British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Anyone working in IT/Financial services in Halifax area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-working-financial-services-halifax-area-930737/)

Winterdiva Jan 30th 2020 10:16 am

Anyone working in IT/Financial services in Halifax area?

Is there anyone here working in IT/Financial services in Halifax area , NS ? I'm keen on understanding how the job market is - particularly for new comers without Canadian experience.
Also, any relevant advice is gratefully received !!

dbd33 Jan 30th 2020 12:05 pm

Re: Anyone working in IT/Financial services in Halifax area?

Yesterday a pimp asked me, for the first time ever, if candidates for a position had to have "Canadian Experience". I asked her what it was. Her answer was roughly "whatever you want it to be, big boy", because that's what people in her business always say. I then asked what she thought people who wanted it thought it was and she didn't answer that either.

When she'd gone my colleague in the recruitment search, who like me is a contractor and a sometime pimp who has been about a bit, suggested it is "something we can use to decline people we don't want, we can always change the scope of the geography". I think this is right, it's not something people have or don't have that is considered when recruiting, it's just a way to avoid hiring people that avoids having to say why you don't want to hire them. One might say that it would benefit the candidate to be told "we didn't hire you because you transparently lied about your experience, you were late and your breath stinks" but that opens the door to both litigation and the person returning with clean teeth and lingering in a bothersome manner.

The OP on this thread needs to find the posts from the IT manager who moved from the UK to Halifax then to Toronto then went home, name forgotten. Husband was a car salesman, searching on "Porsche Store" should get you there.

Tumbling_Dice Jan 30th 2020 4:14 pm

Are you talking about financial services IT or advice/management? I am a financial planner in Halifax so may be able to answer questions.

Winterdiva Jan 31st 2020 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice (Post 12798652)
Are you talking about financial services IT or advice/management? I am a financial planner in Halifax so may be able to answer questions.

Financial services IT :)
Nice to hear from you, we might need your services once we move there and settle down !!

Winterdiva Jan 31st 2020 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12798504)
Yesterday a pimp asked me, for the first time ever, if candidates for a position had to have "Canadian Experience". I asked her what it was. Her answer was roughly "whatever you want it to be, big boy", because that's what people in her business always say. I then asked what she thought people who wanted it thought it was and she didn't answer that either.

When she'd gone my colleague in the recruitment search, who like me is a contractor and a sometime pimp who has been about a bit, suggested it is "something we can use to decline people we don't want, we can always change the scope of the geography". I think this is right, it's not something people have or don't have that is considered when recruiting, it's just a way to avoid hiring people that avoids having to say why you don't want to hire them. One might say that it would benefit the candidate to be told "we didn't hire you because you transparently lied about your experience, you were late and your breath stinks" but that opens the door to both litigation and the person returning with clean teeth and lingering in a bothersome manner.

The OP on this thread needs to find the posts from the IT manager who moved from the UK to Halifax then to Toronto then went home, name forgotten. Husband was a car salesman, searching on "Porsche Store" should get you there.

Tuppence?

dbd33 Jan 31st 2020 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Winterdiva (Post 12799125)
Tuppence?

That's the one. Whole history was/is on here; enthusiasm for Halifax, disillusion, relocation to place with multiple computer installations (GTA), despair, return home. YMMV but there's useful stuff in that history.

Tuppence Mar 2nd 2020 1:02 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12799213)
That's the one. Whole history was/is on here; enthusiasm for Halifax, disillusion, relocation to place with multiple computer installations (GTA), despair, return home. YMMV but there's useful stuff in that history.

Hello :)
Fire away with questions. Happy to help. Lasted 11 months in the UK in 2015, now settled back by the lake in Mississauga.

dbd33 Mar 2nd 2020 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Tuppence (Post 12814443)
Fire away with questions. Happy to help. Lasted 11 months in the UK in 2015, now settled back by the lake in Mississauga.

Did you keep your, freshly renovated, Mississauga house when you went back to the UK or did you have to buy another one?

Tuppence Mar 2nd 2020 2:03 am

Bought another one. Sold up expecting to be permanently in the UK, tried to buy one there but got screwed with the verbal system. So said bollocks to the whole thing and got our realtor to find us something near our old place. Bought it unseen, and it worked out great (near the marsh). Probably on the move again in about 8-10 years once school is done for the sprog. Likely Vancouver Island with winter somewhere warm in the US.

Atlantic Xpat Mar 2nd 2020 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Tuppence (Post 12814443)

Blimey! Look who’s’ back. <waves>

dbd33 Mar 2nd 2020 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Tuppence (Post 12814452)
Bought another one. Sold up expecting to be permanently in the UK, tried to buy one there but got screwed with the verbal system. So said bollocks to the whole thing and got our realtor to find us something near our old place. Bought it unseen, and it worked out great (near the marsh). Probably on the move again in about 8-10 years once school is done for the sprog. Likely Vancouver Island with winter somewhere warm in the US.

Rattray Marsh is nice, quiet but still near stations and shops and all. That sounds like a win.

Tuppence Mar 4th 2020 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12814620)
Blimey! Look who’s’ back. <waves>

ello 😀