Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anything negative to say about Nova Scotia

Anything negative to say about Nova Scotia

Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:45 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anything negative to say about Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by riosangel
I am looking for to get away from yob culture, too much traffic and the doom and gloom of the UK. I want more opportunities and a better life for my children. However, reading this thread about poverty, unemployment and inbreeding it sounds better to stay where I am.
Don't panic about the inbreeding thats Newfoundland (and possibly Alberta)
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If you are moving to somewhere, are you not alleviating the in-breeding in some small way anyway

I'd say there is perhaps some element of inbreeding, nepotism and whoyouknowism in most of "small town canada", its not exclusive to any provinces in particular.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:50 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If you are moving to somewhere, are you not alleviating the in-breeding in some small way anyway

I'd say there is perhaps some element of inbreeding, nepotism and whoyouknowism in most of "small town canada", its not exclusive to any provinces in particular.
Living in Dorset for 20 years,you are not welcome to move here unless you are related to yourself in at least 3 different ways.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

guccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant future

One man's pain is another man's pleasure - a visit will be the only thing that confirms whether other peoples opinions of what's negative is yours

If you ask only for negatives, it is human nature that folk will try to redress the balance by giving you the positives too
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:54 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking for to get away from yob culture, too much traffic and the doom and gloom of the UK. I want more opportunities and a better life for my children. However, reading this thread about poverty, unemployment and inbreeding it sounds better to stay where I am.
I didnt recall anyone mentioning inbreeding? The poverty and unemployment bit was mentioned by dbd33 and nobody takes any notice of him!

You will certainly get away from yob culture, traffic and doom and gloom here. Kids are really polite and respectfull in my experience (hold doors open for you when you go out somewhere etc) and if you want to find out about traffic try listening to a Halifax radio station traffic news via the web during rush hour in the morning - typically they dont have anything to report!

I think NS is a fantastic place and people here are generally very friendly and happy. I personally have found it a wonderful place to raise a family. But you really do have to go to know if its somewhere you want to live. I would never advocate moving to somewhere without checking it out properly first.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:02 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I didnt recall anyone mentioning inbreeding? The poverty and unemployment bit was mentioned by dbd33 and nobody takes any notice of him!
Trust me, I do

So, are you saying the maritimes are poverty and unemployment free? That flies in the face of everything I have read and seen on the nature of the "Pogie culture" there in my time in Ontario.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

sasch017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Negatives: rain - lots of it, HEAP BIG SNOW in winter, OTT Celtic/Gaelic slant on things, tourists and lots of em, property taxes within Halifax, (some)lower wages than other places in Canada.
Positives: very green and fruitful (literally!), great outdoorsy culture, relaxed feel to the province, beautiful summers & snowy winters, quaint touristy places with unique history.

To summarise: it's a great place... sort of like stepping back in time to when things were simpler, and you could trust your neighbours...

We are leaving the UK for these very reasons... I want our daughter to grow up feeling safe and have a relatively carefree childhood, as it should be.

I found this article in the TIMES to be helpful...

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle4308144.ece
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:59 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrmani
You seem to be the only from NS commenting, surely there something good
Oh I Love NS - I am sure there are negatives to living here...I just haven't found any really to speak of yet!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:05 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasch017
Negatives: rain - lots of it, HEAP BIG SNOW in winter, OTT Celtic/Gaelic slant on things, tourists and lots of em, property taxes within Halifax, (some)lower wages than other places in Canada.
Positives: very green and fruitful (literally!), great outdoorsy culture, relaxed feel to the province, beautiful summers & snowy winters, quaint touristy places with unique history.

To summarise: it's a great place... sort of like stepping back in time to when things were simpler, and you could trust your neighbours...

We are leaving the UK for these very reasons... I want our daughter to grow up feeling safe and have a relatively carefree childhood, as it should be.

I found this article in the TIMES to be helpful...

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle4308144.ece
I would have to disagree with the loads of rain and big heaps of snow...it depends WHERE in NS you are whether you get lots of rain or not much rain and not much snow and heaps of snow.

And lets be honest, if your from the UK anything more than a dusting of snow is HEAPS!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Don't panic about the inbreeding thats Newfoundland (and possibly Alberta)
And here. There's a definite look to the locals.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Kids are really polite and respectfull in my experience (hold doors open for you when you go out somewhere etc)
They do here too but, in keeping with most of rural Canada, they do alarming quantities of drugs. Weed, of course, but I don't count that. Meth and, down east, oxycontin are the big worries.

I like NS, btw, a bit like Cornwall it's a great place for a vacation but too slow for me to be there year round. Our neighbours here are from there, like so many they moved up looking for work years ago. They still have 15 acres on the North Shore, sea view, no services, he once offered it as a swap for my tractor which made me wonder about the price of some properties linked to from here.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The only negative things I would have to say about the Maritimes in general is that they can get way too much snow way to often for my taste, and perhaps they have a reputation, deserved or not, of being a bit on the unsophisticated/ rustic side of things...
Very true about the snow...but speaking for this part, it's coped with and doesn't stop life continuing.

The thing with reputations of course is that they are exaggerated. Not everyone in Ontario thinks the world revolves around them.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Greenstriper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I totally agree that you either love it or hate it, and will not know until you do a recce there - we went back in 2005 just after we applied via the skilled worker route, and both loathed it!

I thought it would be fabulous - beautiful scenery, friendly people, lots to do, all that coastline etc - whatever people say, it is not like Cornwall (nothing like as nice), we were insulted to visit a place that considered themselves to be so fabulously celtic and more scottish than scotland (I am scottish) - to be fair, this was probably just Cape Breton and their malt whisky place - everything is on the main road and there is a lot of obvious poverty and toothless banjo playing types (really not my cup of tea).

I don't mean to insult anybody who lives in NS - it's all about horses for courses afterall. You did ask for negative points, hence why I have told you.

If you ask for positives, I will try very hard to come up with something - oh, I know, the houses are cheap!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:18 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I've been there a few times and always enjoyed it. I never saw anything resembling toothless, banjo playing types but I do agree, comparisons to Cornwall and Scotland are far-fetched. In Canada almost everything is on the main road. Probably to do with the country's young age and the pioneer/settlement process.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:31 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I am also looking into NS and NB and am beginning to wish that I had never read this thread
Don't be silly. The thread was specifically inviting people to make any negative comments they could think of about NS.

I'm sure if another thread was made asking for positives it'd be at least as long ... or maybe it wouldn't.

The main point you CAN take from this thread is that it is "horses for courses"

I think it's really daft for anyone to complain about another's comments on here .... opinions asked for and got!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.