Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Applying for jobs from outside Canada - how hard is it?

Applying for jobs from outside Canada - how hard is it?

Old Jul 11th 2013, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for jobs from outside Canada - how hard is it?

I am generally terrible about applying for jobs - I worry about every little detail instead of just sticking an application in and going for it. So whilst I really want to put a few job applications in from the UK, I'm worrying about whether I should really bother because I feel like I'll get nowhere unless they can interview me in person.

I am Canadian so no visa problems - if I get a job I could just move right away.

Am I worrying over nothing? What are people's experiences of success getting interviews via phone or skype?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for jobs from outside Canada - how hard is it?

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
I am generally terrible about applying for jobs - I worry about every little detail instead of just sticking an application in and going for it. So whilst I really want to put a few job applications in from the UK, I'm worrying about whether I should really bother because I feel like I'll get nowhere unless they can interview me in person.

I am Canadian so no visa problems - if I get a job I could just move right away.

Am I worrying over nothing? What are people's experiences of success getting interviews via phone or skype?
From our experience, don't bother. Also a friend who is moving over is not getting anywhere so in my opinion it would be more appropriate to make sure you had funds to support you and then just make the move.
Saying that some people have been successful so maybe it depends on your line of work and what part of Canada you are aplying to...

Just as an FYI, if you "apply now" through many of the job websites such as careerbeacon, the employer won't get your application as it gets blocked because of your IP address...
Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:18 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prairiechicken

Depends on the job you are going for. If it is filling shelves or serving in a fast food joint, unlikely to have much success. If it is a skilled job, others have done in it, myself included.

If you are Canadian and indicate you are ready to move right away and willing to fly in for an interview, or over skype, you would have as much chance as anyone if you meet the criteria.

Where some have had a problem is applying for jobs from overseas and not having legal residency. Make it very clear in your cover letter of your citizenship and ability to move immediately.

You are right to focus on the details, get your applications proofread by someone else, maybe someone who speaks and writes Canadian.

If your IP address gets blocked for online applications, use a VPN that gives you a Canadian IP. Alternatively, fax in your resume. Nothing stopping you applying to companies that have not advertised. In all my working life I never applied for a job that was advertised, other than the service, all were networking using contacts and contacts who knew someone.

Last edited by Aviator; Jul 11th 2013 at 5:21 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:18 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what work you do, but I've managed to network quite well from the UK and then followed up with a trip out to meet people face to face.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
From our experience, don't bother. Also a friend who is moving over is not getting anywhere so in my opinion it would be more appropriate to make sure you had funds to support you and then just make the move.
Saying that some people have been successful so maybe it depends on your line of work and what part of Canada you are aplying to...
When I moved to Toronto, I was a software engineer in a technology in which it was difficult for employers to fill open positions. I had sounded out potential employers beforehand and I was pretty sure I was going to get a job although the employers wanted to interview me in person the day after I arrived. I was offered a job at the first interview and accepted. If Skype had been available back then I'm sure I'd have had the job before even moving. And I required a TWP so that had to be sorted out after the interview as well. The OP is a Canadian citizen so that will make it even easier.

When I later moved to the US, I got a job offer just with a telephone interview. The employer arranged the work permit without even meeting me and I had never even set foot in the state until I made the move.

So it really does depend on the job. With technology like Skype now available, it's easier to conduct long distance interviews. And again, the OP being a Canadian citizen is going to remove any immigration obstacles.

So I would suggest that the OP does as much job hunting and interviewing as possible ahead of time if there are employers willing to talk.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 6:38 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Depends what work you do, but I've managed to network quite well from the UK and then followed up with a trip out to meet people face to face.
social network from UK ? Linkedin etc

my understanding of networking, was meeting people, swapping biz cards etc

or is it cold calling/e-mailing etc
Old Jul 11th 2013, 6:54 pm

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
social network from UK ? Linkedin etc

my understanding of networking, was meeting people, swapping biz cards etc

or is it cold calling/e-mailing etc
I've made so many connections on LinkedIn it really is a very useful tool, combined with a Skype calling package to Canada. I also took a trip out to Vancouver to follow up with my connections and made several trips to London to meet with the UK operations of several companies.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 6:59 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
I've made so many connections on LinkedIn it really is a very useful tool, combined with a Skype calling package to Canada. I also took a trip out to Vancouver to follow up with my connections and made several trips to London to meet with the UK operations of several companies.
thanks
just got into the whole linkedin thing recently - was a bit sceptical at first
as am very anti-facebook etc
Old Jul 11th 2013, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
thanks
just got into the whole linkedin thing recently - was a bit sceptical at first
as am very anti-facebook etc
I was sceptical at first but if you put the leg work in so to speak it can pay divends