Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Area suggestions!

Area suggestions!

Old Mar 10th 2014, 4:08 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Area suggestions!

Originally Posted by Dulciusexasperis
LOL, OK dbd33, you're going back to 1960s borders. Woodbine to Victoria Park and south of Queen only. Fair enough.

I think you would have a hard time convincing someone who lives on Blantyre, Courcellete or Fallingbrook that they don't live in the Beach though.

You would be wrong in that guess Tirytory. It would have increased in value (97-2013) from $600k to that comparable $1.7 mil which is about a 180% increase. But who is to say you could not have put the $600k in some other house somewhere else and made as much or more in profit? From 1997 to 2008, you could get those kind of increases in house prices in a lot of places and I did.
Gosh, how thrilling.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 1:10 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, OK dbd33, you're going back to 1960s borders. Woodbine to Victoria Park and south of Queen only. Fair enough.

I think you would have a hard time convincing someone who lives on Blantyre, Courcellete or Fallingbrook that they don't live in the Beach though.

You would be wrong in that guess Tirytory. It would have increased in value (97-2013) from $600k to that comparable $1.7 mil which is about a 180% increase. But who is to say you could not have put the $600k in some other house somewhere else and made as much or more in profit? From 1997 to 2008, you could get those kind of increases in house prices in a lot of places and I did.
I guess I was also wrong when I thought you couldn't post something more pretentious..... My bad.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 6:59 pm
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

Some of you seem to have some weird ideas. What is 'pretentious' about what I wrote Tirytory? Please give a clear explanation of just what it is you find pretentious. Because I sure as heck can't see it in what I wrote.

In other words, what I am saying to you is put up or shut up. All you do is make comments without any substantiation.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Abby2012

I'd love to be close to water which is why Collingwood and Niagara on the lake appealed.

Collingwood is way too far to commute to TO every day, especially in winter.

You might want to look at Newmarket or Aurora, or maybe even as far up as Barrie.
Lake Simcoe not far away.

Good luck with a budget of 300k, maybe better to rent a year or two and wait
for the housing correction that hasn't happened in Canada yet.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 7:35 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
magnumpty lives out there somewhere, I expect he'll be along with suggestions.
South of the 401 in Ajax to be exact, near the lake, 5 mins from the GO station, trains every 30 mins.

Houses in Ajax have risen in $$$ over the last year or so, $350,000 would get a nice detached 3-4 bed house on the south/lake side of HW 401.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 12:58 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Some of you seem to have some weird ideas. What is 'pretentious' about what I wrote Tirytory? Please give a clear explanation of just what it is you find pretentious. Because I sure as heck can't see it in what I wrote.

In other words, what I am saying to you is put up or shut up. All you do is make comments without any substantiation.

Definition of pretentious "making an extravagant outward show" "ostentatious" you're new here but you arrive and made clear references to your shrewd property purchases which have made you so much money (see above post) retiring early, offering unwanted advice, belittling someone's idea of amazing because it doesn't fit with your ideas... Yep think that pretty much sums up pretentious.

Sorry to hijack thread!!! Think I'll have to hit the ignore user for the first time.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 4:30 pm
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

Huh, funny what you consider 'extravagant' or 'ostentatious' Tirytory. I mentioned numbers that any Beach resident would consider normal and not in the least extravagant or ostentatious.

I can see now where you get the 'pretentious' remark. It's based on your base line in terms of property values, incomes, etc. All that means is there is a difference in our base lines. It doesn't make what I said from my point of view pretentious in any way.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 5:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Huh, funny what you consider 'extravagant' or 'ostentatious' Tirytory. I mentioned numbers that any Beach resident would consider normal and not in the least extravagant or ostentatious.

I can see now where you get the 'pretentious' remark. It's based on your base line in terms of property values, incomes, etc. All that means is there is a difference in our base lines. It doesn't make what I said from my point of view pretentious in any way.
It's not about the absolute numbers. It's about what you know and what you seem to value.

