Reload this Page >

Anything like M & S??

Wikiposts

Anything like M & S??

Old Jul 3rd 2005, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

pat12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anything like M & S??

Is there any shop remotely like M & S' food market in Vancouver? i.e. select quality, good ready meals etc. Although the supermarkets here are huge e.g. Superstore, they seem to lack something.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 2:18 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anything like M & S??

Originally Posted by m_pather
Is there any shop remotely like M & S' food market in Vancouver? i.e. select quality, good ready meals etc. Although the supermarkets here are huge e.g. Superstore, they seem to lack something.

remotely like it could be the IGA stores. Bit more upmarket, a bit pricey, but still not the full range of ready meals you might be used to.

Superstore is foul (BAD customer service for starters) and I avoid shopping there.

Clare
Old Jul 4th 2005, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

pat12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ClareBC
remotely like it could be the IGA stores. Bit more upmarket, a bit pricey, but still not the full range of ready meals you might be used to.

Superstore is foul (BAD customer service for starters) and I avoid shopping there.

Clare
Thank you for the info, I thought my bad experiences at Superstore were unique! I heard that Canadians were meant to be friendly before I got here, clearly that excludes those working at Superstore!
Old Jul 4th 2005, 11:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m_pather
Thank you for the info, I thought my bad experiences at Superstore were unique! I heard that Canadians were meant to be friendly before I got here, clearly that excludes those working at Superstore!
They're converting Maple Leaf Gardens (an old hockey rink near here) into a Superstore. The team that played there stank for the last thirty years or so they were there. Can I expect the produce to be any better ?
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:37 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
They're converting Maple Leaf Gardens (an old hockey rink near here) into a Superstore. The team that played there stank for the last thirty years or so they were there. Can I expect the produce to be any better ?
Wow. This I did not know. Are the Leafs fans crying?

m_pather, ready meals are not as popular on the west coast as they're are in Britain. Besides, for the price of a ready meal, you can get excellent take-away.

I'm not from Vancouver and don't know the shops there but generally the 'ready meals' that exist in BC are generally frozen and so in the freezer section of grocery stores. But you can find a lot of convenience food in local delis or the deli section of a decent grocery store (ready made sushi, lasagnas, cabbage rolls, etc). If you are near one of the few "Thrifty Foods" on the mainland their deli section and frozen food selection is great, IMO (if the mainland ones are similar to the ones on the Island).
Old Jul 5th 2005, 2:06 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ClareBC

Clare
IGA is a funny beast. It's a franchise operation (the stores are all independently owned and operated) and are thus variable in quality. The ones in Quebec are supplied by Sobeys, a major grocery chain that just happens to own IGA.

They're not the only ones at it. You've got Loblaws/Fortino/Provigo, Metro/Loeb etc etc. No wonder they all look the same.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 2:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Not that I know of, I just saw the signs on the building announcing that the store's coming.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
There was a movement to try and save it which flopped, so yes a certain group of old guard fans are not very happy about it at all. The property downtown is just too valuable to leave empty as a shrine basically.