Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Apply for citizenship and then travel??

Wikiposts

Apply for citizenship and then travel??

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:38 am
Just Joined

ryanx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apply for citizenship and then travel??

Hi everyone!

I am patiently accumulating the necessary 3 years qualifying period for citizenship...from what I understand you have to wait months and months for processing etc. I want to travel the world, can I just submit the application and disappear for a year or two? Do I need a home address here or maybe even a P.O. Box? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:02 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for citizenship and then travel??

Hi

Originally Posted by ryanx
Hi everyone!

I am patiently accumulating the necessary 3 years qualifying period for citizenship...from what I understand you have to wait months and months for processing etc. I want to travel the world, can I just submit the application and disappear for a year or two? Do I need a home address here or maybe even a P.O. Box? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
1. You need a Canadian address as you would have to return for the exam and the ceremony. PO box is probably not acceptable.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:18 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Hi everyone!

Thanks
We applied in May 2006 and now only got the test date. I would have a postal address of a friend who can let you know what is happening and then travel. Be warned though we have just been given 2 weeks notice of the test so make sure you are not on top of mount everest when you get your letter!!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 4:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
We applied in May 2006 and now only got the test date. I would have a postal address of a friend who can let you know what is happening and then travel. Be warned though we have just been given 2 weeks notice of the test so make sure you are not on top of mount everest when you get your letter!!
When we went for our citizenship test (in 2003) they asked us how many days we had spent outside Canada in the last three years. I would check on the implications of traveling before you head off abroad.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:05 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone!

Thanks
There is nothing to stop you doing that, except that notice of the test and swearing in, and any other interview they might deem necessary is sent by mail to your Canadian address, and the notice given to appear is usually only a couple of weeks at best. If you cant make the test or swearing in, then you jeapordise the whole process. If you ask me, its not worth swanning off for a year or two until after you get your canadian citizenship. Usually that takes 6 month to a year from start to finish.