Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arrived 18 days ago, landing a job in my field!!

Arrived 18 days ago, landing a job in my field!!

Old Jul 7th 2011, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Arrived 18 days ago, landing a job in my field!!

To all those in the process of waiting to come to Canada. What can I say except like a number of posters on here. The week I was leaving to come here, I thought I was making the worst mistake of my life giving Canada a second shot.

After arriving to a guesthouse that you would not put a pet of any description to sleep in. I found a place downtown for two weeks. I went to YMCA as they advertise that they are a newcomers centre, however they do seem to be geared up much more for people who speak in English as a second language. One of the advisor informed me about access employment who assist you with getting a job. http://www.accestrain.com. They have various locations around toronto. They have classes on how to write resumes, interview tips, cold calling employers, work place ettique and culture etc. So any new torontonians check this place out. Sydney was very helpful.

So after changing my resume to the Canadian format, and sending it off. 18 days later I am now employed, wow well done to me. Did think I would not get anything, but the package is good, salary, car allowance, phone and health benefits.

So I am now about to start building my canadian work experience. Nest hurdle getting a care, I am sure I saw a post on here about getting a lease care with time left on it.

So I am going to working this wonderful summer that is the only downside but the dollars are rolling in.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 4:45 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived 18 days ago, landing a job in my field!!

Congratulations.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats!!!! Thats a fab start!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done.

What field are you in...education, legal, medical ?
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

I work in social housing, so in toronto that is non profit or community housing. I am senior housing manager.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic, well done! Can I be the first to point out the irony of someone who works in housing having, er, housing issues?
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:55 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishrose1
To all those in the process of waiting to come to Canada. What can I say except like a number of posters on here. The week I was leaving to come here, I thought I was making the worst mistake of my life giving Canada a second shot.

After arriving to a guesthouse that you would not put a pet of any description to sleep in. I found a place downtown for two weeks. I went to YMCA as they advertise that they are a newcomers centre, however they do seem to be geared up much more for people who speak in English as a second language. One of the advisor informed me about access employment who assist you with getting a job. http://www.accestrain.com. They have various locations around toronto. They have classes on how to write resumes, interview tips, cold calling employers, work place ettique and culture etc. So any new torontonians check this place out. Sydney was very helpful.

So after changing my resume to the Canadian format, and sending it off. 18 days later I am now employed, wow well done to me. Did think I would not get anything, but the package is good, salary, car allowance, phone and health benefits.

So I am now about to start building my canadian work experience. Nest hurdle getting a care, I am sure I saw a post on here about getting a lease care with time left on it.

So I am going to working this wonderful summer that is the only downside but the dollars are rolling in.
Well done.

I purchased a Honda from Toronto Honda near Danforth and Main.

Whilst there were the usual administration fees associated with such dealers- I am very happy with the purchase and feel they have looked after me more than any other person who ever sold me car.

Good luck with the hunt.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 2:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Well done.

I purchased a Honda from Toronto Honda near Danforth and Main.

Whilst there were the usual administration fees associated with such dealers- I am very happy with the purchase and feel they have looked after me more than any other person who ever sold me car.

Good luck with the hunt.
And, if you have the car serviced there, and choose not to wait, they'll give you two tokens.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 2:33 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the job, glad things are falling into place after a rocky start.

You might want to consider getting and old beater car rather than taking over a lease, then you can insure it for minimal coverage and get a better rate. Good Luck!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of the problems people face when they move to Canada are caused by an unwillingness to reduce their living standards for a short time. Staying at a YMCA like you did seems to have presented opportunities here. Congratulations on everything working out for you
Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:38 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishrose1
I work in social housing, so in toronto that is non profit or community housing. I am senior housing manager.
Good luck. Its a very high profile area in TO at the moment.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

You what dgagitw you are right. Had I of been in the UK getting a decent place to stay that was market rent with a housing association. Would not of been a problem. Here though totally different ball game. As I dont have the contacts yet but will do just give 12 months!!!

I am good now, got a lovely place in Etobicoke for now, on a month by month basis.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

etjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant future

Wow - Well done sounds like you've had good luck come your way. Hope all goes well from now on.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Elizabethlum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by etjotoft
Wow - Well done sounds like you've had good luck come your way. Hope all goes well from now on.
Congratulations. Unfortunate for me, we landed in Vancouver and it is pretty hard finding a job here.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

mrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to all

That's FANTASTIC !! Well done...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.