Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arriving in Halifax next Monday!!!!!

Arriving in Halifax next Monday!!!!!

Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:52 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arriving in Halifax next Monday!!!!!

Well the long holiday is over, from selling our house in NZ and visiting family in the UK over Christmas - the flights are booked (dear me, the cost at this time of year!!!) and we are arriving to start work next week. Not the best time of year to start a new life, woefully unprepared, but its an adventure afterall!

We are renting a Minivan for a week and in that week need to find a cheap car, some longer term rental accommodation, schools, bank accounts and everything that we havent even thought about that will likely crop up and surprise us. We have got info regarding SIN and medical cards, so thats a start.

Just narrowing down where we will stay for the first fortnight or so, got some good offers of $350 a week for some suites with kitchenettes - but any great ideas or suggestions are very welcome as we have yet to actually make a reservation!

Well this has been a long time coming and now its here, its of course a little daunting (to say the least) - more the time of year than anything else. So any optomism and advice is greatly welcomed!!!!

Off to try an repack our 10 bulging cases!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving in Halifax next Monday!!!!!

You lucky thing. Happy landings.
Lynn
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Well the long holiday is over, from selling our house in NZ and visiting family in the UK over Christmas - the flights are booked (dear me, the cost at this time of year!!!) and we are arriving to start work next week. Not the best time of year to start a new life, woefully unprepared, but its an adventure afterall!

We are renting a Minivan for a week and in that week need to find a cheap car, some longer term rental accommodation, schools, bank accounts and everything that we havent even thought about that will likely crop up and surprise us. We have got info regarding SIN and medical cards, so thats a start.

Just narrowing down where we will stay for the first fortnight or so, got some good offers of $350 a week for some suites with kitchenettes - but any great ideas or suggestions are very welcome as we have yet to actually make a reservation!

Well this has been a long time coming and now its here, its of course a little daunting (to say the least) - more the time of year than anything else. So any optomism and advice is greatly welcomed!!!!

Good Luck, Poppy we're following you a week later, I know what you mean about the cost of flights at this time of year!

Rosie
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:05 pm
Going for a Soda

TiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to Halifax! It does seem daunting, but once you start it's fine - just focus on one thing at a time.

People here are pretty helpful, even if they can't help you they know someone who can! We've had more luck finding car deals, tradesmen and doctors in a few weeks than we did in a whole year living in Toronto...
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

nixfix is a jewel in the roughnixfix is a jewel in the roughnixfix is a jewel in the roughnixfix is a jewel in the rough

So your long wait is over!! We should be following in a week or 3 as well (supposed to start work Feb 4th, but LMO paperwork hasn't arrived yet)
Have sent you PM
Old Jan 7th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Hi There, I knew you would surface at sometime............You have alot to do when you get here but I shall email my phon number just incase...where do you want to live?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RodRos&Co.
Good Luck, Poppy we're following you a week later, I know what you mean about the cost of flights at this time of year!

Rosie
Rosie I thought you were heading to NB....did I miss something or are you flying into Halifax and driving to NB? Are all the kids coming with you? I guess your wait is almost over!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Wow - and it's warming up here too! Good luck - try googling kijiji or craigslist for accommodation if you haven't already.

Last edited by Ontheboatout; Jan 8th 2008 at 12:58 am.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck and best wishes
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope your new life is all you want it to be!

Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Corky
Rosie I thought you were heading to NB....did I miss something or are you flying into Halifax and driving to NB? Are all the kids coming with you? I guess your wait is almost over!
Hi Corky

I've sent you a PM, sorry Poppy thread hi jack

Rosie
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:04 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe you're almost there, I didn't realise you'd sold your house and had flights booked. Wow, scary.

Good luck with everything when you land. We could have offered you our house to rent but it's already been rented out for another 3 months to the people we bought it off, then we have to come out in March/April to furnish the bloomin thing, shame you weren't going out then.

Anyway, good luck with the move and new job. Let us know how it all went when you are settled.

Karen
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:51 am
Since 010205

l i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nice

Hi and Welcome to Nova Scotia

There is a lot to do first off but it's all pretty straight forward and people here in NS can't do enough to help. We've been here just over 2 months now and are loving it

Good luck with everything and I'm around if you need anything - just give me a shout. PM coming your way too.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:08 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone!! I cant beleive there are so many people who are in NS, or have not long got there or are still to come - its amazing! And a good sign if you ask me.

One probably strange question - when I reply to a post on Kijiji it says the message has been successfully sent, but I never get a reply. At first we found it was the fact we were in NZ, for some reason it wasnt allowing us to post or reply, but the same silence is happening with our Gmail account. Is it just sensitive to non-Canadian email addresses??

Anyway, thats by the by. I am trying really hard to get an answer to a mortgage question, one which I think I know the answer to but just want to be double clear on. I have emailed a few people from Kijiji with no reply.

We are coming over on a 2 year Work Visa/Permit and will apply for residency as soon as we arrive. As we have a job in a small field that there is demand for, we assume that getting residency will be fairly straight forward. Anyway, we understand that as non-residents we would need to find upwards of 35% deposit to buy a house - we have a very inflexible 5%. Now a Haligonian friend seems to think that a letter from our manager and going to a broker who has more lenders to choose from might bring us some buying potential - does anyone have any thoughts on this??

Or any contact details for a mortgage broker I can contact in what remains of this week?
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Poppy2;5754246]Well the long holiday is over, from selling our house in NZ

Hi Poppy

Like to add my best wishes and the very best for your new life in Canada like others on here didnt realise you had sold your house in NZ sorry cant help with the mortgage question but from your last post it sounds like youve got a few people around who can give you the advice you need .
Best of luck in your new job by the way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.