Reload this Page >

applying for sin card but PR expired

applying for sin card but PR expired

Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

mikemyers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default applying for sin card but PR expired

Hi

I am new to this and not sure if anyone has the answer to this and there are two issues but here goes

1- I have a PR card that expired at the end of last year, i could not make it back to canada due personal issues but planning to enter this year and not leave till i am eligible to apply for a renewal of my PR card. I do own my home and will be driving in my car across the border
a) will i be able to enter the country ? i have read that others entered by road just wondering what issues were encountered if any?

2- my second problem is i applied for a SIN card but when i submitted the application they said the PR has to be valid but i had called in prior to submitting as the website says 'PR card issued by citizenship and immgration canada' but it does not say 'a valid PR card.....' .So i called in to check before applying and the agent said it does not have to be vaild they need to confirm the 'status' of the person in order to what type of card to issue.

now the biggest issue is i wont be abe to apply for renewal of my pr after 3 years if i dont have a tax filing and i cant apply for a SIN card if i dont have a valid PR. Its a catch-22 sutuation

Any help/advise is appreciated
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: applying for sin card but PR expired

Is it your PR *card*, or your PR *status* which has expired? The two are independent of each other.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

mikemyers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Is it your PR *card*, or your PR *status* which has expired? The two are independent of each other.
the pr card has expired sorry dont follow what u mean by pr 'status' expired

tx
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:18 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemyers
Hi

I am new to this and not sure if anyone has the answer to this and there are two issues but here goes

1- I have a PR card that expired at the end of last year, i could not make it back to canada due personal issues but planning to enter this year and not leave till i am eligible to apply for a renewal of my PR card. I do own my home and will be driving in my car across the border
a) will i be able to enter the country ? i have read that others entered by road just wondering what issues were encountered if any?

2- my second problem is i applied for a SIN card but when i submitted the application they said the PR has to be valid but i had called in prior to submitting as the website says 'PR card issued by citizenship and immgration canada' but it does not say 'a valid PR card.....' .So i called in to check before applying and the agent said it does not have to be vaild they need to confirm the 'status' of the person in order to what type of card to issue.

now the biggest issue is i wont be abe to apply for renewal of my pr after 3 years if i dont have a tax filing and i cant apply for a SIN card if i dont have a valid PR. Its a catch-22 sutuation

Any help/advise is appreciated

Maintaining PR has nothing to do with filing tax returns, it has everything to do with living in Canada for 2 years out of the preceding 5 years. If you have failed to live in Canada for 2 years out of the previous 5, you have lost PR. Quite likely this is a question you would be asked when crossing into Canada, especially if you cannot produce a valid PR card. At this point an immigration office would decide if your PR status is lost.

Not sure why you think an expired PR card would be of any use, when a requirement is to provide a PR card, surely it goes without saying it should be valid.

If you don't already have a SIN card, you won't be able to get one without proof of having valid PR status. Without a SIN you won't be able to work, claim any govt. benefits you may have been entitled to or file any tax returns.

If you have lived in Canada for two of the preceding 5 years, you can sort this out no problem, if not, you are in a lot of a pickle.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 9th 2012 at 8:30 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemyers
the pr card has expired sorry dont follow what u mean by pr 'status' expired

tx
If you live in Canada for less than two years in any five-year period, your PR *status* will expire, which means you will no longer be a PR. Having or not having a valid PR card doesn't have any bearing on the outcome.

You may be successful in 'tricking' a Canada border guard into letting you into the country and then pretend you're still a PR, but unfortunately when the time comes to renew your PR card you'll be found out, as you'll have to provide proof that you lived in Canada long enough to keep your status.

Yes, you'll have to prove that you've met the residence requirement from the time you became a PR. The burden of proof rests on you.

In short, you're very unlikely to get away with what you're trying to do. I would strongly advise you to take professional legal advice.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aviator, looks like you beat me to it
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

When you 1st landed how come you didnt get a SIN number once you got your PR card?
I suggest you read this manual regarding your PR status.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf23-eng.pdf
Old Sep 9th 2012, 10:48 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Strange ehh? Most new PR types go straight to gettin a Sin#, bank account, visa card, rental/buy property, car, do not pass GO. Ect.

Maybe the OP came over, activated PR and went back for 5 years.?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:10 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
If you live in Canada for less than two years in any five-year period, your PR *status* will expire, which means you will no longer be a PR. Having or not having a valid PR card doesn't have any bearing on the outcome.

You may be successful in 'tricking' a Canada border guard into letting you into the country and then pretend you're still a PR, but unfortunately when the time comes to renew your PR card you'll be found out, as you'll have to provide proof that you lived in Canada long enough to keep your status.

Yes, you'll have to prove that you've met the residence requirement from the time you became a PR. The burden of proof rests on you.

In short, you're very unlikely to get away with what you're trying to do. I would strongly advise you to take professional legal advice.

1. A number of forums counsel posters to enter Canada from the US by land if their PR card is expired or they haven't met their PR obligations. Border officers don't seem to check to see if PR obligations have been met.
2. Then all you do in Canada is not renew your PR card until you have 730 days of residency, and then renew it. There is no law that says you have to have a valid PR card while residing in Canada.
3. CIC only looks 5 years back on renewal to see if you have met your PR residency.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. A number of forums counsel posters to enter Canada from the US by land if their PR card is expired or they haven't met their PR obligations. Border officers don't seem to check to see if PR obligations have been met.
2. Then all you do in Canada is not renew your PR card until you have 730 days of residency, and then renew it. There is no law that says you have to have a valid PR card while residing in Canada.
3. CIC only looks 5 years back on renewal to see if you have met your PR residency.
We do check where we suspect that the residency obligations have not or cannot be met. BSOs are not in the habit of checking every PR returning to Canada to see if they have met their residency obligations. If we did our Immigration offices would be full and full of pissed off PRs.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:52 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

However without a valid proof of PR they cannot get a SIN, without a SIN they cannot register or report anything to govt, open a bank account or work.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:52 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

what happens is you have a valid PR card and SIN number but your PR status expires?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

PR staus does not expire. If you have not met your PR residency obligations it will be take away from you.

You might be allowed back into the country and you would also be allowed to work as SIN numbers do not expire for PRs

but if you try to renew your PR card, you would have to provide details for the previous 5 years and at this point you would officially lose your PR status.

There are those who manage to get in without being asked any difficult questions and then they do not renew their PR card until they can renew their PR card without disclosing that they have not met the requirements, but as has been said, those who did not apply for a SIN card when they had the chance will be out of luck doing it without a valid PR card.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
what happens is you have a valid PR card and SIN number but your PR status expires?
If you fail to meet the residency obligations, subsequently put misleading or false information on an application for a PR card renewal or for citizenship, you get found out at any time in the future, PR or citizenship can be taken away from you at any time, even 30 years down the road. Is it likely, who knows, people say some stupid things on Facebook, Twitter or brag to someone, then piss them off a few years later.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:06 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you fail to meet the residency obligations, subsequently put misleading or false information on an application for a PR card renewal or for citizenship, you get found out at any time in the future, PR or citizenship can be taken away from you at any time, even 30 years down the road. Is it likely, who knows, people say some stupid things on Facebook, Twitter or brag to someone, then piss them off a few years later.
Cases in point...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4532222/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.