British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Argos & Robert Dyas equivalent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/argos-robert-dyas-equivalent-592987/)

gino_76ph Feb 21st 2009 3:25 pm

Argos & Robert Dyas equivalent

hi. i will be in Canada in 4 months time and i'm looking for a shop which is equivalent to Argos & Robert Dyas wherein i can mainly buy any household goods for my flat.

mayersanna Feb 21st 2009 4:13 pm

Re: Argos & Robert Dyas equivalent

Try www.flyermall.com or www.flyerland.ca
for some ideas.

gino_76ph Feb 21st 2009 9:39 pm

they are more like a coupons site. i need a store that you just order then buy the thing right inside the store like Argos or similar to Robert Dyas

Steve_P Feb 21st 2009 9:50 pm

http://www.sears.ca/gp/home.html

Auld Yin Feb 21st 2009 9:56 pm

Years ago there was an ARGO type operation in Canada, but no more. I had a look at the Robert Dyas website and the closest thing I can think of here is Canadian Tire which is coast to coast.

Steve_P Feb 21st 2009 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 7308834)
Years ago there was an ARGO type operation in Canada, but no more.

Aah you filled in the gaps with that comment...was it Consumers Distributing?;)

Auld Yin Feb 21st 2009 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 7308841)
Aah you filled in the gaps with that comment...was it Consumers Distributing?;)

Yep, that was it. I could remember Consumers but no more. It was a useless organization. It seemed to me that almost everything I went to buy was out of stock.

G77 Feb 21st 2009 10:06 pm

I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again - don't see the need/point of Argos in Canada, if you want a shop that carries that kind of range, then you just build one. Plenty of space and no need for the catalogue system...

dingbat Feb 22nd 2009 12:45 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 7308856)
I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again - don't see the need/point of Argos in Canada, if you want a shop that carries that kind of range, then you just build one. Plenty of space and no need for the catalogue system...

Price and choice would be a compelling argument for an Argos. Ordering from the Sears catalogue, the closest thing we have to Argos in the West yields the usual "Thank you for your order, that will take eight weeks until delivery".... hardly offers the same convenience factor. The large box outlets all sell the same tat from the same suppliers.

The4BellsLondon Feb 22nd 2009 3:50 am

home hardware here seems similar to robert dyas.

dingbat Feb 22nd 2009 7:00 am

HH is a franchise owned chain. Depends where you you are, but closer to Van = wider selection of the same tat sold by Crappy Tire. Their suppliers are owned by the same parent company. :confused:

gino_76ph Feb 22nd 2009 8:21 pm

are they cheap as well?

gino_76ph Feb 27th 2009 7:37 pm

are their prices as "affordable" as Argos or say B&Q? do they have big retail stores and high street shops as well?

Almost Canadian Feb 27th 2009 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by gino_76ph (Post 7330122)
are their prices as "affordable" as Argos or say B&Q? do they have big retail stores and high street shops as well?

Have you been to Canada? "High Streets" in a shopping sense simply don't exist

minimeeze Mar 2nd 2009 3:35 am

Most big stores sell EVERYTHING... and I mean everything. You can get groceries and car parts, furniture, lawnmowers, electricals, sports equipment, pet care (getting the picture here?) all from one store. Stores that spring to mind are:
Zellers
Walmart
Canadian Superstore
Canadian Tire (no groceries)
Costco