Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anything negative to say about Nova Scotia

Anything negative to say about Nova Scotia

Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anything negative to say about Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Flogger
Google is telling me he was a operatic conductor!
Am i showing my tender years here?
BTW should you not be cooking your lamb tonight?
As it goes, he predates even me.

Rack of lamb in the oven as I type, rest of lamb in freezer, save the head which is in the dog. (The dog seemed confused by it so, for a moment, I thought it would be a banquet for the chickens but then he reverted to type and now it's gone). Pig coming in a fortnight, btw, supply is not a problem but funding is!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:43 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

I'm following this thread with interest.

Ive never been to NS but the NS PNP seems an easy plan B to get into Canada. From what Ive heard (a friend's mum was born there) and what Ive read online, it seems an OK place.

We hope to check it out on our next visit.

M.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:56 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
As it goes, he predates even me.

Rack of lamb in the oven as I type, rest of lamb in freezer, save the head which is in the dog. (The dog seemed confused by it so, for a moment, I thought it would be a banquet for the chickens but then he reverted to type and now it's gone). Pig coming in a fortnight, btw, supply is not a problem but funding is!
As would be room in the freezer.
Btw struggling to picture any dog knawing on a lambs head.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
As would be room in the freezer.
Btw struggling to picture any dog knawing on a lambs head.
We're good for freezer space. The restaurant next to the office went bust just as we moved to the country, I gave the owner cash for her three chest freezers slightly in advance of the bailiffs moving in.

Revolting pictures will, I suppose, be available shortly.

Rack resting now, looks wonderful. Anna's parents are eating tonight at Bouchon, one of the restaurants in Vegas I rather like, but they've cause to be envious of us!

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 31st 2009 at 11:08 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:03 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We're good for freezer space. The restaurant next to the office went bust just as we moved to the country, I gave the owner cash for her three chest freezers slightly in advance of the bailiffs moving in.

Revolting pictures will, I suppose, be available shortly.
Can't wait
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

To be fair, M2C stayed in NS about five minutes and just moaned about the rental place and the cost of chicken!! But the list of good and bad did make me laugh.

We have been in rural NS for 7 months now, and we have found the local people to be some of the most friendly and welcoming ever. We go to their houses, go to the pub or parties with them and because we made an effort to fit in we have been accepted totally. We have also met a few other expats who we also get along great with. So we love NS, for its scenery, its people and its attitude.

We have experienced no crime, although I believe a neighbours live trap was stolen about a year ago, and the locals still mutter about it! Cars and house doors are left unlocked without a thought.

Negatives, well the roads are indeed getting worse as the weather ruins them, but when there are only five cars on the motorway you have the opportunity to avoid the holes- not bumper to tail!

There are quite a few power cuts around here, I think we have had six since November but that might be because we are quite rural - they are usually fixed within an hour or two.

I am sure there is a drug problem around here like the rest of Canada, but our circle of friends prefer wine and beer and I have never seen any drugs whilst out. I guess because our friends mostly have young kids and have a small town responsibility attitude, drugs don't feature on their agenda. That suits me perfectly.

If you like to buy "stuff", which we don't particularly, you often have to drive to the city to get a good choice. I say city tongue in cheek, I would call it more of a big town, but we wanted to be away from the "delights"of Manchester, and so this is to some extent our Utopia!

Overall, NS rocks!!!!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Anything negative to say about Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by mrmani
Hi Everybody

My wife and I are looking into immigrating and were just wondering if anybody has anything negative to say about Nova Scotia, also opinions on Nova Scotia versus New Brunswick. Haven't been out for a reccie yet?

Thanks for response in advance.
hi Mrmani,

we were over in Nova Scotia in August/september 2008. It depends what you're looking for. Nova Scotia is lovely. The people are generally very friendly, and many of the residents originate from Scotland and Ireland, so it has strong Celtic roots. Most careers are paid less than in other parts of Canada but it's balanced out by the cost of living, house prices, etc. If you're looking for a slower pace of life, and good work/ home balance it might be what you're looking for. A friend of mine is moving from Nova Scotia to New Brunswick so I'll ask her to post a comment!

Good luck with your venture
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiba
A friend of mine is moving from Nova Scotia to New Brunswick so I'll ask her to post a comment!
We expect to be going the other way. Not from choice but I'm not worried about anything.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:41 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
To be fair, M2C stayed in NS about five minutes and just moaned about the rental place and the cost of chicken!! But the list of good and bad did make me laugh.

We have been in rural NS for 7 months now, and we have found the local people to be some of the most friendly and welcoming ever. We go to their houses, go to the pub or parties with them and because we made an effort to fit in we have been accepted totally. We have also met a few other expats who we also get along great with. So we love NS, for its scenery, its people and its attitude.

