Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Apple74's questions about Nova Scotia

Apple74's questions about Nova Scotia

Old May 9th 2020, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apple74's questions about Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by MillieF
I didn’t think that the weather was going to be a real issue for me either, and I threw myself into my first winter with gusto, tried cross country skiing, snow shoeing...the lot, I shoveled with the best of them...but after my first year I had a horrible light bulb moment when I thought ‘oh God, it’s going to snow next winter too’. In Atlantic Canada it’s always a matter of when, not if. It’s snowing fit to bust right now, which is, thankfully, unusual in May. But winter can start in October and you don’t see the ground again till late April and my neighbours swear you can’t plant anything till 1st June.

That can affect the psyche, it’s just non stop, relentless. I think I am coping with it better now, but there was a three year period when I was severely depressed and anxious whenever it snowed...which was practically every other day for six months. Whilst we are all more home bound, watch Fargo, both the film and the serial if you can, I think it portrays the daily bleakness that is the reality of this weather system. I’m not being negative, I like living here now, as a family it has been good to us. It’s just that the weather is not a bit like anything English - this place is weather on steroids and it can adversely affect you, even when you least suspect it.

Best of luck
start of the year is the worst. Any thaw in January just means the ice is smoothed out so it’s even more treacherous under the next fall of snow. Trails are unusable once this happens, even if they aren’t already having been tramped down by anyone else who uses them so there’s no grip and you’re stuck with walking the dog on icy gritty salty roads with snow banks on either side. Then there’s the constant sweeping up of grit, backache from walking carefully on ice risking death getting into and out of the house/school/wherever passing under lethal icicles knowing that when the snow eventually (mostly goes) you’ll be staring at dead leaves and bare branches until late May at least. And I only live in Ontario...
Old May 10th 2020, 12:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
start of the year is the worst. Any thaw in January just means the ice is smoothed out so it’s even more treacherous under the next fall of snow. Trails are unusable once this happens, even if they aren’t already having been tramped down by anyone else who uses them so there’s no grip and you’re stuck with walking the dog on icy gritty salty roads with snow banks on either side. Then there’s the constant sweeping up of grit, backache from walking carefully on ice risking death getting into and out of the house/school/wherever passing under lethal icicles knowing that when the snow eventually (mostly goes) you’ll be staring at dead leaves and bare branches until late May at least. And I only live in Ontario...
Last month I bought a convertible to use through the summer. Today it told me that the roads are icy and heated the steering wheel for me. May is hell.
Old May 11th 2020, 7:13 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Last month I bought a convertible to use through the summer. Today it told me that the roads are icy and heated the steering wheel for me. May is hell.
Saturday, Queuing up outside the Liquor store to pick up my preordered booze, I was grateful for the home made three layered mask my wife made for me (to reference another thread) as it provided some badly needed protection against the biting wind and cold. Yesterday it was so bloody windy and cold the dogs didn't get walked. Today is a balmy 10C. A week ago it was +20C briefly. 10 years ago I was mowing the lawn on this day. May is variable. And hell. Spring arrives here in June if we are lucky.
Old May 11th 2020, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the Valley in NS and don’t find the winters that bad, maybe this part is slightly more sheltered than Halifax. Yeah you can get extremes like 10 degrees and sunny one day to -20 and snow the next but it’s not really a big deal, people just get on with it. We don’t have constant snow on the ground all winter either as the weather is always changing, I’ve been here 4years and haven’t yet experienced a white Christmas 😩

I would take NS winters over boring, grey, rainy UK winters any day. I do miss a proper spring though, winter does like to keep rearing it’s head through April and May.