You know your numbers. You know your net worth, you know the value of your pension, you remember what price you paid and received for houses. That's not unusual in Canadians, previously there was a poster OceanMDX who knew his numbers, and one who'd retired to Beaver Valley who remembered what age he was when he retired and what his net worth had been at the beginning and end of that day. The latter, alas, for all his tens of thousands of dollars, lacked a memorable poster name.

I think it's unusual for British people to know their numbers. Pretentious isn't the word I would use but I think there is a cultural difference here, I think British people who are not poor find money boring and discussion of money rather vulgar. The poor, of course, have no option but to think constantly of their cash flow.

Canadians, I think, see having money as an important achievement. I don't think we do.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 6:58 pm
Banned

Fair point dbd33. Cultural norms do indeed differ and I have noticed several in terms of money in different countries.

For example, someone in Canada would not ask you what salary you earn. But a discussion of average house prices is not personal if you see the difference. If on the other hand you were in Greece and told an acquaintance you had just bought a new house, they might well ask, 'how much did you pay.' Straight out, no embarassment, no intent other than simple curiousity.

From my observations as a Canadian (though born a Brit I left at age 7 so for all intents and purposes, I am Canadian) Brits have several cultural quirks I have noticed (I did later in life live there for 6.5 years). One being the subject of money which you note. It's even less acceptable to talk about it than in Canada as you describe.

Another is that there seems to be a dislike of seeing anyone do better for themselves than someone else. In N. America we admire a self-made person. In the UK, when someone moves to a nicer house or buys a nicer car, the neighbours seem to have to try and put that person down. 'Oh, it's probably leased not owned', etc.

Even my British born and raised wife agrees with me on this point. When I lived in the UK I drove a small classic sports car. In Canada, when you drive say a 1965 Mustang down the road, people will beep their horn and give you a thumbs up etc. to indicate their admiration of the car. It's not about the money the car is worth or that you can afford to drive it, it's about admiring the car in and of itself.

In the UK, that never happened to me in 6.5 years accept at a Classic car Meet. Instead I and my wife actually noticed people purposely looking away many times, rather than even letting you see they noticed the car.

So it would seem they saw driving that car as either a: pretentious or b. did not want to acknowledge someone might be doing better than themself financially.

For me it was just a fun car to drive. I do recall one guy in a pub asking me why I drove that car and before I could answer the person sitting on the other side of him answering for me. 'Because he can'.

The funny thing is that no doubt someone like Tirytory will read this and again see me being pretentious in talking about driving a classic car. The car was worth $10,000. Not all classic cars cost $100k. So hardly 'ostentatious'. Now if it was a Bently or a Rolls, that might be what I would call ostentatious.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point dbd33. Cultural norms do indeed differ and I have noticed several in terms of money in different countries.

For example, someone in Canada would not ask you what salary you earn. But a discussion of average house prices is not personal if you see the difference. If on the other hand you were in Greece and told an acquaintance you had just bought a new house, they might well ask, 'how much did you pay.' Straight out, no embarassment, no intent other than simple curiousity.

From my observations as a Canadian (though born a Brit I left at age 7 so for all intents and purposes, I am Canadian) Brits have several cultural quirks I have noticed (I did later in life live there for 6.5 years). One being the subject of money which you note. It's even less acceptable to talk about it than in Canada as you describe.

Another is that there seems to be a dislike of seeing anyone do better for themselves than someone else. In N. America we admire a self-made person. In the UK, when someone moves to a nicer house or buys a nicer car, the neighbours seem to have to try and put that person down. 'Oh, it's probably leased not owned', etc.

Even my British born and raised wife agrees with me on this point. When I lived in the UK I drove a small classic sports car. In Canada, when you drive say a 1965 Mustang down the road, people will beep their horn and give you a thumbs up etc. to indicate their admiration of the car. It's not about the money the car is worth or that you can afford to drive it, it's about admiring the car in and of itself.

In the UK, that never happened to me in 6.5 years accept at a Classic car Meet. Instead I and my wife actually noticed people purposely looking away many times, rather than even letting you see they noticed the car.

