Reload this Page >

Applying for jobs in Canada

Applying for jobs in Canada

Old May 20th 2014, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Irishlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for jobs in Canada

Hello guys,

When applying for jobs in Canada (either temporary or permanent), do employers ask just for your SIN number or do they also ask for your Permanent Residence Card? Which documentation do you need to provide when applying for a job in Canada (SIN? Permanent Residence Card? Birth Certificate? Passport? etc.)

Thanks for this information,
Irishlady
Old May 20th 2014, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for jobs in Canada

I think its just your SIN ,the SIN for a temporary visa starts with a different number than a SIN when you have PR .
Old May 20th 2014, 2:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishlady
Hello guys,

When applying for jobs in Canada (either temporary or permanent), do employers ask just for your SIN number or do they also ask for your Permanent Residence Card? Which documentation do you need to provide when applying for a job in Canada (SIN? Permanent Residence Card? Birth Certificate? Passport? etc.)

Thanks for this information,
Irishlady
They don't ask for either when you apply.

They will ask you for your SI Number when you sign the contract of employment.

Could I suggest you have a read of some of the wiki articles on Canada? There is some good info in them.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; May 20th 2014 at 2:28 pm.
Old May 20th 2014, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Irishlady is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Siouxie and Neil!
Old May 20th 2014, 3:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishlady
Thanks Siouxie and Neil!
You are very welcome.

Some application forms ask you to confirm that you have the right to live/work in Canada, but that's about it.

Old May 20th 2014, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Have never been asked for either in job applications.

SIN number is necessary when one signs up for a job.

Thinking about it, I've never been asked to produce my PR card in any context other than border control/immigration matters.

S
Old May 20th 2014, 6:43 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

When my husband did up his resume, at the top under his address he wrote "Visa status: Canadian Permanent Resident". His resume said he was still working at his previous company and all his education/experience was all in the UK, so we wanted to make it obvious he had full right to work already and any immigration stuff wasn't going to be a problem. (We also put my parents address as his Canadian address, as we found putting down a UK address got him turned away pretty well immediately.)

He did have to produce his PR card when he was doing all his starting paperwork etc with the company he's with here - they needed proof of immigration status and a drivers license to complete his background checks and whatnot. So he provided both. When I started my job here i Had to provide two pieces of photo ID, so for me that was my passport and my drivers license.

Employers in all countries are required to ensure that their employees are able to work, they can't just take your word for it, so yes, expect to be asked for your PR card.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
When my husband did up his resume, at the top under his address he wrote "Visa status: Canadian Permanent Resident". His resume said he was still working at his previous company and all his education/experience was all in the UK, so we wanted to make it obvious he had full right to work already and any immigration stuff wasn't going to be a problem. (We also put my parents address as his Canadian address, as we found putting down a UK address got him turned away pretty well immediately.)

He did have to produce his PR card when he was doing all his starting paperwork etc with the company he's with here - they needed proof of immigration status and a drivers license to complete his background checks and whatnot. So he provided both. When I started my job here i Had to provide two pieces of photo ID, so for me that was my passport and my drivers license.

Employers in all countries are required to ensure that their employees are able to work, they can't just take your word for it, so yes, expect to be asked for your PR card.
All they needed to see were 2 pieces of ID though - he wouldn't have been required (legally) to produce his PR card, only his SI number - which would show he had a TWP or was a PR or Citizen anyway (you can't get one without one of them!).

A PR card is not a legal requirement to have, it's only necessary if you wish to leave Canada by air.

Old May 20th 2014, 7:54 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
All they needed to see were 2 pieces of ID though - he wouldn't have been required (legally) to produce his PR card, only his SI number - which would show he had a TWP or was a PR or Citizen anyway (you can't get one without one of them!).

A PR card is not a legal requirement to have, it's only necessary if you wish to leave Canada by air.

Ah fair enough! He was asked for it, though, but maybe he could have just instead given proof of his COPR papers or whatever as proof that he's a PR. Thanks for clarifying!
Old May 20th 2014, 7:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Ah fair enough! He was asked for it, though, but maybe he could have just instead given proof of his COPR papers or whatever as proof that he's a PR. Thanks for clarifying!
They shouldn't have asked for proof of PR status - he was under no obligation to show it unless it was a requirement to do the job (like for a Police Force or similar where you have to be a Citizen or PR holder). His SI Number was sufficient to show he was legally allowed to work in Canada.

A temporary SI Number starts with a 9 - indicating they have a TWP, other SI Numbers don't. You can't get a SI Number unless you have either a TWP, PR or are a Citizen.

I think some employers push their luck, lol!

Old May 20th 2014, 9:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You are not required to show any ID when applying for a job. A SIN is only required when you fill in a TD1 and TD1 provincial, which happens after you are hired and have started the job. A SIN should not be produced prior to that. An employer can ask if you are legally entitled to work in Canada and if you say yes, they cannot insist on proof nor should they need it. Once you start if you cannot provide a SIN for the TD1, end of story.

There are many things an employer should not do or ask prior to hiring. If they get it wrong they open themselves up to lawsuits for discrimination. e.g. someone on an IEC or PR or citizen, these are not grounds for discrimination unless the job has a very specific requirement for security or longevity.

It is such a mess, we carry insurance against such eventualities.
Old May 20th 2014, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Some (gubmint?, mostly) jobs require one to be a citizen or PR. In which case providing proof seems ok to me. As mentioned up thread, a PR card is/was intended as a travel document. I haven't read up on the law recently, but I do remember having a right old fight years ago about what exactly a PR card proves.

Otherwise, a SIN number is sufficient for employment.

Re background checks : I underwent my first one several years ago, for a volunteer role. SIN & driving license was sufficient.

I think, from reading here & elsewhere, that some are starting to equate Canadian PR cards with US Green cards.

S
Old May 20th 2014, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As stated there is no legal requirement to have a PR card while living in Canada although all new PRs since 2002 have been issued them when providing a Canadian address on landing or supplying CIC one within 180 days of landing.
It is supposed to be used when boarding a commercial carrier en route to Canada but we have all seen how that works if using a passport that doesn't require a visa
You would think that most employers know that a SIN beginning with a 9 is a temporary one. PRs are issued a permanent SIN number so there should be no mistaking your legal entitlement to work in Canada as a PR.
Old May 21st 2014, 12:40 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

We've done this one to death before, under various privacy laws an employer cannot demand anything other than the SIN, unless it's required to do the job, e.g. the job requires driving, so they can demand to see your DL.

They can request to see other ID and Service Canada encourages employers to do it, but you're under no obligation to provide it.

Everything revolves around the SIN, what I didn't realize until the other day is they actually deactivate your SIN after five years of inactivity.

Service Canada has a hotline employers can call to verify a SIN, where some bored person will type in the SIN and tell you if it matches the name they've given you essentially.
Old May 21st 2014, 12:43 am
Concierge

Okay I had it wrong! Apologies! :S