Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arrived at Ottawa at last.

Arrived at Ottawa at last.

Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived at Ottawa at last.

Originally Posted by XCMTBer
Just wait till the buggers at OC transport strike tommorrow, that and the snow will result in mayhem!
Yes its a pain in the arse .. relying on taxi's at the moment .. unable to register the kids for school .. bummer

Regarding the shopping mall .. we have been to Bayshore and lincoln fields mall ..

We brought a tv and stand on tuesday and had to get a refund as we were waiting around 3 hours for a taxi so got the bus during rush hour which was horrible with the traffic and snow ..

Definately need a car .. as im going to get killed on the roads .. just trying to get my head around it all ..
Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:19 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sas-lou
So we landed last night after 7hr 45 mins of pure torture but the cat made it so i'm happy .. Immigration was a piece of cake and customs didn't want to search my bags .. thank god as i had 6 huge suitcases ..

The temp was -14 but it wasn't that bad, granted you felt it in your throat at first and coughed a little but i was happy that i embraced it ..

The jet lag is awful, i was up at 3am this morning (yes Canadian time) talking to my mum as I'm still on UK time but i'll just grab a few winks later ..

Been to the shopping mall and its ok .. i think i need to be on my own to truly appriciate the sales ..

So we are in the process of buying things but the buses are hindering our efforts somewhat due to the fact it wont stop snowing ..

Going to the children's school on Thursday to register them and they will start next monday ..

So that's really it .. just plodding along .. i thought i would be more excited but I'm not .. oh well ..

Sorry this isn't some long winded story .. I'm knackered.

Welcome to Canada

p.s don't forget to change your location under your avatar
Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheera67
sas-lou that sounds ok, id be interested how you get on over the next few weeks as myself and my family are moving to ottawa in the next couple of months, things like renting a house and getting a car, how did you get on with these, and is it ok to pm you for further info please

thanks

Hubby had problems getting the house but it worked out in the end .. unfortunately neither of us drive so i am unable to help out there .. i had a few days of sadness but a little more positive today ..
Just need OC transport to get their arse in gear and run the buses again
Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:52 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby had problems getting the house but it worked out in the end .. unfortunately neither of us drive so i am unable to help out there .. i had a few days of sadness but a little more positive today ..
Just need OC transport to get their arse in gear and run the buses again
You're in Canada, WITH husband. You have to look on the bright side.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Yes its a pain in the arse .. relying on taxi's at the moment .. unable to register the kids for school .. bummer

Regarding the shopping mall .. we have been to Bayshore and lincoln fields mall ..

We brought a tv and stand on tuesday and had to get a refund as we were waiting around 3 hours for a taxi so got the bus during rush hour which was horrible with the traffic and snow ..

Definately need a car .. as im going to get killed on the roads .. just trying to get my head around it all ..
Bayshore is definately a nicer mall than Lincoln Fields....however, it is kind of relative...at the end of the day they are still 'malls'.

Without a car (I gather neither you or your husband drive) and with the buses on strike in Ottawa, things may not be too groovy.

The weathere will get better and once the buses are back running, I'm sure things will look better.