Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :)

Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :)

Old Oct 17th 2020, 9:59 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2019
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 4
Splitvw2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :)

So an update, things are all go my work permit has been approved so I am looking at flying out of UK on 5th November into 2 weeks self isolation. The issues I need to sort are my dog (Milo) I have a quote to Vancouver but I will be isolating in Victoria so need to get him transferred (I’ve had a quote for this but it is almost as expensive as the quote from UK to Vancouver 😢😢) or hire a vehicle large enough to take him and us from Vancouver to Victoria on the Ferry. The other issue is a little easier and that is accommodation for self isolation, I am thinking of going for an air BnB, with support from my cousin dropping shopping to us. Has anyone had any experience or heard of any recently with newbies in the current situation?
Splitvw2 is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2020, 10:20 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 3,189
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Question Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :)

Have you considered whether you can get from Vancouver to Victoria by car and ferry without stopping ANYWHERE??

The BC authorities still want you to isolate for 14 days on arrival without going into grocery stores, eating in a cafe or restaurant (eg, on the ferry), or overnighting.
scilly is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2020, 10:43 pm
  #3  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,041
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Question Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :)

Originally Posted by scilly View Post
Have you considered whether you can get from Vancouver to Victoria by car and ferry without stopping ANYWHERE??

The BC authorities still want you to isolate for 14 days on arrival without going into grocery stores, eating in a cafe or restaurant (eg, on the ferry), or overnighting.
You can hire a vehicle still, provided you then go directly to your place of quarantine, I presume provided they book the ferry in advance (and wear a mask while on it) they should be allowed to travel.. they can check here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...ed-by-covid-19
The OP may need to consider asking the cousin to collect the dog and transport it to Van Island .. transfers for the dog may not be possible in November, depending on the temperatures.. many airlines won't allow transfers after a certain date/ temperature.. (and very expensive, regardless).
Siouxie is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2020, 12:46 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 197
TheAwesomeMatt has a brilliant futureTheAwesomeMatt has a brilliant futureTheAwesomeMatt has a brilliant futureTheAwesomeMatt has a brilliant futureTheAwesomeMatt has a brilliant futureTheAwesomeMatt has a brilliant future
Question Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :)

Welcome to Victoria, BC. Been here for a while and it's a great little place, far from perfect but hopefully you'll like it. Good luck finding a place to live with your dog.

Not sure if you can get to Victoria on the ferry if you're supposed to be quarantined for 14 days, there are federal regulations that prevent you staying in your car during the ride.
TheAwesomeMatt is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2020, 2:50 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 3,189
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Question Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :)

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
You can hire a vehicle still, provided you then go directly to your place of quarantine, I presume provided they book the ferry in advance (and wear a mask while on it) they should be allowed to travel.. they can check here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...ed-by-covid-19
The OP may need to consider asking the cousin to collect the dog and transport it to Van Island .. transfers for the dog may not be possible in November, depending on the temperatures.. many airlines won't allow transfers after a certain date/ temperature.. (and very expensive, regardless).

I'm aware of the renting/leasing a car etc. I was thinking more of the following ........

When the flight got in vs time of last ferry, remembering that the ferry terminal is ca 30 minutes drive from the airport, and ca 35 minutes from the terminal on the other end to Victoria.

If the flight is late or they are delayed, so they miss the ferry that they have reserved on, then how will they get across. If you miss your reservation time, then you go into the waiting line for the next ferry ........... what if the last ferry was the one they miss or is full?

The weather .......... this is the time of Pacific storm after storm, and the ferries to and from the mainland and Victoria are often delayed/cancelled because of high winds. I get notices 2 or 3 times a week re delayed or suspended ferries at this time of year.

If they can stay in the car or not .... that depends on whether the car is put on a closed or "open" deck, ie one with open "windows" to the outside. If on a closed deck, the ferry corporation has now reverted back to government regulations that all passengers must leave their cars and go to the upper passenger levels. If the latter, they may be able to stay in their car although tis is still somewhat "iffy at the moment.

Will they have enough food to last them from the airport to Victoria ......... no going in grocery stores OR presumably to the cafeteria on the ferry.

Is being on the passenger level considered breaking the quarantine law?

Can they arrange to have necessary items such as food delivered to wherever they are staying before they arrive?

Finally, either the BC or Federal officials at the airport could say that these arrangements do not fit, and will insist that quarantine occurs before going to the island.

Last edited by scilly; Oct 18th 2020 at 2:53 am.
scilly is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2020, 3:41 am
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,041
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :)

Originally Posted by Splitvw2 View Post
So an update, things are all go my work permit has been approved so I am looking at flying out of UK on 5th November into 2 weeks self isolation. The issues I need to sort are my dog (Milo) I have a quote to Vancouver but I will be isolating in Victoria so need to get him transferred (I’ve had a quote for this but it is almost as expensive as the quote from UK to Vancouver 😢😢) or hire a vehicle large enough to take him and us from Vancouver to Victoria on the Ferry. The other issue is a little easier and that is accommodation for self isolation, I am thinking of going for an air BnB, with support from my cousin dropping shopping to us. Has anyone had any experience or heard of any recently with newbies in the current situation?
I moved this part of your thread to a new thread on the main Canada forum as it's not Immigration related (we try to keep the Immi forum just for immigration / citizenship questions)..
Hope you get the move over sorted - don't forget to include the dog on your 'goods accompanying / goods to follow' list (depending how it's arriving). - more on this (and moving generally) in our wiki : https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...gistics-Canada
Siouxie is offline  
Old Yesterday, 8:09 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 38
unobscure is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :)

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
You can hire a vehicle still, provided you then go directly to your place of quarantine,
+1 to this.
We arrived in May and hired a car to get to our destination. However there are some odd issues around that....

