Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Approximately how much should I expect to spend as a UK GP planning the move.

Approximately how much should I expect to spend as a UK GP planning the move.

Old Jun 1st 2019, 10:38 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Approximately how much should I expect to spend as a UK GP planning the move

Originally Posted by Poundlanddoc

Again, I couldn’t agree more. It really depends on what one is looking for. I am a bit of a precious princess and will not thrive or survive in areas with exceptionally long and harsh winters. BC had to be pushed lower down the list purely due to the distance. Hopefully, I’ll be able to narrow down my choices with time and site visits.
BC is definitely a potential option although the costs of living in Metro Vancouver are insane. Southern Ontario winters aren't too bad from my experience as long as you dress well for them. The temperatures are definitely low but you don't usually get the nasty wind chill and lashing rain that you do in the UK. As long as you have a decent warm coat and a pair of snow boots then you're usually OK.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Approximately how much should I expect to spend as a UK GP planning the move

I am a bit of a precious princess and will not thrive or survive in areas with exceptionally long and harsh winters.
I would honestly, and seriously, consider if Canada is even the right choice for you.

We can all say how winter isn't that bad/it's the worst thing ever/it's a dry cold/it's a damp cold/wind chill factor blahs blah, but the reality, winter at some point in some place every year can be brutal.
However, 35M+ people do live here ok. You should visit in January and tour a bit.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 5:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Really adds up!
Add on ECA/IELTS fees, medical, police certs etc - probably about $3000 in all. Still a drop in the ocean when it comes to the cost of moving and setting up life in a new country though, which is usually tens of thousands of pounds. The visa fees are the cheap bit!
Old Jun 1st 2019, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Poundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
BC is definitely a potential option although the costs of living in Metro Vancouver are insane. Southern Ontario winters aren't too bad from my experience as long as you dress well for them. The temperatures are definitely low but you don't usually get the nasty wind chill and lashing rain that you do in the UK. As long as you have a decent warm coat and a pair of snow boots then you're usually OK.
Yeah, snow boots and thermals! I have a number of friends working in different provinces and they have advised the same as you in terms of varying levels of winter temperatures and durations. BC does look lovely from the pics and videos i get back. Who knows I might end up changing my mind after my prearranged site visits. For the time being, it is a toss up between Ontario and NS. Have you completed/started your processing?
Old Jun 1st 2019, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Poundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond reputePoundlanddoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Add on ECA/IELTS fees, medical, police certs etc - probably about $3000 in all. Still a drop in the ocean when it comes to the cost of moving and setting up life in a new country though, which is usually tens of thousands of pounds. The visa fees are the cheap bit!
☺️ 6 years worth of savings and research in prep for Canada and I still feel I am not prepped enough! It really does mount up financially. The fact that I’ll be starting out all over again, so to speak, is the mental hurdle that trumps every other consideration and I am still in a state of flux over.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 6:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

☺️ 6 years worth of savings and research in prep for Canada and I still feel I am not prepped enough! It really does mount up financially. The fact that I’ll be starting out all over again, so to speak, is the mental hurdle that trumps every other consideration and I am still in a state of flux over.
I think it's like having a baby - you can prepare as much as possible, but you're never really ready!
Old Jun 1st 2019, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: Approximately how much should I expect to spend as a UK GP planning the move

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think it's like having a baby - you can prepare as much as possible, but you're never really ready!
very true! This overdue baby needs birthing quite frankly, whatever the outcome and complications
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

hi Poundlanddoc

you can always go to NS without any exam and get your full license I believe by 5 years of work then relocate to Ontario. Most of NS work as GP is rural area in NS. For Ontario unfortunately you have to do QE 1 and QE2 to get full license. you will have 3 yrs to do it. I am based in Ontario so any question for Ontario I can try to answer. good luck
Old Jun 6th 2019, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hasan78
hi Poundlanddoc

