Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arriving in Halifax next Monday!!!!!

Arriving in Halifax next Monday!!!!!

Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:53 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving in Halifax next Monday!!!!!

Thanks for that! I have spent ages just searching my mortgage issue and it has made it clear that I just need to get onto a Mortgage broker - will do so later!

Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:49 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Well the long holiday is over, from selling our house in NZ and visiting family in the UK over Christmas - the flights are booked (dear me, the cost at this time of year!!!) and we are arriving to start work next week. Not the best time of year to start a new life, woefully unprepared, but its an adventure afterall!

We are renting a Minivan for a week and in that week need to find a cheap car, some longer term rental accommodation, schools, bank accounts and everything that we havent even thought about that will likely crop up and surprise us. We have got info regarding SIN and medical cards, so thats a start.

Just narrowing down where we will stay for the first fortnight or so, got some good offers of $350 a week for some suites with kitchenettes - but any great ideas or suggestions are very welcome as we have yet to actually make a reservation!

Well this has been a long time coming and now its here, its of course a little daunting (to say the least) - more the time of year than anything else. So any optomism and advice is greatly welcomed!!!!

Off to try an repack our 10 bulging cases!
Hi Poppy

Great news. Do you have a specific area in mind?

Some agencies that deal with rental accommodation in the halifax area are Tivertons, Millennium Rentals and Executive Rentals. One of the problems we found is there isnt much in the way of furnished accomm. Dont know if your furniture is arriving with you but if not the furnished things could be an issue.

We found Cars-R-Us in Lower Sackville fairly good for used cars in terms of price and quality.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:02 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that NSpaul!! Esp the cars........our next big dread! Car salemen and all that they can be

No areas in mind right now - mindful that we need to be relatively close to OH's work (Capital Health in Halifax somewhere), but we need schools too........its going to be a frantic week once we land, and hopefully we will have good weather so we can flit about checking places out!!

Getting excited now....................
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rachel,

You might like to look at the 2 links below. The first is the Halifax School board. As a quick hint, if you want to know roughly which school serves which area, the bus routes are probably more help than the maps.

The second link is just about the only performance info available in Atlantic Canada. It is largely older age groups, there is really nothing on primary schools.

I hope you are not getting information overload.

Lynn

http://www.hrsb.ns.ca/

http://www.aims.ca/issues.asp?cmPageID=445
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:57 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Well the long holiday is over, from selling our house in NZ and visiting family in the UK over Christmas - the flights are booked (dear me, the cost at this time of year!!!) and we are arriving to start work next week. Not the best time of year to start a new life, woefully unprepared, but its an adventure afterall!

We are renting a Minivan for a week and in that week need to find a cheap car, some longer term rental accommodation, schools, bank accounts and everything that we havent even thought about that will likely crop up and surprise us. We have got info regarding SIN and medical cards, so thats a start.

Just narrowing down where we will stay for the first fortnight or so, got some good offers of $350 a week for some suites with kitchenettes - but any great ideas or suggestions are very welcome as we have yet to actually make a reservation!

Well this has been a long time coming and now its here, its of course a little daunting (to say the least) - more the time of year than anything else. So any optomism and advice is greatly welcomed!!!!

Off to try an repack our 10 bulging cases!
Congratulations Poppy - you deserve it - we are going next thursday too - never been so shellshocked before in my whole life
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice

Hey poppy congrats to you!! We will be following you in about 3 weeks I start work on 11th Feb, Poppy check these guys out they have been a mine of information for me and nothing is too difficult for them. UK2Novascotia.com we are having a landing party on 2nd Feb, the day after we get there, pm me if your interested in comming, all you need to bring is a few beers or wine and some nibbles, and meet with a load of other expats who have been in the area for around 7 years now. Um as we are in rental and we dont know what seating there is yet might be an idea to bring something to sit on as well. (kids are welcome) mine are 19 17 and 12 so theyre gonna be bored stupid with no one theyre own age to talk to.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:37 am
NS covern member #1

Alvic - good luck too then! I know what you mean about being shell shocked, its like being in some sort of mad limbo and after all the time we wait too! It'll be fine though!!!

Great links Lynn............seriously, talk about organised and my font of all knowledge! Where would I be.................?

Snort - sounds great! There needs to be a giant get together and your might be the one! Will see what the plans are and where we end up by that point! Good luck with the packing and the last minute stuff, just look forward to a frosty one or 10 on the 2nd of Feb!!!