Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arrived at last!

Arrived at last!

Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light
Default Arrived at last!

Hi all been awhile but heres my story so far...
the family goodbyes were awful especially my mum who i am really close to and my brother and sister, don't anyone try and fool yourself it is the worst most horrendous thing ever!

We all arrived safely in Calgary on sunday to a glorious sunny day,checking in was a nightmare as we had over the limit for luggage and had a fairly stroppy checkin assistant,while the other side of the line were having heavy labels put on we were been lectured about weight and to go pay the 150 pounds fee , couldnt complain we knew but still ended up dumping a bag of clothes , by the time all that got sorted we were waiting to board! flight was excellent loved been in premium i was full after all the ongoing drinks and food sat in front of fozzy and we had a natter..hello fozzy lol also said hellos to chris ans kim, hope your all ok too!

Immigration was a breeze although they was a queue we got a really nice lady officer who issued My hubbys permit without any hassles all that worry i had! collected cases saw another officer who just waved us off said no need to show forms and off we went to hire a car. Got a mini van for a week.
Arrived at our rental house where the landlady was waiting for us, the house met all our expectations and more, we have a fab view of the rockies and downtown, was a bit peeved today that when we were out landlady had been in as she left a note saying sorry she missed us... is this normal for a landlady to do this?? hubbys fuming.

Going to clear all 27 of our boxes tomorrow then they will be delivered for anyone who wants to know we shopped around and went through a company called transglobal.com and clicked on airfreight quote, you have to put sizes of boxes and weights then it gives you a choice of quotes, dhl was at the top and cheapest at only 868 pounds door to door which is the best i have found, will report what shape the boxes were in when they arrive.

Been shopping and was pleased at the things we found, hubby goes to meet his emplyers this week and we are taking my son to see his new school to enrol him,lee my 18 year old seems ok too wether it lasts is another story .Opened a bank account today with Td trust got to go get SIN numbers tomorrow.

My dog Sam arrives on the 5th November my mums had him while we got sorted i can't wait to see him...as i am typing this my eyes are nearly closing think its catching up with me now,all in all everythings good its early days and we are the ones that have come for a new start like most folks, we have never been to canada but we arent looking through rose tinted glasses and are hoping everything does work out but hey if it dosn't at least we can say we tried.
Julie, John and the boys xx
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of
Default Re: Arrived at last!

Originally Posted by Julie_p
the family goodbyes were awful especially my mum who i am really close to and my brother and sister, don't anyone try and fool yourself it is the worst most horrendous thing ever!

We all arrived safely in Calgary on sunday to a glorious sunny day,checking in was a nightmare as we had over the limit for luggage and had a fairly stroppy checkin assistant,while the other side of the line were having heavy labels put on we were been lectured about weight and to go pay the 150 pounds fee , couldnt complain we knew but still ended up dumping a bag of clothes , by the time all that got sorted we were waiting to board! flight was excellent loved been in premium i was full after all the ongoing drinks and food sat in front of fozzy and we had a natter..hello fozzy lol also said hellos to chris ans kim, hope your all ok too!

Immigration was a breeze although they was a queue we got a really nice lady officer who issued My hubbys permit without any hassles all that worry i had! collected cases saw another officer who just waved us off said no need to show forms and off we went to hire a car. Got a mini van for a week.
Arrived at our rental house where the landlady was waiting for us, the house met all our expectations and more, we have a fab view of the rockies and downtown, was a bit peeved today that when we were out landlady had been in as she left a note saying sorry she missed us... is this normal for a landlady to do this?? hubbys fuming.

Going to clear all 27 of our boxes tomorrow then they will be delivered for anyone who wants to know we shopped around and went through a company called transglobal.com and clicked on airfreight quote, you have to put sizes of boxes and weights then it gives you a choice of quotes, dhl was at the top and cheapest at only 868 pounds door to door which is the best i have found, will report what shape the boxes were in when they arrive.

Been shopping and was pleased at the things we found, hubby goes to meet his emplyers this week and we are taking my son to see his new school to enrol him,lee my 18 year old seems ok too wether it lasts is another story .Opened a bank account today with Td trust got to go get SIN numbers tomorrow.

My dog Sam arrives on the 5th November my mums had him while we got sorted i can't wait to see him...as i am typing this my eyes are nearly closing think its catching up with me now,all in all everythings good its early days and we are the ones that have come for a new start like most folks, we have never been to canada but we arent looking through rose tinted glasses and are hoping everything does work out but hey if it dosn't at least we can say we tried.
Welcome to Calgary!!

Glad you're settling in!

It takes a little while to get the initial stuff sorted out and find your way around, but that's half the fun!!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:19 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Calgary, you have certainly picked a good week weather-wise to arrive.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

jimbognr is a jewel in the roughjimbognr is a jewel in the roughjimbognr is a jewel in the roughjimbognr is a jewel in the rough

welcome to canada, glad eveything has gone so smoothly, ive been here just over aweek and the weather has been fantastic hope it stays like it
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:56 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Hi julie

and welcome to alberta, remember those goodbyes well, nothing can get you ready for them
Glad the rental is good, i havent seen our landlord since we arrived, so i think a polite word may help there.

Glad you are settling down, we are on i think the 5th week or so now, ive lost count, those first few weeks are hard going, but so worth it.

Good luck and hope you enjoy calgary

Gill
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:59 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada, Julie!
x
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:44 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Well done Julie

Good luck to you all.

K
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

anne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant future

Well done Julie and family, am dreading those goodbyes! we will hopefully be joining you in january.. The best of luck with your new life
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:16 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Julie!

Charlie
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Welcome to Calgary Julie, John and the boys. Hope it all works out for you and you enjoy your experience.

All the best

Rachel
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

A very warm (surprisingly so perhaps - you seem to have left the bad weather in the UK) welcome to both Canada and Calgary. We hope you will love it here.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.