British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Areas of Vancouver good for Us Brits (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/areas-vancouver-good-us-brits-364310/)

Ann in BC Apr 1st 2006 3:59 am

Re: Areas of Vancouver good for Us Brits

Originally Posted by Griff
We are aiming to move to Vancouver and would like some ideas on affordable areas, we would be think of a three bed townhouse. We have friends in Pitt Meadows who have said Vancouver is an expensive place to live, but my wife may have an opportunity of gaining employment in Vancouver. We would like an area that has good schools and is commutable to Vancouver. :D

Well, I would suggest Pitt Meadows! Housing is cheaper, it's a lovely area, andcommuting to downtown by way of the West Coast Express is a breeze. Schools are good. And the major plus is you would not be outnumbered by all the Chinese (Vancouver is called Hongcouver for good reason!)

Judy in Calgary Apr 1st 2006 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Ann in BC
And the major plus is you would not be outnumbered by all the Chinese (Vancouver is called Hongcouver for good reason!)

Welcome to the forum (as I reach for the ignore button).

Londonuck Apr 4th 2006 8:19 am

Originally Posted by ann in bc
And the major plus is you would not be outnumbered by all the Chinese (Vancouver is called Hongcouver for good reason!).

i think u need to realise you're an immigrant yourself and the chinese have been in bc for a very very long time. top attitude for a new country.

i hope you're banned, u arse.

ignore x2

Griff Apr 4th 2006 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Londonuck
i think u need to realise you're an immigrant yourself and the chinese have been in bc for a very very long time. top attitude for a new country.

i hope you're banned, u arse.

ignore x2

Who's the the quote you're banned aimed at? and if the u arse is aimed at me, I consider it a verbal assault :mad:

Londonuck Apr 4th 2006 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Griff
Who's the the quote you're banned aimed at? and if the u arse is aimed at me, I consider it a verbal assault :mad:

not u mate the ann in bc nice comments about chinese.

dbd33 Apr 4th 2006 1:04 pm

not u mate the ann in bc nice comments about chinese.

It was harshly phrased but isn't that a legitimate point ? I wouldn't move to Markham because I'm not Chinese and I wouldn't move to Woodbridge because I'm not Italian. Those are suburbs of Toronto but I'm sure something similar applies in Vancouver; moving to a place where one doesn't speak the language is an interesting challenge but probably not the challenge British immigrants to Canada are expecting.

Londonuck Apr 4th 2006 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
It was harshly phrased but isn't that a legitimate point ? I wouldn't move to Markham because I'm not Chinese and I wouldn't move to Woodbridge because I'm not Italian. Those are suburbs of Toronto but I'm sure something similar applies in Vancouver; moving to a place where one doesn't speak the language is an interesting challenge but probably not the challenge British immigrants to Canada are expecting.

then live in england if u want to be surrounded by english speakers.

im sure there would be a different take on this if a chinese person came on and said dont live there its full of english people or how about dont live there cos its full of black people. ive got loads of chinese mates from when i lived in vancouver and they great people and proud canadians.

dbd33 Apr 4th 2006 1:16 pm

then live in england if u want to be surrounded by english speakers.

im sure there would be a different take on this if a chinese person came on and said dont live there its full of english people or how about dont live there cos its full of black people. ive got loads of chinese mates from when i lived in vancouver and they great people and proud canadians.

I assume from your English that you're not a native speaker and, from your passion for things Chinese, you probably know Cantonese or Mandarin. Consider then, whether or not, you'd be comfortable in an area where the signage, newspapers, and regular conversation was in Italian or French, would you be comfortable in, say, Montreal ?

Londonuck Apr 4th 2006 2:27 pm

I assume from your English that you're not a native speaker and, from your passion for things Chinese, you probably know Cantonese or Mandarin. Consider then, whether or not, you'd be comfortable in an area where the signage, newspapers, and regular conversation was in Italian or French, would you be comfortable in, say, Montreal ?

ooh the tired retort of questioning the other persons english... yes your english is perfect, congrats.

what the hell has montreal got to do with her original comment about hong kong chinese in vancouver? im not entering into a debate about the french in canada. my passion is against ignorant mugs who generalise about a whole nation of people.

dbd33 Apr 4th 2006 2:36 pm

ooh the tired retort of questioning the other persons english... yes your english is perfect, congrats.

what the hell has montreal got to do with her original comment about hong kong chinese in vancouver? im not entering into a debate about the french in canada. my passion is against ignorant mugs who generalise about a whole nation of people.

