Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arrived last week in Vancouver - useful facts (I hope)

Arrived last week in Vancouver - useful facts (I hope)

Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

LisaRD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arrived last week in Vancouver - useful facts (I hope)

welcome - hope you got AWD to get up that hill! We live just across from you in Heritage Woods. PM me and I will give you the gen on teh local area.

cheers, Lisa
Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

paulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nice

Originally Posted by KenD
1a. Very first thing to do was to get mobiles for me and wife. We brought our unlocked phones over from the UK so we only wanted a monthly plan with a SIM card. Very expensive compared to UK. Though I must say that due to the urgency we did not shop around at all for this item: we just went into the first mobile shop (Rogers) we came across and asked for the best deal for our requirements.

Believe it or not - the 7/11 do decent deals. They use the Rogers network, but the "Speakout Wireless" brand allows you to keep your talk time for 365 days, instead of wiping it clean every month.
if you have any smartphone, 7-11 gives you unlimited internet for $10 a month (EDGE network speed not 3G)
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

BumbleBeeUK will become famous soon enoughBumbleBeeUK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by KenD View Post
1a. Very first thing to do was to get mobiles for me and wife. We brought our unlocked phones over from the UK so we only wanted a monthly plan with a SIM card. Very expensive compared to UK. Though I must say that due to the urgency we did not shop around at all for this item: we just went into the first mobile shop (Rogers) we came across and asked for the best deal for our requirements.

Hi all

I asked my vancouver friend about plans for iphone / berry type users - she is not a mobile sales person or anything, but thought i would share:

CELL PHONE - I pay $100/mo for mine - includes 6GB data plan, 200 free minutes and free evenings (after 7pm) and weekend calling. I think data plans are more expensive now though... like $30/mo for 3 GB. I bought my iphone for $250 with a three year contract. Most plans are around that price... Word of advice - do NOT use TELUS. Go with Bell or Fido (although I personally HATE Fido... if you are late for a payment by even a minute they will call you eighty times a day until you pay).

Just in case anyone is interested!

BBUK
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:23 am
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

Thanks very much for the info on your thread especially regarding schools. We're off this this Thursday to Ontario and we found it very useful.
I wish I could say the same for posters about cheese but it's about what I would expect from such geniuses.
Thanks again and good luck.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:24 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by How long
Thanks very much for the info on your thread especially regarding schools. We're off this this Thursday to Ontario and we found it very useful.
I wish I could say the same for posters about cheese but it's about what I would expect from such geniuses.
I haven't got kids, so I found the posts about cheese and groceries in general much more useful.
Not everyone has children and even some people with children do actually like to talk about something else from time to time.
By the way, sarcasm about other people's 'genius' is rather rude and unnecessary - who are you to judge?
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Sushi is much better and cheaper here than in the UK and you can get proper sausages in the Canadian Superstore.
I started eating sushi when i lived in vanouver for 9 1/2 months back in 07/08 when I was studying at SFU for 2 semesters, then I came back to the UK and its so expensive and the ones in supermarkets are gross in comparison i mean the tuna sushi here is made from tuna mayonaise!!!

Cannot wait to have real affordable sushi when i move over on my 12 month work visa in november
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:35 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
I started eating sushi when i lived in vanouver for 9 1/2 months back in 07/08 when I was studying at SFU for 2 semesters, then I came back to the UK and its so expensive and the ones in supermarkets are gross in comparison i mean the tuna sushi here is made from tuna mayonaise!!!

Cannot wait to have real affordable sushi when i move over on my 12 month work visa in november
tuna mayo! sacrilege!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:45 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
tuna mayo! sacrilege!
It's not that bad and is quite tasty if you get over the idea that it's supposed to be raw tuna (though I still think sushi rice is the crappiest rice around having grown up with basmati). The local equivalent is plonking a scoop of tuna mayo onto a bit of lettuce and calling it a nicoise salad - you see that a lot here.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of crappy places here. The problem is once you've had good sushi, even moderate stuff tastes crap.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of crappy places here. The problem is once you've had good sushi, even moderate stuff tastes crap.
I'll pointlessly add that that's my view of it too.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

After years of deprivation Mrs JonboyE was like a kid in a sweet shop when we first came to Vancouver on a reccie. We eat sushi for breakfast, lunch and dinner and had to bring some back to the hotel just in case she woke up in the middle of the night.

One day we were walking along a street and saw couple of grizzly gnarled white construction workers sitting cross legged on the sidewalk, chopsticks in hand, eating sushi from a bento box. "Maybe I could live here after all," she said.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I made a double mistake a week ago. Firstly, I let down my guard and was influenced by other people's recommendations (most people have crap taste) and secondly, I went to an all-you-can-eat place for the sashimi, yuck, its was disgusting. From now on, and depending on budget, its either Tojo's, Yoshi's or Kibune, the rest can go and have a ride on a donkey.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:09 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I love sashimi. The rice just gets in the way.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:21 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never eaten sushi - will I like it, do you think?
I am not grossed out by the raw fish idea like many people over here but if it is anything other than fresh off the boat, I think I will run a mile!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:36 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I made a double mistake a week ago. Firstly, I let down my guard and was influenced by other people's recommendations (most people have crap taste) and secondly, I went to an all-you-can-eat place for the sashimi, yuck, its was disgusting. From now on, and depending on budget, its either Tojo's, Yoshi's or Kibune, the rest can go and have a ride on a donkey.
Miko Sushi on Robson. Mrs JonboyE has been known to throw unsuspecting tourists under the wheels of passing buses if there is a lineup there when she is ready to eat. Though, having recommended it you won't want to go now ...

The first review I get if I google Miko Sushi says "I have been in many Sushi Restaurants all over the world. But Miko is by far the best."

That may be a little over the top. I also worry when the next sentence says "Run by real japanese people." I'm not sure what an unreal Japanese person is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.