Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Areas of Vancouver

Areas of Vancouver

Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:55 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Areas of Vancouver

ok so here goes . . . . .
It looks like Oh's job will be bringing us to Vancouver in Nov this year. We have been over before for a quick mooch but nothing really re schools etc.

so we have 2 kids:

1 boy - nearly 10 (in sept)about to go in to year 5 in UK primary school, who has just been diagnosed as dyslexic, but v bright re maths, science, voacb etc but has reall trouble spelling and with writing - plus left handed.

Our daughter is 13 (14 in feb) , about to start year 9 in Uk Senior school. She is at a v high flying / pushy grammer school, but is pottling along quite happily, not struggling.

She is not happy about the move but is also very inetested in drama and has said she would quite like to to go to a drama type school - think Italia Conte / Rada!
having looked at the school systems etc am I right in assuming that the kids will go to whichever school your house falls within the catchment area for? If this is right, obviously we would like to rent initially in the area rougly that we hope to settle in, as I dont really want to move them twice!

So thats the kids -

plus we have two dogs - med and large so need to be near somewhere park / beach wise

Oh will be working from home, but will need to go into an office in Burnaby once / twice a week. He is a v keen cyclist so is not averse to cycling apporx 15km into work and then back again each day, as he does at present, so we could be upt to 20km away from burnaby.

Having looked on the mls mas, I was looking at either Downtown round Commercial Drive / Charles street - have some friends there and liked the funky neigbourhood.

Or:
Port Moody, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, New Westminster, Burnaby, Van East, North Van, wets Van and Van West.

So what I would like to know, be advised about, are there any areas in the above to be avoided - crime, schools etc..
also where are the decent schools etc..., nice parks. . . .

yup so to recap if some one can just sort me a nice house to rent then buy in a fab area, that wont cost the earth I would be well chuffed!!

any help advice and pointers greatfully received!

ta all

Last edited by The4BellsLondon; Aug 28th 2008 at 9:11 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:33 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Areas of Vancouver

What's your budget?
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:36 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Rental prob up to about CD$2500 per month

buying - bout 700,000 cdn doll I think - he will be on 110K CDN and I will get a job at some point (suppose!!!)

not sure bout mortgages etc. . - prob bring over approx $300k
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:39 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

If price is an issue, that likely rules out West Vancouver, the Westside, Kitsilano, Point Grey etc. ($1m (a shack) and very well up to the $20m or so)
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:42 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
If price is an issue, that likely rules out West Vancouver, the Westside, Kitsilano, Point Grey etc. ($1m (a shack) and very well up to the $20m or so)
yup - looked at mls and thought west van etc was prob out of league - unless I win the lottery
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:35 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
yup - looked at mls and thought west van etc was prob out of league - unless I win the lottery
You forgot to mention, close proximity to a pub essential
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:57 am

Commercial Drive isn't really downtown (that's West of Main and North of False Creek), but it sounds like it would be a good fit for you. My boss lives out that direction, near trout lake:

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=49...77248&t=h&z=14

if you can find something in that general area you're very well set up for transport (major bus routes and SkyTrain), you've got some nice green spaces and it's not too far from Burnaby. I haven't spent much time on Commercial Drive, but it's definitely one of the up-and-coming hip areas; without being as poncey as places like Kits. A bit of a mixture of characters, but it'll seem like paradise after South London.

You should be able to find a pretty nice family home in that area within your budget.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:34 am
half a century

Thanks for that Bazz - I liked it when we stayed in May

Any body any idea on schools?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:36 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

hi
just got back from van (we flew canadian airways....phew) and after recce around, we've decided on north van.....somewhere between capilano and lonsdale and even over to lynn valley.....

1. very beautiful
2. good and great schools (handsworth high is a great school)
3. easy travel to downtown, either over lions gate bridge, ironworkers bridge or the sea ferry....about 25 mins
4. edgemont is perfect for 'small town' living and community spirit.
5.lonsdale is much the same but more hip.
6.can buy a nice house, even an older one, which is ok....new ones v v v v expensive.
7. close to skiing.......

having also looked at port moody.......no!!!! too far, 45mins travel, gets very 'closed in' with the weather and for us, it felt like living in the syms or second life!!!!!

west van.....too expensive and alot of holiday homes.....

british properties.......toooooooo!!!!!!! you decide......

kits, point grey......are you very rich?

burnaby.....nice!

we're going in november too.....oh starts mid nov.....see you there.....
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
3. easy travel to downtown, either over lions gate bridge, ironworkers bridge or the sea ferry....about 25 mins
In rush hour? I don't think so.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:53 pm

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

dunno where you live bazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......but i know someone who lives on upper lonsdale, has done so for two years and it takes them 22mins....not 20, not 25 but 22mins to downtown, opposite the home of the lions!!!!!

you still owe me an apology.....i'm still not a 'daily mail' reader......
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:54 pm

dunno where you live bazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......but i know someone who lives on upper lonsdale, has done so for two years and it takes them 22mins....not 20, not 25 but 22mins to downtown, opposite the home of the lions!!!!!

I did a mass-apology in a previous thread. That'll have to do.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:11 pm

lol......talks the talk but can't walk the walk......eh!

yeah! i read some of your fan club.....xx
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:13 pm
half a century

Gibsonslanding - sorry dont know yr name . . . .do you have kids? did you look at schools?
Carri
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:14 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

shhh - don't let everyone know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.