So it would seem they saw driving that car as either a: pretentious or b. did not want to acknowledge someone might be doing better than themself financially.

For me it was just a fun car to drive. I do recall one guy in a pub asking me why I drove that car and before I could answer the person sitting on the other side of him answering for me. 'Because he can'.

The funny thing is that no doubt someone like Tirytory will read this and again see me being pretentious in talking about driving a classic car. The car was worth $10,000. Not all classic cars cost $100k. So hardly 'ostentatious'. Now if it was a Bently or a Rolls, that might be what I would call ostentatious.
Ah, I'm afraid you've rather hit upon my personal conceit. While I'm presenting myself on this thread in humble counterpoint to your apparent ego, I do drive a statement vehicle.

Some denounce it as pretentious, I've even heard "ridiculous". My conciously eco-friendly and humanitarian daughter declined even to sit in it. It's no exaggeration to say that, if I drive around the block by our office, passers-by focus on it, they look at me with interest. I know how it feels to have someone call out "nice car, Buddy".
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:14 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I would use the words smug, condescending, and irritating to describe you. Even in a post questioning your concept of money and worth you manage to tell us that you owned a Mustang. You miss the point about British people and money, it isn't that we resent the rich having money, we really don't care. What does irritate is people such as yourself going on about their houses, pensions, and cars.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:53 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by bats
I would use the words smug, condescending, and irritating to describe you. Even in a post questioning your concept of money and worth you manage to tell us that you owned a Mustang. You miss the point about British people and money, it isn't that we resent the rich having money, we really don't care. What does irritate is people such as yourself going on about their houses, pensions, and cars.
Nicely put Bats. Also the belittling of someone because they described an apartment as amazing, I think is exceptionally rude and quite unnecessary. You describe my base line as if I might look up to you and I'm jealous, and that makes me prickly. To be honest I couldn't care less. Does it really matter? Does it make me a better person if I can afford to live in a house that costs two million dollar house as opposed to a an apartment? Well I guess you know my answer to that one.

I think displays of wealth are not very nice, it's a bit like old money and new money, the difference in how showy you are.

Now the car thing, my husband loves cars, used to drive a nice two seater (can't remember the name, began with M I think) pre kids, and he will often admire a car, or would have his car admired. I didn't notice any of that false pretence or envy you talk of, I think maybe that's your perception rather than reality. I might look away from drivers but that's only because I think it's a bit rude to stare when you are minding your business driving a car. After all you only a drive a car for pleasure, not for what other people think of you. Honestly I don't get my husbands interest in cars, as long as it gets you from A to B who cares....
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:55 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not about the absolute numbers. It's about what you know and what you seem to value.

You know your numbers. You know your net worth, you know the value of your pension, you remember what price you paid and received for houses. That's not unusual in Canadians, previously there was a poster OceanMDX who knew his numbers, and one who'd retired to Beaver Valley who remembered what age he was when he retired and what his net worth had been at the beginning and end of that day. The latter, alas, for all his tens of thousands of dollars, lacked a memorable poster name.

I think it's unusual for British people to know their numbers. Pretentious isn't the word I would use but I think there is a cultural difference here, I think British people who are not poor find money boring and discussion of money rather vulgar. The poor, of course, have no option but to think constantly of their cash flow.

Canadians, I think, see having money as an important achievement. I don't think we do.
Also a good post, and probably sums it up nicely for me.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Abby2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the suggestions...and the rest! lol

Will have a look into all of these
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:29 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to differ. I started a business when I first emigrated here. I acquired land, built infrastructure, a home, purchased equipment etc etc. Neighbours, acquaintances and clients regularly felt they had the right to ask me how much money I was making, how much I'd spent on such and such and how I was able to afford it. It was intrusive and none of their business from my point of view. It wasn't admiration, it was noseyness.

When I sold the business, it all started again. How much profit did I make? why was the business worth $x? How could you justify that price? The sentiment was jealousy and distaste.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.