Reload this Page >

Area similar to Headingley, Leeds -

Area similar to Headingley, Leeds -

Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

DoubleFilms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Area similar to Headingley, Leeds -

Hi,

Me Mrs DF are going to Vancouver to study. We currently live in Headingley, Leeds.

Does anyone know of an area in or around Van that is similar?

We like the 'vibe' here - think younger population, cluds/bars, old style-cinemas and good links to town.

We are planning on getting a car, and also interested in good links to local ski hills (Semour / Cypress).

TIA
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:22 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Area similar to Headingley, Leeds -

Blimey, I came to canada to get away from areas like Headingley....Piss smelling back alleys, bars at the windows and burned out stolen cars. Lovely folk though; In and out of each others houses all day long (not necessarily with permission mind).

Maybe its changed since I was a student...
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

emmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to all

No it hasn't!!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:26 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DoubleFilms
think younger population, cluds/bars, old style-cinemas and good links to town.
Kitsilano.

But, with that having been said, it's not cheap (at least not by Canadian standards).
x
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

DoubleFilms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Blimey, I came to canada to get away from areas like Headingley....Piss smelling back alleys, bars at the windows and burned out stolen cars. Lovely folk though; In and out of each others houses all day long (not necessarily with permission mind).

I'd say you're thinking of Hyde park...

Headingley - cottage road cinema, Becketts park, quiet Sunday pint in the Taps, jumpers for goal-posts...

not really looking for smelly back streets either, but the wife might be, i'll ask her...

Nope she isn't either, but says she likes eating in Juno Thai Cafe, and jumping on a bus into town to go shopping.

Last edited by DoubleFilms; Sep 12th 2008 at 3:31 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:34 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I used to live in Headingley.Area wise I'd say either Kits (which has been said can be expensive renting wise), Commercial Drive or Mount Pleasant. They all have that "young" vibe with little pretension, and lots of fun little bars & restaurants!

Good luck and feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

Tigger
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:05 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tigger1
Area wise I'd say either Kits (which has been said can be expensive renting wise), Commercial Drive or Mount Pleasant. They all have that "young" vibe with little pretension, and lots of fun little bars & restaurants!
Yaletown ? But it has the pretension.

R.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

citicat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the rough

Lol couldnt help but laugh
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:49 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I did find that amusing - I remember fondly the in and out of each others houses all day long (without permission) - fortunately I was too poor to have anything worth taking.