I don't say that my English is perfect, just that your usage suggested it was a second language for you. If you don't like Montreal as an example, think of Berlin or Paris or Tirana, some place where there's a different language and culture from yours. It might be difficult to live there, it might not, but you'd likely want to have so idea of the situation before going there. Similarly, if one is planning a move to Canada it would be useful to know the language and culture of the neighbourhood in question.

I'm not generalising about a whole nation. Assuming you mean Canada, the exact opposite is the case, I'm saying that one needs to know about the specific suburb rather than the country.

Londonuck Apr 4th 2006 2:50 pm

I don't say that my English is perfect, just that your usage suggested it was a second language for you. If you don't like Montreal as an example, think of Berlin or Paris or Tirana, some place where there's a different language and culture from yours. It might be difficult to live there, it might not, but you'd likely want to have so idea of the situation before going there. Similarly, if one is planning a move to Canada it would be useful to know the language and culture of the neighbourhood in question.

I'm not generalising about a whole nation. Assuming you mean Canada, the exact opposite is the case, I'm saying that one needs to know about the specific suburb rather than the country.

yes your questioning my english wasnt a poor attempt an insult was it. thats quite the superiority complex u got there.

anyway u would have to be quite the dick to move somewhere and realise u didnt speak the language or indeed understand the culture. u obviously think that the chinese have so infested vancouver that its impossible for non chinese people to survive there.

lets agree to disagree.

dbd33 Apr 4th 2006 2:58 pm

yes your questioning my english wasnt a poor attempt an insult was it. thats quite the superiority complex u got there.

Your English, as used here, is very poor. It may be an affectation and it could be that you are, in fact, literate but I've no way of knowing that.

anyway u would have to be quite the dick to move somewhere and realise u didnt speak the language or indeed understand the culture. u obviously think that the chinese have so infested vancouver that its impossible for non chinese people to survive there.

"infested" ? Oh my. I, of course, didn't say anything of the kind, I just suggested that if someone was considering moving to an ethnic neighbourhood, it would be as well for them to know.

lets agree to disagree.

Well, there's little chance of agreeing wiv u.

Eden Apr 4th 2006 3:38 pm

Your English, as used here, is very poor. It may be an affectation and it could be that you are, in fact, literate but I've no way of knowing that.

"infested" ? Oh my. I, of course, didn't say anything of the kind, I just suggested that if someone was considering moving to an ethnic neighbourhood, it would be as well for them to know.

Well, there's little chance of agreeing wiv u.

Your resorting to lame insults about Londonuck's English shows you can't really defend your position about areas with large ethnic populations. Londonuck is clearly using the computer/texting shorthand commonly used and easily understood. I find what you are saying and the smug way you say it much more worrying.

dbd33 Apr 4th 2006 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Eden
Your resorting to lame insults about Londonuck's English shows you can't really defend your position about areas with large ethnic populations. Londonuck is clearly using the computer/texting shorthand commonly used and easily understood. I find what you are saying and the smug way you say it much more worrying.

how do u now that londonuk cod right better if it wanted %

I think I can defend my position, it is only that, if an area has a large ethnic population and especially if the predominant language in that area is not English, it is reasonable to tell people planning to move to the area about the nature of the place.

L'il Bear Apr 4th 2006 4:43 pm

Hey, I lived with a family for a summer in Surrey, around 56th ave. There's a stunning view of Boundrey Bay. I think it took about 45 mins from the airport, possibly more. Where I stayed was very pleasent, but, like in most places there are unsavoury parts. I remember that around Newton Exchange bus loop wasn't too nice. This was in 2001 though. I have since returned to Canada and am now living in Burnaby near the Brentwood Sky Train Station. It takes 20 mins to get into Downtown Vancouver by transit, longer to Richmond. I live in a basement suite, which by British standards is huge ands very affordable.