Arrived

Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:58 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arrived

Originally Posted by ga1lf
Well, the first two days were hard and I don't know how I managed not to get on a plane home. Instead I called home and it was just nice to talk to someone and using the net has been a little lifesaver also. I went out to a bar last night, to see in the first new year in Vancouver and so now I have a little hangover! I also managed to get an apartment yesterday and should be picking up the keys on Monday. I will stay in the hotel until the 15th, as this gives me time to get things for it. So now time to start getting the important things done, like SIN, Medical, PR Card and Bank Account.......oh and a job!
good stuff - which area new pad and how did you find it? Which bar were you at? My god, i sound like some sort of cyber stalker!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

Found the apartment using Craigs list, its near to Yaletown. Spent last night in Shenanigans on Robson, uuuummm interesting bunch and spending today with a slight fuzzy head.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

uuuummm interesting bunch and spending today with a slight fuzzy head.
better than some of the things you could have woken up with ...
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:22 pm

Found the apartment using Craigs list, its near to Yaletown. Spent last night in Shenanigans on Robson, uuuummm interesting bunch and spending today with a slight fuzzy head.
I haven't been to shenanigans for years, in fact only went the once - Robson Street does not really have many bars. There's definately better places.

Yaletown is hip - a good pub there is the Yaletown Brew Pub - not uppity like other bars around there. If you like Oysters, check out Rodneys in Yaletown. Lots of great restaurants around there. There's a very hip, new Keg there, which is well known for good steak, if not a tad overpriced.

Craigs list is also good for used furniture. Some really good deals on there.

Hope all goes well!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

Thanks for the tips, I am sure that over the next few months I will end up visiting most of those places.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

vancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura aboutvancouverism has a spectacular aura about

For some reason most newly arrived Brits end up at Shennanigans. I did too but there are far better bars (even on Robson).
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

It was close to the hotel and the entry fee was only $19, although I didn't bother with the free glass of bubbly - hate the stuff no matter how cheap or expensive. I have found an apartment on Howe, there seems to be a few bars around there, so will have to give them a go.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
nooooo desist immediately, you will be assimilated
Although if they're in Vancouver, going to Tim Horton's will flag them as transplanted Ontarians. Starbucks or Blenz (or Caffe Artigiano, or... ) would be where you'd go to be assimilated into Vancouver's obsessive coffee culture.

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 2nd 2010 at 11:50 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vancouverism
For some reason most newly arrived Brits end up at Shennanigans. I did too but there are far better bars (even on Robson).
Irish Heather =

The Morrissey =

http://irishheather.com/

http://www.morrisseypub.com/

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 2nd 2010 at 11:51 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Lychee
I rather like main street. Cascade room is my fav but the point and damn.... can't think of the name, its on main at 6 th ish, are also good.

http://thecascade.ca/drink.html

Hope these places apply for extensions too.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:28 am
Just Joined

crabbygit is an unknown quantity at this point

So I arrived here late Sunday, long queues at immigration so it took over 2 hours to get out of the airport. Spent yesterday trying to stay awake and today I plan on looking at an apartment and going to the bank. Not sure if RBC is the best, I had a job finding a branch yesterday. Been feeling a little homesick already, which is not like me, so it proves that this is probably going to be the hardest thing I have ever done and if I make it, who knows.
Welcome to BC.

I too landed Vancouver 1970s spouse, child, 800 pounds in my pocket ($2.43 Cad to the pound back then) no job, no friends, no relatives here, no accommodation arranged, and my house house in England (which is where all my money was tied up) hadn't sold yet. Would I do it again? in a heartbeat. I consider it one of the best moves I ever made.

I hope it works out for you!
Old Jan 9th 2010, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Originally Posted by crabbygit
$2.43 Cad to the pound back then
Those were the days! Ah, if only...