Arriving in Montreal on Friday!

Wikiposts

Arriving in Montreal on Friday!

Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Ron&Sharron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arriving in Montreal on Friday!

Hi everyone.

I am arriving in Montreal on Friday in preparation for starting a new job on Monday. I have my accomodation sorted but I am just after some info on a couple of things that I want to sort out when I land and wondered if anyone could give me the information before I go.
My main 2 main priorities when I arrive are sorting out a mobile phone (PAYGO) would be fine initially and a bank account. I am aware that I will need a lease or equivalent for the bank account plus ID etc.

If anyone can recommend phone providers and banks that they have used it would be greatly appreciated.

I will also be travelling with a wifi equipped laptop so info on wireless hotspots, access and cost would be good too. BTOpenzone in the UK have a list for hotspots that you can download and I was looking for similar info in Montreal. My wife and I are planning to use SKYPE as a cheap means of staying in touch (when I can get online) until she arrives with the children in November.

Ron
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Default Re: Arriving in Montreal on Friday!

Arriving in Montreal is like arriving in Paris, France!
So be prepared.

Cellphones - Check regarding how much you will pay to RECEIVE calls!!!

Bank - Pick one that is local to the areas you will frequent, for convenience!

TD Canada Trust just wanted to see a Passport, they accept your word on a Canadian address, if you show that you still have a live account in the UK, with an address to that one.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Hi Ron

Welcome to Montreal!

I am afraid I don't have much info. for you but can say regarding banks we were with Scotia and have just switched to TD who we are much happier with. Scotia were very old fashioned and laborious for getting anything done whereas TD seems more (well a bit anyway) comparable to a UK bank - for us anyway and we can do more online and every experience we have had with them has been good so far.

We have been here 2 years now so if there is anything else I may be able to help with feel free to ask
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Ooh, found this for you:

http://www.montreal.com/tourism/intacc.html
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Arriving in Montreal on Friday!

Originally Posted by tallperson
Thanks for the info. I will check out the phone prices when I arrive. Did find the following site which may be of use to others though www.0044.co.uk I won't be using it myself as I don't know how the prices compare. As for internet access my accommodation has free Hi-speed internet access so that is no longer an issue.

Ron
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon my interest and don't answer if you don't want to, but, do you speak French ? If not, why Montreal ?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
Pardon my interest and don't answer if you don't want to, but, do you speak French ? If not, why Montreal ?
Hi dbd33, I am starting a new job with Bombardier in Dorval on 24th October. I have worked in the aircraft industry for about 18 years now but only in Europe so far. I was offered the job with Bombardier and my wife and I decided it was too good an opportunity to turn down for us and our boys. I am arriving on a 2 year work permit and my wife and sons will be joining me in November.
We have been reading the posts on here for quite some time but most seem to be going to Canada without jobs whereas I have been fortunate to be offered one before I arrive. I passed french at O level at school so I will have to brush up on it. My wife is planning to take lessons when she arrives.

Ron
Old Oct 20th 2005, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ron&Sharron
Hi dbd33, I am starting a new job with Bombardier in Dorval on 24th October. I have worked in the aircraft industry for about 18 years now but only in Europe so far. I was offered the job with Bombardier and my wife and I decided it was too good an opportunity to turn down for us and our boys. I am arriving on a 2 year work permit and my wife and sons will be joining me in November.
We have been reading the posts on here for quite some time but most seem to be going to Canada without jobs whereas I have been fortunate to be offered one before I arrive. I passed french at O level at school so I will have to brush up on it. My wife is planning to take lessons when she arrives.

Ron
Hi Ron

We live 10 mins. from Dorval! Do you plan to live on the West Island or downtown?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:01 am
Just Joined

Cool Re: Arriving in Montreal on Friday!

Originally Posted by tallperson
Hi Ron

We live 10 mins. from Dorval! Do you plan to live on the West Island or downtown?
Hi tallperson,

We haven't decided on an exact location yet obviously it would have to be easy to travel to work but I'm not worried about commuting either. I'm hoping to get more of a feel for the area once I'm there and before my wife and boys join me. So any suggestions/recommendations/experiences are HUGELY welcome.

Our main objective is to choose an area that is good for schooling, good public transport links etc. We would like to minimise the effect this change has on the boys by moving as little as possible once we arrive. Our intention is just to rent somewhere furnished until after Christmas and then start looking in earnest after the New Year. We have spoken to the people at Southwestone.ca and I will check them out before my wife arrives.

Ron
Old Oct 20th 2005, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Hey, hope you enjoy Montreal. I love it

Here's what i use

bank: bank of montreal
cellphone: rogers wireless
home phone: bell canada
internet: videotron
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Ron

Have sent you a PM.

Tallperson
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:13 am
Just Joined

montrealhereicome is an unknown quantity at this point

I was beginning to think that no one on this board lived in Montreal.

Good luck at Bombardier mate.

I'm coming to work at RR which is also based near Dorval in a few weeks for the foreseeable future.

Just in time for the snow. (eh)

P.S Quebecois is a bit different from french as I discovered the last time I was there, but you'll soon pick it up.