British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Applying for UK passport renewal in Canada. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/applying-uk-passport-renewal-canada-920448/)

Kiirk Dec 27th 2018 1:32 am

Applying for UK passport renewal in Canada.

As always, passport renewal has been left late.

I have Canadian PR & British Passport, living in Canada.

* 15th February visiting the US for a few days.

* 15-25th April visiting the UK for 10 days.

3rd May - passport expires.

Looking online it says it takes four weeks for a passport renewal, having to send in my old passport. That cuts it tight to the trip to the US. Then there is 8 weeks between the US & UK visit. Finally my passport expires a week after my trip to the UK.

So this gives me three options of renewal:

1. Try now, if it takes more than 6 weeks I'm screwed out of the trip to the US.

2. Immediately after I return from the US in February, apply and I have 8 weeks to receive the updated passport.

3. Wait until I return from the UK in April, on which I have 7 days valid on my passport at that point. It gives me a week of buffer if my flights are delayed - and really I could get one same day in the UK if needed by travelling to an office.

Any suggestions ?

withabix Dec 27th 2018 3:07 am

Re: Applying for UK passport renewal in Canada.

Where are you getting those durations from?

It took me under a week to get a new passport - everything gets pre-validated online and you send off by express courier.

I sent mine off a Friday, it arrived in the UK at the passport office on the Monday and I got my new passport in my hand on Thursday. I'm in Vancouver.

Option 2 is the one to go for. It says 4 weeks online, but I suspect you will get it back quicker. DO NOT USE STANDARD POST TO SEND TO UK. Option 3 will do as well. Your passport only needs to be valid on the day you land back in Canada.

Kiirk Dec 27th 2018 11:16 am

Four weeks is from the UK passport website. My other durations are the dates in I'm in the US, UK & passport expiry.

Leaning for the second option in that case.

Thanks for the help.

BristolUK Dec 27th 2018 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by withabix (Post 12613127)
It took me under a week to get a new passport - everything gets pre-validated online and you send off by express courier.

DO NOT USE STANDARD POST TO SEND TO UK.

I did mine in 2016. All done within 2 weeks. I used Canada Post to send it registered. $11.

BritInParis Dec 27th 2018 3:08 pm

Renew it now. You’ll get it back by mid-January.

Allie73 Dec 27th 2018 3:33 pm

We renewed our son's passport in October. We mailed the application on a Wednesday and had the new passport the next Friday. We were shocked how quick it was.

MarylandNed Dec 27th 2018 3:42 pm

Apply now. My daughter (who lives in London, ON) just recently got her new British passport in 2 weeks from start to finish. Hers wasn't even a renewal - it was treated as a first time application because her previous passport was a 5 year child passport that had been expired a long time.

jamesmc Dec 27th 2018 4:24 pm

fedex it out to durham uk comes back via purulator less than two weeks out in the boonies

Kentonmag Dec 27th 2018 5:10 pm

Agree with all of the above, did mine last year and had my new passport back in a couple of weeks.

BristolUK Dec 27th 2018 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 12613334)
fedex it out to durham uk comes back via purulator less than two weeks out in the boonies

The fee includes courier return. Is that $88 quoted on the Fedex website about right?
I'll stick with the $11 Canada Post registered and have fun with $70 odd instead. :drinkingwine: