Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Approximately how much should I expect to spend as a UK GP planning the move.

Approximately how much should I expect to spend as a UK GP planning the move.

Old Jun 19th 2019, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Approximately how much should I expect to spend as a UK GP planning the move

Originally Posted by Poundlanddoc

Yeah, snow boots and thermals! I have a number of friends working in different provinces and they have advised the same as you in terms of varying levels of winter temperatures and durations. BC does look lovely from the pics and videos i get back. Who knows I might end up changing my mind after my prearranged site visits. For the time being, it is a toss up between Ontario and NS. Have you completed/started your processing?
Hi - I moved to BC Nov 2017 and took 18 months from start to 1st day of work and I had to do extra psych attachment which is no longer needed so should be much quicker now.
Climate was a major decision in our choice of where we went and I couldnt live anywhere but BC - we had 20C in the Okanagan and I flew to Calgary for my MCCQE2 exam and is was 0C and snowing there!
Winters in some provinces can be brutal but I was walking my dogs in a T- shirt and sweating in November here we had very mild weather until February then a cold month and eased off after this

All I can say is Canada is awesome - beautiful and if you like outdoor life its unparalelled for choice.
It can get confusing but I would focus on your professional career decision. Life anywhere is what you put into it. I lived in Edinburgh and had a great bunch of friends there and in the North East where I grew up and Cumbria where I had my kids. Left 2 adult kids in the UK and do miss my family and friends but 18 month in there is absolutely zero chance I will go back to the UK before retirement

I hated work in the NHS. I had been a partner then salaried and it was awful. Locum work was OK but its piecemeal medicine and I was very unfulfilled. Here I have my own list - I work as many days/ hours I want. I take as much holiday as I want and if I have a social event I can fit work around it.

Canadians are a generally much happier and less demanding group than UK patients and they are so grateful to have a GP!! I do work in care homes and visit there every 2 weeks and they treat me like a rockstar as most GP's here havent seen the inside of a care home for decades.

There are also far less complaints/ litigation than in England. I have had a new job bounce in the past for a few months but 18 months in the thought of working in the NHS again makes me feel ill.
I work pretty hard - good thing is if you work harder you earn more so feel more rewarded.

I also cant say enought good words about this forum there are so many folk on here that will give you free advice that is incredibly helpful so I would utilise it to your benefit!!
If you have any specific queries about BC/GP here then feel free to PM me

(Apologies about typos I found out today I passed my second exam so have had a few celebratory beers
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:45 am
Just Joined

Poundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Approximately how much should I expect to spend as a UK GP planning the move

Originally Posted by Grimnorth
I will PM you
PM received. Very helpful info. Thanks very much.

Originally Posted by Richb1970
Hi - I moved to BC Nov 2017 and took 18 months from start to 1st day of work and I had to do extra psych attachment which is no longer needed so should be much quicker now.
Climate was a major decision in our choice of where we went and I couldnt live anywhere but BC - we had 20C in the Okanagan and I flew to Calgary for my MCCQE2 exam and is was 0C and snowing there!
Winters in some provinces can be brutal but I was walking my dogs in a T- shirt and sweating in November here we had very mild weather until February then a cold month and eased off after this

All I can say is Canada is awesome - beautiful and if you like outdoor life its unparalelled for choice.
It can get confusing but I would focus on your professional career decision. Life anywhere is what you put into it. I lived in Edinburgh and had a great bunch of friends there and in the North East where I grew up and Cumbria where I had my kids. Left 2 adult kids in the UK and do miss my family and friends but 18 month in there is absolutely zero chance I will go back to the UK before retirement

I hated work in the NHS. I had been a partner then salaried and it was awful. Locum work was OK but its piecemeal medicine and I was very unfulfilled. Here I have my own list - I work as many days/ hours I want. I take as much holiday as I want and if I have a social event I can fit work around it.

Canadians are a generally much happier and less demanding group than UK patients and they are so grateful to have a GP!! I do work in care homes and visit there every 2 weeks and they treat me like a rockstar as most GP's here havent seen the inside of a care home for decades.

