British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Anyone in Vancouver Island (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-vancouver-island-647177/)

Becki44 Jan 3rd 2010 1:48 pm

Anyone in Vancouver Island

Hi to All,

Happy new year!!

Just wondering if anyone is going to or lives in Vancouver Island. We (being myself, husband and 19 month old daughter) are moving over to Courtenay in February and wondered if anyone is going through a simular experience and or if anyone is close by?

Be great to hear from you all.

Becki :thumbsup:

bananahammock Jan 3rd 2010 3:58 pm

Re: Anyone in Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by Becki44 (Post 8214855)
Hi to All,

Happy new year!!

Just wondering if anyone is going to or lives in Vancouver Island. We (being myself, husband and 19 month old daughter) are moving over to Courtenay in February and wondered if anyone is going through a simular experience and or if anyone is close by?

Hi Becki :)

We are about an hour away in Nanaimo & have been here for almost 4 & a half years, my 2 little darlings :eek: are almost grown now at 21 & 17. Good luck with the move & Happy new year! :thumbsup:

deb1321 Jan 3rd 2010 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by bananahammock (Post 8215140)
Hi Becki :)

We are about an hour away in Nanaimo & have been here for almost 4 & a half years, my 2 little darlings :eek: are almost grown now at 21 & 17. Good luck with the move & Happy new year! :thumbsup:

hi! my brother lives in victoria and we have just returned from another visit! we have now decided to start proceeding in emergrate there ourselfs although do not know where to start!!!
im a hairdresser and my partner a tiler and we cant seem to find these in skilled workers?! i can get a job working on a deli counter with my sister in law? would this help? also does anyone know a good imergration lawyer or is it ok to use a online one? any help would be gratefully recieved!!!!! we also have 2 children 7 and 10 and any advice on school applications would be great!? many thanks debbie and simon x

charlottyb Jan 3rd 2010 5:50 pm

I Live in Victoria, along with husband and 3 kids (13, 10 and 7) If I can be of any help just ask.:)

SteveHarris Jan 3rd 2010 7:17 pm

Been in Victoria since 2001 - if you need help feel free to ask.

Cheers - Steve

Hi to All,

Happy new year!!

gloveman Jan 3rd 2010 7:26 pm

Hi to All,

Happy new year!!

Hi Becki - we live just outside of Courtenay and have been here since May 2007. PM me if I can be of help this end. Hope all goes well for you. Angela

ptrjakson Jan 3rd 2010 7:53 pm

Vancouver Island was Born from volcanic rock, the rugged North Island region features a largely uninhabited wilderness of forests, lakes and snow-capped peaks - a unique, natural paradise.Wish you a happy journey.

kateodonnell Jan 4th 2010 8:06 am

Hello
Me my OH and two boys are heading to Vancouver Island - Nanaimo in we hope Feb (if TWP ever arrives!!) so will be arriving same time as you guys.
xx

Madwife Jan 11th 2010 9:05 pm

Hi there

I am supposed to be going to Victoria on the Western side, I will be working as a Midwife covering the Western Communities (whatever they are?). Just waiting for my PNP to be approved, taking ages!

I have a 9 yr old son(nearly 10) and various other grown up children will be coming and going!

I have never been to Victoria and am quite nervous. I have been to Canada for 3 reccies and to take exams etc, in Vancouver but never went to Victoria.

Sarah x

Ian_sea Jan 11th 2010 9:35 pm

Hi Becki

Myself, wife and daughter have recently arrived in Nanaimo, we landed in late August. We have just bought a house as were renting for the first 3 months. Good luck with the move and let us know if you want any info. Cheers Ian.

johngrimes Jan 11th 2010 9:38 pm

My aunt lives in Nanaimo..say hi..

SteveHarris Jan 12th 2010 12:17 am

There's lots of big box stores out in the Western Communities, lots of areas with growing communities; that'll probably be Colwood, Langford and further on out to Metchosin.

If you have any questions ask away.

Cheers - Steve

Originally Posted by Madwife (Post 8239321)
Hi there

I am supposed to be going to Victoria on the Western side, I will be working as a Midwife covering the Western Communities (whatever they are?). Just waiting for my PNP to be approved, taking ages!

I have a 9 yr old son(nearly 10) and various other grown up children will be coming and going!

I have never been to Victoria and am quite nervous. I have been to Canada for 3 reccies and to take exams etc, in Vancouver but never went to Victoria.

Sarah x

kateodonnell Jan 12th 2010 7:24 am

Ian_Sea, how did you find renting in Nanaimo, OH heading out in March to get us a 3-6 month rental and finding it hard to see many details on line. Is there a good choice of houses availa and what info did you need to secure a house?? House being packed up in a week or so and i want to make sure any docs we will need dont end up in the container.

thanks

SMerc Jan 12th 2010 1:21 pm

Hi to All,

Happy new year!!

Hope you enjoy Comox area lived there for a few years now live in Victoria.
Has some nice events during the summer plus the marina is great for walking. With the new highway makes travel abit easier and quicker and don't forget to check out Porteguese Joes for fish as we use to get loads of aircrew fly in to get salmon from there.

Ian_sea Jan 12th 2010 3:02 pm

Hi Kate

I found a 2 bed suite that would take 2 cats and that I could rent for just 3 months for $1050 per month excluding utilities. The downside was that it was not in the best area although the suite was in excellent condition. However, it was much easier being here as the good places tend to go quite quickly and quite a few of them want 6 or 12 month rentals, but I wanted to check out areas before committing to living in an area for that length of time.

The majority of places are shown on craigslist and/or kjiji although the local newspapers are a good source but they do not show their adverts online.

When in March is your OH coming out and how big a place do you require as I am currently renovating a place and we have the top 3 bed suite rented out and the lower 2 bed suite should be available in February. It is in a good area (in a cul-de-sac) close to schools, bus route and the Aquatic centre. Please PM me if want any additional info about the suite or any general info about Nanaimo.
Cheers Ian.