Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Areas of Vancouver good for Us Brits

Areas of Vancouver good for Us Brits

Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:50 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas of Vancouver good for Us Brits

Originally Posted by L'il Bear
Hey, I lived with a family for a summer in Surrey, around 56th ave. There's a stunning view of Boundrey Bay. I think it took about 45 mins from the airport, possibly more. Where I stayed was very pleasent, but, like in most places there are unsavoury parts. I remember that around Newton Exchange bus loop wasn't too nice. This was in 2001 though. I have since returned to Canada and am now living in Burnaby near the Brentwood Sky Train Station. It takes 20 mins to get into Downtown Vancouver by transit, longer to Richmond. I live in a basement suite, which by British standards is huge ands very affordable.
What's it like living in a basement suite? It's something I've avoided looking at as didn't fancy living in someone's basement! Also was worried that it would be very dark What do you think?????
Old Apr 4th 2006, 6:14 pm

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tigger1
What's it like living in a basement suite? It's something I've avoided looking at as didn't fancy living in someone's basement! Also was worried that it would be very dark What do you think?????
It really depends on a number of things. Some basements are just that, with windows with no outside view. The basement in my place leads up to the garden and is really quite pleasant. When I was looking to rent, I saw some amazing basements where they are effectively the 1st floor, and very well insulated for sound etc.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

L'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud of

I have windows at a reasonable hight...looking onto the floor of the garden. There's a lockable door between us and the main house and I'm lucking that I get on with the Landlady well. It's very spaciious down there. The heat is controlled by the main house, so it's warm in the winter without being charged though there are vents that we can open and close. We also get use of the garage space (walk through to get to our door) and the garden. There is a middle room that hardly get's any natural light (only through open doors) which isn't perfect, but you get used to it. I'd say it's worth considering, if only as a temporary measure whilst you look at other properties.