We have experienced no crime, although I believe a neighbours live trap was stolen about a year ago, and the locals still mutter about it! Cars and house doors are left unlocked without a thought.

Negatives, well the roads are indeed getting worse as the weather ruins them, but when there are only five cars on the motorway you have the opportunity to avoid the holes- not bumper to tail!

There are quite a few power cuts around here, I think we have had six since November but that might be because we are quite rural - they are usually fixed within an hour or two.

I am sure there is a drug problem around here like the rest of Canada, but our circle of friends prefer wine and beer and I have never seen any drugs whilst out. I guess because our friends mostly have young kids and have a small town responsibility attitude, drugs don't feature on their agenda. That suits me perfectly.

If you like to buy "stuff", which we don't particularly, you often have to drive to the city to get a good choice. I say city tongue in cheek, I would call it more of a big town, but we wanted to be away from the "delights"of Manchester, and so this is to some extent our Utopia!

Overall, NS rocks!!!!

Good on yer! Seriously - M2C.............................words fail me, after I stopped laughing that is!

NS cant be summed up by your observations of grocery shopping and trawling around Halifax hoping people would talk to you in bars. Halifax itself is full of urban issues that are usual to any small city that is flooded with Students and the usual mix of humanity. You were walking in the wrong streets if you seriously saw someone doing drugs on the street There are homeless people here and some may have addiction issues..............who said that NS would be perfect?

As for milk in bags - you needed to get out more. I have lived in NZ and let me tell you, they have bagged milk too......but they have even less choice in the supermarket - out of interest what meal can you knock up from scratch at home with a pigs head and some trotters? Had you looked further or thought more about it, you could have purchased countless familiar cartons of milk. I have never needed to by a bag of milk yet

Nope, you're right. Forget the stunning scenery of all 4 seasons (which you missed), the beaches, the lakes for skating on in the winter and the winter sun etc etc etc.............................bags of milk would send me over the edge and back to the UK too.

What people like you need to realise is that emigrating isnt about finding a better solution to what you have. That rather assumes, as you clearly have, that all you know and are accustomed to is common to every nation. When you come across new or unfamiliar alternatives, having a knee jerk reaction of running home to grimy terraces of grey houses and all that the UK holds for you, is very churlish.

Some people arent designed to travel, to assimilate with other cultures, value who they are culturally whilst giving the new culture time to show itself so it can be embraced. M2C - from my POV, you had a bad holiday and you didnt have terribly valid reasons to castigate NS.

Yes, yes, for those that want to sympathise, yes, it is better to know that a choice is right or wrong for you, yes. But a month? After years of planning and research? Is it NS at fault or your unrealistic expectations? Either way, I would rather find less superficial reasons for rejecting a place and then banging on about it.

By the way...........Nova Scotia is a Province, therefore it would be provincial. However, I liked you using that as a negative description, it reminded me of the 18th century snobbery regarding anything that came from outside of London. It totally sums up the mentality of people who want to refind a better UK in other countries.

Enjoy grimy UK. I and countless others love NS.

To the OP, I cant tell you of any real negatives, except the cost of flights to and from the UK. NS is everything we need it to be. And WE have managed to live here for a year, and 4 years prior to that in New Zealand. All anyone can suggest is come for yourselves.

Last edited by Poppy2; Feb 2nd 2009 at 11:44 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:31 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moosey2canada
Ok I feel i can comment here since i came to NS and legged it back to the UK after a month citing irreconcilable differences.
Pro's
1. Not far from halifax to a gorgeous white sand beach
2. As long as you stay within the city limits the buses are good
3. It's pretty
4. Lobster is out of this world (you have to be able to look your lunch in the face though while its looking back and deal with the fact youre sentancing it to death)
5. The boardwalk around Halifax marina has a wild north american otter living under it
6. There is a fascinating array of ships coming and going every day
7. The is an icecream shop called sugar that mix cake into your ice cream (or nuts or chocolate bits or anything you want really)
8. The park in the center of halifax is gorgeous
9. On weekends a macdonalds van gives free coffee (sometimes breakfast too) outside the park (good news for the people who live on the street and those of us who worry if theyre getting a warm drink and maybe something to eat)
10. Just to make it an even number....Tims raspberry wholewheat muffin yuuummmmmmm