There are also far less complaints/ litigation than in England. I have had a new job bounce in the past for a few months but 18 months in the thought of working in the NHS again makes me feel ill.
I work pretty hard - good thing is if you work harder you earn more so feel more rewarded.

I also cant say enought good words about this forum there are so many folk on here that will give you free advice that is incredibly helpful so I would utilise it to your benefit!!
If you have any specific queries about BC/GP here then feel free to PM me

(Apologies about typos I found out today I passed my second exam so have had a few celebratory beers
Congrats!! What study material did you use for the QE2? Healthmatch BC, despite the cancellation of extras, are still quite demanding! The weather part sounds ideal.......just worried about the distance to the UK. Like yourself, I still have family ties and I would feel slightly better if i felt i could hop on the next flight and be there in 8hours or less. Maybe it is just unwarranted anxiety on my part. Yes, Partnerships (and salaried posts for that matter) are no longer popular choices. Quite fed up with the second class citizen feel of being a GP in the UK and after dedicating a significant chunk of my life’s worth and work in payback to the NHS, I think it is reasonable to think of myself and my needs.
So happy to hear we can manage care homes also! I do miss my ward rounds at the homes now that I have given up my permanent post to locum. I am fundamentally a very boring GP and love the continuity and banter with my regular patients. Although the pay is better, as you have discussed, it is too patchy and nomadic for me.
The forum has been great for me too. I had been lurking in the shadows for a while and decided to become active after reading through this thread.

well good luck and all that. Hope the hangover is not brutal
Old Jun 19th 2019, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poundlanddoc

PM received. Very helpful info. Thanks very much.

Congrats!! What study material did you use for the QE2? Healthmatch BC, despite the cancellation of extras, are still quite demanding! The weather part sounds ideal.......just worried about the distance to the UK. Like yourself, I still have family ties and I would feel slightly better if i felt i could hop on the next flight and be there in 8hours or less. Maybe it is just unwarranted anxiety on my part. Yes, Partnerships (and salaried posts for that matter) are no longer popular choices. Quite fed up with the second class citizen feel of being a GP in the UK and after dedicating a significant chunk of my life’s worth and work in payback to the NHS, I think it is reasonable to think of myself and my needs.
So happy to hear we can manage care homes also! I do miss my ward rounds at the homes now that I have given up my permanent post to locum. I am fundamentally a very boring GP and love the continuity and banter with my regular patients. Although the pay is better, as you have discussed, it is too patchy and nomadic for me.
The forum has been great for me too. I had been lurking in the shadows for a while and decided to become active after reading through this thread.

well good luck and all that. Hope the hangover is not brutal
Am fine was just a couple of beers!
I basically used QBank (you get it free with provisional college registration) for QE1 and QE2
Its an exam where you need to demonstrate certain competencies - I made up lists for good history taking and exam technique then just practiced in my clinic
The management stuff is very hit and miss as I had a lot of surgical stuff in the exam.
Looking back the gaps I had would be fluid managament and IV antibiotics in A&E management
Also counselling and discussions with patients was a lot of the exam so could have focused on that a little more
Old Jun 21st 2019, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Poundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richb1970
Am fine was just a couple of beers!
I basically used QBank (you get it free with provisional college registration) for QE1 and QE2
Its an exam where you need to demonstrate certain competencies - I made up lists for good history taking and exam technique then just practiced in my clinic
The management stuff is very hit and miss as I had a lot of surgical stuff in the exam.
Looking back the gaps I had would be fluid managament and IV antibiotics in A&E management
Also counselling and discussions with patients was a lot of the exam so could have focused on that a little more
Despite these blips you passed! Must have done very well in other domains. There’s hope for us after all. Thank you
Old Jun 24th 2019, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Scotty1972 will become famous soon enoughScotty1972 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Olaajoke
Hi everyone!

I'm sure someone has answered this question before in one of the very informative threads that already exist but I just can't find the answer!

I am a single, UK trained GP just starting the long, arduous and seemingly very expensive process to get licensed in Canada(hopefully Ontario or BC).

Could someone please tell me how much I should expect to spend for the whole process i.e source verification/applications for eligibility/exams etc? I would like to set a budget aside/save accordingly.

Thanks in advance!
too much!