Do you rent it for a day or do you rent it for two weeks and have it sitting outside doing nothing (given that you can't go anywhere). If for a day how do you return it, given that you have to go straight to your accommodation and not go anywhere thereafter. One option is to get someone else to return it (after disinfecting it) but that requires that they be registered at the time of rental.

Tips:
1. You can set up an account with Save On Food for online grocery shopping and delivery BEFORE you travel to Canada. So you can actually place an order scheduled for delivery on the evening you arrive/next day (they accept overseas credit cards).
2. We had a relative stock the fridge before we arrived which was even better.
3. If you need to communicate with people then getting someone to arrange local pay as you go sim cards is very useful to avoid huge roaming changes on a UK/Other phone. Alternatively if the the accommodation has Internet you can make Skype etc online calls.
4. On arrival in Vancouver your hound will be in its crate at the oversized luggage location. When you have cleared immigration and customs and exited into the arrivals area you can go out the main doors and across the road (towards the carpark/car rental locations) and there is a small dog toilet area.
5. One thing our shipping/moving co didn't tell us is that you need individual values for all the items you ship. We had insured the shipment for X amount total so we didn't write down the individual item values on our list... which we then needed when we arrived at customs.

I hope you have had some luck finding an AirB&B that will accept pet. We have been looking to relocate the the Island (we are in the Fraser Valley at the moment) for a few months in order to better look for somewhere to buy but can't find any ABnB that will take a dog.

Last edited by unobscure; Yesterday at 8:23 am.
unobscure is offline  
Old Yesterday, 4:38 pm
  #8  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,041
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :)

Originally Posted by unobscure View Post
+1 to this.
We arrived in May and hired a car to get to our destination. However there are some odd issues around that....

Do you rent it for a day or do you rent it for two weeks and have it sitting outside doing nothing (given that you can't go anywhere). If for a day how do you return it, given that you have to go straight to your accommodation and not go anywhere thereafter. One option is to get someone else to return it (after disinfecting it) but that requires that they be registered at the time of rental.

Tips:
1. You can set up an account with Save On Food for online grocery shopping and delivery BEFORE you travel to Canada. So you can actually place an order scheduled for delivery on the evening you arrive/next day (they accept overseas credit cards).
2. We had a relative stock the fridge before we arrived which was even better.
3. If you need to communicate with people then getting someone to arrange local pay as you go sim cards is very useful to avoid huge roaming changes on a UK/Other phone. Alternatively if the the accommodation has Internet you can make Skype etc online calls.
4. On arrival in Vancouver your hound will be in its crate at the oversized luggage location. When you have cleared immigration and customs and exited into the arrivals area you can go out the main doors and across the road (towards the carpark/car rental locations) and there is a small dog toilet area.
5. One thing our shipping/moving co didn't tell us is that you need individual values for all the items you ship. We had insured the shipment for X amount total so we didn't write down the individual item values on our list... which we then needed when we arrived at customs.

I hope you have had some luck finding an AirB&B that will accept pet. We have been looking to relocate the the Island (we are in the Fraser Valley at the moment) for a few months in order to better look for somewhere to buy but can't find any ABnB that will take a dog.

Great post, thanks for the useful info!

Try Home to Go instead of Air bnb, they gather info from all the different websites. Booking.com is another that has 'Covid' deals. or VRBO There are quite a few that allow pets. (VRBO seem to have the many deals)

As to car hire, If you use Enterprise / Budget or one of the others, they have branches on Vancouver Island.. so you could ask them if they could collect it, perhaps. https://www.enterprise.ca/en/car-rental/one-way.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Yesterday at 4:41 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Yesterday, 5:21 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 3,189
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :)

Just another example of the problems with the ferry system here.

I got a Ferries Service Notice last night................ one of the ferries servicing the mainland and Nanaimo, which is in the middle of the island, has developed some major mechanical problem and was taken out of service yesterday. There is currently no information on how long it will take, and 2 other ferries are undergoing refits, meaning some cuts in service are necessary for "the time being".

Ferries still in service have been reorganised and one taken off the route from the Mainland to Victoria (the route the OP wants to take), this means that one departure to Victoria today has been cancelled.

The Ferry corporation will refund fares paid by those who have reserved and will attempt to contact everyone involved so they can make alternate plans, or get on the next sailing if possible.


It is not that I dislike the ferry, in fact I love them although I would not take one at the moment unless we had some sort of urgent need to get to the Island. However, there are always problems that can occur that people who do not live here are often unaware of.
scilly is offline  
Old Yesterday, 5:37 pm
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 24,789
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving Vancouver transfer to Van Island, with dog, advice :)

Did you by chance try calling Pacific Coastal Airlines?

It's been a few years since I used them, but their cargo rates last time I used them were pretty fair for live animals, looks like they only have 2 flights per day between YVR and Victoria, but if you haven't might be worth contacting and asking them.

It might even be possible for the dog to be transferred from the main terminal to South Terminal, but it all depends on what airline you are originating with and if Pacific Coastal has any interline agreements in place with said airline.

Harbor Air as well, they may accept dogs as cargo.



Jsmth321 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.