterday.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...al-travel.html

IF these regulations are still in effect when you travel then you will not be allowed to travel immediately, and the authorities might well not approve a plan to move to the Island for the self-isolation as that requires you to travel on public transport and I think all passengers now have to leave their cars while on the ferry.

One of the reasons why I think (and it is only my opinion) that the regulations might be in effect for longer is that we have a lack of vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna (the only 2 accepted by Health Canada up to now) which has meant an almost complete halt to vaccinations. Pfizer delivery is supposed to resume next week, but almost certainly not in the required quantities.

If the Feds believe that a) infection rates are still high in foreign countries, and b) vaccination rates here are still far too low, then I think it is possible that the new regulations may well be extended.

Also note that BC has stated that non-essential travel between Health Regions (eg Vancouver Health and Island Health) is restricted and should not be undertaken.

Of course people are still making non-essential trips (eg to Whistler) .......... but it would be up to the Officer at the airport to decide whether you could travel from there to the Island without first isolating.

unobscure Feb 2nd 2021 6:46 pm

As part of the requirements, I was hoping to quarantine in my flat on the island, but am I allowed to travel to Victoria from Vancouver using the ferry? I know you are not allowed to stay in the car during travel but just wanted to know if anyone has done this and what their actual experience was like. Thanks.

As per previous post the rules have just changed and you will have to quarantine for at least 3 days in a hotel at your expense.

Re the ferries - actually if you arrive early, you should be able to get on the upper deck, in which case you are allowed to stay in your vehicle.

DigitalGhost Feb 2nd 2021 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by unobscure (Post 12967355)
As per previous post the rules have just changed and you will have to quarantine for at least 3 days in a hotel at your expense.

Re the ferries - actually if you arrive early, you should be able to get on the upper deck, in which case you are allowed to stay in your vehicle.

They haven't changed yet. Testing on arrival starts from 4th February but has already started in Toronto. The hotel quarantine will be introduced at some point in the next few weeks.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...nada-1.5292426

Splitvw2 Feb 24th 2021 4:29 am

So been a while, We are finally here (well we arrived 9th November) we did all we had to and drove our selves across to self isolation for 2 weeks and are now living in Langford. Working in uptown and having a ball, thanks for all the help and answers to my questions now to be a little more active on here and give something back. 😊 🙏🏻

dj322 Feb 24th 2021 9:31 am

That's really good to hear. If you miss any UK foods/snacks, make sure to check out Market on Millstream, they have a really large selection of UK goodies. I went there many times when I was missing Digestives, Walker crisps or Cadburys chocolates!

I am looking at coming back to Victoria soon, and apparently after the 3 day hotel quarantine, you can take a connecting flight rather than the ferry. That's the plan, but making plans these days during Covid times seems precarious at the moment! :)

TheAwesomeMatt Feb 25th 2021 2:08 am

If the Market on Millstream is anything like the Market on Yates then the British section might have been recently reduced, but London Drugs, Walmart and Save on Foods have decent enough British sections.

Welcome to Victoria, I hope you like it here.