Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Area help - Ontario for a family?

Area help - Ontario for a family?

Old Jul 3rd 2017, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Elmfam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Area help - Ontario for a family?

Hi everyone.

Still trying to get use to this so hope it's reaching the correct people.

Me and my family are looking into relocating and currently looking into the area of Sudbury but I have recently been advised this isn't too popular to call a place home.

We are generally looking into Ontario. What is it like for work for gas fitter/plumbers. I have good experience in other trades too and also a qualified joiner.

I will turn my hand to anything to get started as I will need to become red seal approved.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Area help - Ontario for a family?

Originally Posted by Elmfam
Hi everyone.

Still trying to get use to this so hope it's reaching the correct people.

Me and my family are looking into relocating and currently looking into the area of Sudbury but I have recently been advised this isn't too popular to call a place home.

We are generally looking into Ontario. What is it like for work for gas fitter/plumbers. I have good experience in other trades too and also a qualified joiner.

I will turn my hand to anything to get started as I will need to become red seal approved.

Thanks in advance
Hi there.

I don't know anything about visas as it has changed since we applied.

I'm curious why Sudbury though? I've never been but have never heard anything about the city making me want to go either...
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 7:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Area help - Ontario for a family?

Hi, I've amended your thread title just so that those in Ontario see it and will hopefully respond.

It would also be helpful if you gave more of an idea about what kind of thing you are after - what amenities you'd like close by, whether you need to be within a certain distance from trains/planes, the kind of schools you'd like, your budget (and what you'd want housing wise for that i.e. just a 2 bed apartment or a 6 bed mansion), if you don't mind longer winters or more humid summers, whether or not your wife hopes to work (and if so, doing what), etc. The more info you can give the better, so that people can help and suggest areas that might suit.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Sudbury is a small city in Northers Ontario. It is primarily a mining town known locally as Nickel City, nickel being the main product of the mine. As with all industrial type locales it is a gritty city but nevertheless for those into outdoor activities it can be ideal. Surrounded by many lakes for fishing, boating and on-the-water summer activities. There is skating, ice hockey, skiing (cross country probably) and all manner of winter activities to keep families occupied. Winters will be tougher than what you're used to but the city is well equipped to deal with winter and provided you're appropriately clothed it isn't really an issue.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Elmfam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help.

Back to the drawing board I think. Will be easier once we get over there for a visit. One of the ideas for being near mining works is that if I struggle for work as a gas fitter I can hopefully get on one to start off with. Or maybe work as a handyman but not looked into licences for this.

I will definitely show these details to my wife and see what she thinks once we add them to pros and cons.

I initially wanted to go to NS or British Columbia.

We will get there....

Thanks again
Old Jul 4th 2017, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We often make the mistake that moving to an area where housing is cheaper is the obvious. But cheap housing usually means not many jobs available. Sometimes it's better to have a bigger mortgage with an income to pay for it...
Not saying this is the case...
Old Jul 4th 2017, 1:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elmfam
.... One of the ideas for being near mining works is that if I struggle for work as a gas fitter I can hopefully get on one to start off with. ....
Mining is very cyclical, based on price and demand for whatever is being mined - when demand falls, prices fall and the mine, and everyone nearby who indirectly depends on the mine for income, such as groceries, restaurants, clothing stores, and basically the entire retail sector, goes to 4ëll in a hand basket.

So if the mine is doing well then there will likely be plenty of work in the construction trades, and if the mine isn't doing well then the construction trades will also suffer, ..... and there will be not a hope of getting a job at the mine either!
Old Jul 4th 2017, 3:07 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean domestic gas fitter? My husband is a gas fitter. You'll need to write a certification exam or two. The governing body is TSSA, look on their website under fuels. There are three levels of gas technician, 1,2, and 3.
You can apply to challenge the exam based on you current experience and qualifications. Challenge means to take the exam without taking a course. My husband was allowed to challenge but time lapsed and so he went back to college on full time intensive courses which cost a lot. In the UK he was CORGI certifies for domestic and commercial. Here he does domestic.

There isn't much call for work in spring and summer so it's not unusual to be laid off then. I understand that there's work installing gas furnaces etc on new subdivision housing.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 12:17 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

The thing against Sudbury for me, we visited it once or twice for Swim meets is that it's about 4 1/2 from your major airport. Such a long drive to get anywhere would be off putting for me especially since going home to see friends and family becomes transatlantic..
Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Reeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond repute

I would not want to live in Sudbury but on the other hand, I have a friend who does because he loves hunting, fishing, snowmobileing, etc. and would hate to live in the city of Toronto where it takes an hour just to drive out of the city itself.

My point is that where anyone likes or doesn't like, doesn't depend on what job they do (although that may force them to live in a particular place as well). Where you will LIKE to live depends on your interests outside of your job.

Tirytory also makes a good point regarding travel. IF that matters to you. The same is true of things like the weather. Northern Ontario is colder than farther south obviously. Compare somewhere like Windsor, Ontario to Sudbury for average weather on this page: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...al-average.php