you can always go to NS without any exam and get your full license I believe by 5 years of work then relocate to Ontario. Most of NS work as GP is rural area in NS. For Ontario unfortunately you have to do QE 1 and QE2 to get full license. you will have 3 yrs to do it. I am based in Ontario so any question for Ontario I can try to answer. good luck
Shame. Sounds like Halifax is highly unlikely then? Not keen on commuting great distances in Ontario. Would like to settle initially for 18-24 months until I orientate a bit to the work pattern/procedures/policies. I’ve had a few phone interviews and will be visiting sites in London, Burlington and Mississauga. What areas would you recommend in southern Ontario and why?
Old Jun 6th 2019, 4:29 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Shame. Sounds like Halifax is highly unlikely then? Not keen on commuting great distances in Ontario. Would like to settle initially for 18-24 months until I orientate a bit to the work pattern/procedures/policies. I’ve had a few phone interviews and will be visiting sites in London, Burlington and Mississauga. What areas would you recommend in southern Ontario and why?
You should consider Northern Ontario. You don’t have to go more than two hours from Toronto to be considered Northen Ontario. There are considerable financial benefits to working up here, and you can still join a FHG which also is financially lucrative. It’s also beautiful.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tirytory

You should consider Northern Ontario. You don’t have to go more than two hours from Toronto to be considered Northen Ontario. There are considerable financial benefits to working up here, and you can still join a FHG which also is financially lucrative. It’s also beautiful.
Hello
FHG/FHO/FHT/FFS payment methods are still a bit confusing. Almost everyone I know uses FFS. How is FHG superior to FFS and doesn’t FHG have number of clauses attached?
I looked up the area listed in your profile (Muskoka) and it described a flood and listed it as the Malibu of Canada? Confusing. Possibly tongue in cheek on the part of the journalist? but I”ll research Northern Ontario also. Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Grimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Olaajoke and Poundlanddoc,

Let me start by saying I am not a doctor but I do live in Nova Scotia and my company does contract work for various provincial Health authorities including NS.

NS is currently going through a huge finger pointing period for the lack of Doctors, government are under pressure to sort it out. Major hospitals in the cities, including Halifax are short (A&E's have been closed) and rural GP's are becoming an endangered species. With the pressure mounting, now may be a good time to look at NS as the Health department may be more cooperative.

Someone mentioned incorporation for tax purposes, unfortunately recent Federal changes have adversely affected this, which is part of the reason we are losing doctors. You should take a look at this separately, we are incorporated and much bigger than your average practice but its still a pain.

If you want to speak with someone with direct experience here in NS then PM me your E Mails and I will get some doctors here to get in touch (even recent expat ones).

Good luck
Old Jun 15th 2019, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grimnorth

Let me start by saying I am not a doctor but I do live in Nova Scotia and my company does contract work for various provincial Health authorities including NS.

NS is currently going through a huge finger pointing period for the lack of Doctors, government are under pressure to sort it out. Major hospitals in the cities, including Halifax are short (A&E's have been closed) and rural GP's are becoming an endangered species. With the pressure mounting, now may be a good time to look at NS as the Health department may be more cooperative.

Someone mentioned incorporation for tax purposes, unfortunately recent Federal changes have adversely affected this, which is part of the reason we are losing doctors. You should take a look at this separately, we are incorporated and much bigger than your average practice but its still a pain.

If you want to speak with someone with direct experience here in NS then PM me your E Mails and I will get some doctors here to get in touch (even recent expat ones).

Good luck
This seems to be a problem across Canada, at least it is in BC and I hear about problems in Alberta, Ontario, etc.

Many people are unable to find a permanent doctor and depend on walk-in clinics.

What seems to be happening in BC is that doctors are preferring salaried positions not fee-for-service, and to not work as long hours as has been the case (who can blame them?!!)
Old Jun 18th 2019, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grimnorth

Good luck
Hello Grimnorth,
Thanks for the valuable info. Could you elaborate on the problem with Incorporating a small company such as a single surgery in NS?
Old Jun 18th 2019, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Grimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond repute

I will PM you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.