Cons
1. Provincial
2. Loads of homeless people
3. Cost of living is expensive (in my opinion) except beef and salmon
4. Everything is miles away i.e. the decent cinema is up the motorway out of town.
5. A bit lacking in depth
6. The weather Hurricanes are very scary
7. Not really much there
8. The nova scotians don't want you there and won't talk to you in bars
9. If you smoke get ready to be bankrupt in a month or so oh and frowned upon - frequently
10. Beer is pants
11. needle bins everywhere and i saw someone taking drugs in the street (never seen THAT in the uk) proliferation of needle bins suggests wider problem than anyone is willing to conceed on here
12. Milk comes in plastic bags and tastes unsurprisingly like plastic bags
13. You can buy seven types of prepared carrot but only one type of unpeeled and looks like a carrot, carrot.
14. Supermarkets are lacking in choice and are a bit dull compared to tesco
15. Any brits you meet are part of the expat community and are integrating themselves so well they won't talk to you either (unless they think they can recruit you to the Canada is Utopia club, mention anything you dont like and they jump all over you like you just said that you are in full support of cloning hitler and resurrecting the nazi regime)
16. Bars are a bit pants - no one claps for anyone at the KAREOKE
17. The only place to get curry is the Taj Mahal - and it ain't that good
18. Foods are basic- to be made at home from scratch, no real choice of anything ready made
19. It gets bloody cold
20. The roads are crap - huge holes everywhere
21. The trains are truly the worst 1 a day from halifax has one other stop on the border of NS and it can be anything up to 2/3 hrs late (it doesnt come until 1245pm)
22. the buses are rubbish outside the city so if you no drive you no go
23. The airport going in is fab and modern but coming out is resembles pre revolution Russia
I hope you enjoy reading this and that it gives you a giggle some things are written tongue in cheek but have basis in fact others are just bald fact - oh and watch out for the seagulls in halifax marina they will steal your beaver tail(pastry type desert with icing and nuts and stuff on - yum) before you've even paid for it!
Honestly if you want to know what its like go have a look, its a four and a half hour flight from LHR but what i hated you may love but if YOU dont go YOU don't know!
I have to say...most of that is rubbish really
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Diefenbaker is on a distinguished road

I'm in NS at the moment. It's my second time out here and I'm here to sit the Canadian Registered Nurse Exam on Wednesday. I came out last week to see some friends that I made on my first trip, in Springhill and had a lovely time with them as the are so friendly and welcoming and that goes for the new people I met as well. I stayed in Truro which isn't a bad sized town and seems to have most day to day things that you'd need.
Before coming here I e-mailed the HR manager at the local hospital to ask if I could talk to him informally and he replied by telling me to send him my resume as he would interview me for a job, which he did today and told me straight away that I'd got it ( Thanks for the useful wiki articles). Sorry I'm rambling now, but I've only got positive things to say about the province, although I've only been here for a couple of weeks. I would definately recommend a visit and even the flights are quite reasonable, mine was £350 and if you bid for a room in Halifax through priceline.co.uk you might get the Marriott Harbourfront for £38 a night, as I did 16 months ago.
Good luck with your decision.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Ooh Diefenbaker, where did you get your flights from? Some friends of mine are going to book in the next week or so to come and see us end of May, and they are being quoted 550 pounds each!!

Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:30 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh Diefenbaker, where did you get your flights from? Some friends of mine are going to book in the next week or so to come and see us end of May, and they are being quoted 550 pounds each!!

Thanks!
I have seen return flights through Canadian Affair in May for around £380 return These seems to go up and down daily at the moment
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Diefenbaker is on a distinguished road

Thanks!
Hi, as Nikki points out, you just need to check the websites almost daily. I got my flights with Air Canada during one of their sales but even when the sale finished they were stil around the $360-$420 mark, but they were hardly ever the same 2 days running. At the moment they are the only airline flying direct from London to Halifax but come spring Air Transat will resume their flights so I would have thought the competition would make AC lower theirs. Just keep checking and good luck.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:25 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Emmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud of

I have to agree with Amy David and some of the other threads.

I thnk Nova Scotia is "practically perfect in every way" to qoute a line from a well known movie.

I am not there yet and am still trying to make the decision on whether or not to go!, mainly because of being on my own and moving away from family, which is another story

However, i have been out there on vacation x 4 times and a reccie x 1 and absolutely love this place, fell in love with this place the first time i went there and have loved it ever since. I think Halifax is fantastic and I love the South shore, the North shore, the East shore, the Valley and Cape Breton too. It probably has it's bad areas, (Gottingham Street in Halifax, springs to mind) but so has the UK and most other countries and a lot worse too!!!. You just have to take the good with the bad and accept that nothing, no one and nowhere is completely perfect, but IMHO, Nova Scotia comes pretty damn close

Emmjay