Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Apartment rental query - sending money

Apartment rental query - sending money

Old Apr 9th 2019, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Apartment rental query - sending money

I am moving to Vancouver in a few weeks and in discussion to rent a place. A good friend checked the place out so I am happy to move procees. I completed an application form and provided my Equifax credit score. The property manager has now asked me to send money (first month plus deposit) via email transfer. Should there not be some sort of agreement outlining rental terms etc. in place before sending money ? The process feels very informal and not sure what protection I have. Is this the normal?
Old Apr 9th 2019, 9:13 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apartment rental query - sending money

Originally Posted by UKexpat82
I am moving to Vancouver in a few weeks and in discussion to rent a place. A good friend checked the place out so I am happy to move procees. I completed an application form and provided my Equifax credit score. The property manager has now asked me to send money (first month plus deposit) via email transfer. Should there not be some sort of agreement outlining rental terms etc. in place before sending money ? The process feels very informal and not sure what protection I have. Is this the normal?
I personally would not transfer money to someone for a place I have not seen. Is it a private landlord, a company, someone subletting?

There will be orher places in Vancouver that you can actually look at before handing $$ over. If you need a recommendation for a really nice AirBNB I have srayed at let me know. I would stay somewhere like that first while you look.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, my friend viewed the place and I trust their opinion. It’s just the lack of agreement that is concerning. It’s through a company but the website is out of order which is a red flag for me.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, my friend viewed the place and I trust their opinion. It’s just the lack of agreement that is concerning. It’s through a company but the website is out of order which is a red flag for me.
I have a quite a high tolerance for internet shopping risk. For example, I bought a car without seeing it by wire transferring over fifty grand US to someone I didn't know. I would not touch this. City notorious for rental scams, company with no website, nah.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's nowhere near normal. Don't walk, run!
Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have a quite a high tolerance for internet shopping risk. For example, I bought a car without seeing it by wire transferring over fifty grand US to someone I didn't know. I would not touch this.
As someone who's very risk adverse in financial matters, it's impossible not to admire your chutzpah!
Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
As someone who's very risk adverse in financial matters, it's impossible not to admire your chutzpah!
Fifty grand is, btw, a lot of money for me. I don't have another fifty grand. At the bank they fetched a senior fellow to point out that once the money is sent there's no getting it back. You have to have a lot of confidence before wiring and, for me, that means everything I can check has to check out. In this case the broken website is enough to chase me away. There will always be another apartment and it's always a better idea to be nearby before signing up for a year or more. Maybe the friend has different tastes and genuinely wouldn't realize that, for example, living over a 24 hour Chinese take away wouldn't suit.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:58 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by dbd33
Fifty grand is, btw, a lot of money for me. I don't have another fifty grand. At the bank they fetched a senior fellow to point out that once the money is sent there's no getting it back. You have to have a lot of confidence before wiring and, for me, that means everything I can check has to check out. In this case the broken website is enough to chase me away. There will always be another apartment and it's always a better idea to be nearby before signing up for a year or more. Maybe the friend has different tastes and genuinely wouldn't realize that, for example, living over a 24 hour Chinese take away wouldn't suit.
You were obviously very confident and I'm glad it worked out for you. I lost over 100,000 pounds in a property acquisition gone wrong (for me, it went right for the developer!) in the UK. It was a hard blow and it still hurts
Old Apr 9th 2019, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

this is illegal in BC and called ‘key fees’. No many can change hands until keys to the property and the signed rental agreement change hands.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 1:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...it's impossible not to admire your chutzpah!
Have you seen it under his kilt?

(reference to another thread for others puzzled)

Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:36 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Have you seen it under his kilt?

(reference to another thread for others puzzled)
You're a terrible man!
Old Apr 9th 2019, 3:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

You were obviously very confident and I'm glad it worked out for you. I lost over 100,000 pounds in a property acquisition gone wrong (for me, it went right for the developer!) in the UK. It was a hard blow and it still hurts
Ow! I still simmer with resentment over a book that never came ten years ago; it probably cost $20.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 4:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Do not send any money and certainly never hand money over without a signed contract and after inspecting the property prior to moving in - i.e. to ascertain if any repairs are required - so you don't get dinged for damage you didn't cause if you move out! (read the tenancy rules in the links) .
BC Landlord and Tenant Resources - Resource for BC Tenants

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...ting-a-tenancy
Old Apr 11th 2019, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Get an Airbnb for a month while you look for a place when you arrive. Never send money without a written contract.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the comments. Did as suggested And now got an Airbnb for a month.