Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Apartment Hunting

Apartment Hunting

Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice
Default Apartment Hunting

I am looking to land in Dec, just wondering how many people have been able to sort out an apartment from the UK prior to arriving?

Heading to Vancouver, would prefer Downtown or Kits, in case that has any impact.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

bikeguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Apartment Hunting

Originally Posted by ga1lf View Post
I am looking to land in Dec, just wondering how many people have been able to sort out an apartment from the UK prior to arriving?

Heading to Vancouver, would prefer Downtown or Kits, in case that has any impact.
http://www.rentbc.com/vancouver_apartments.html that should help you find an apartment.

also speak to relocate2bc http://www.relocation2bc.com/index.htm they move a few years ago and help people move in there free time
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Probably better to spend a week or two in a hotel and rent a place you have actually seen in the flesh... Good if you can line up some places to look at in advance though I guess.

Dont forget craigslist too.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

Been viewing craigslist constantly, last month I came across the perfect apartment for me but it was too early for me to move and has since been snapped up!

I am booking into a hotel but would like to get viewing as soon as possible. When you arrive, can you supply a hotel address for your PR card?
Old Nov 19th 2009, 6:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Been viewing craigslist constantly, last month I came across the perfect apartment for me but it was too early for me to move and has since been snapped up!

I am booking into a hotel but would like to get viewing as soon as possible. When you arrive, can you supply a hotel address for your PR card?
You dont need to supply an address at the time of entry, you have 6 months to give them an address on the cic website before they will require you to re apply for the PR card.

Trust me, you are not the first person to arrive without a fixed address, thats why you can do it that way.

https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/?app=coa&lang=en

Last edited by iaink; Nov 19th 2009 at 6:25 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 6:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
Probably better to spend a week or two in a hotel and rent a place you have actually seen in the flesh...
This is very good advice. You can also just walk the neighborhoods and look for "for rent" signs.

The good places go quickly - which s another good reason to be here while you are looking.

I wouldn't do this. You will likely have left the hotel before the card arrives and there is no guarantee that whoever opens the mail at the hotel will forward it to you.

When you land tell the immigration officer you don't have a fixed address yet. You have up to six months to give them a mailing address.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

qverq is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
i have the same situation like you. did u find finally apt in Vancouver? where did u find? please reply
regards
veronica

Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by qverq View Post
hi
i have the same situation like you. did u find finally apt in Vancouver? where did u find? please reply
regards
veronica
Its only been 6 hours!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qverq View Post
hi
regards
veronica
I have been looking on various sites and have sent a few enquiry emails off but nothing back yet. I will be staying in a hotel for just over 2 weeks, so it may need to wait until I have arrived.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

qverq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wish you good luck

hi
I'm sorry for this situation can imagine is very hard
how much you pay for the hotel?
where is the hotel located in Vancouver.

wish you to find soon apt.
regards
I have been looking on various sites and have sent a few enquiry emails off but nothing back yet. I will be staying in a hotel for just over 2 weeks, so it may need to wait until I have arrived.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

anona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the rough

Look at kijiji too. BUT, beware of scam artists!! I almost became the victim, fortunately, the owners of the house i'm renting right now are cops so I got my money back.