Reload this Page >

Anyone in Toronto? With kids?

Wikiposts

Anyone in Toronto? With kids?

Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:42 am
Just Joined

awilliams123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in Toronto? With kids?

Hi, have just moved to Toronto (North York) with hubby and 18 month old. Funnily I am actually Canadian but lived in Britain for 8 years, really missing it! Would love to talk/meet with someone in a similar situation. Our reasons for moving back were mainly to be closer to family, but I' m now finding this transition really hard!
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:58 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Toronto? With kids?

Originally Posted by awilliams123
Hi, have just moved to Toronto (North York) with hubby and 18 month old. Funnily I am actually Canadian but lived in Britain for 8 years, really missing it! Would love to talk/meet with someone in a similar situation. Our reasons for moving back were mainly to be closer to family, but I' m now finding this transition really hard!
Every 6 months or so- some of us get together down town for beers.

At the last Meet Up there were several Expats with children.

Keep an eye on "The Maple Leaf" section and get down to the next one.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Every 6 months or so- some of us get together down town for beers.

At the last Meet Up there were several Expats with children.*

Keep an eye on "The Maple Leaf" section and get down to the next one.
* Although no children.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:15 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
* Although no children.
Yes- none in the pub....no children allowed.....

But by way of introducing yourself to people who also have children.....

Ba better be starting tomorrow. He is Vice Captain in my Fantasy Footy team.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, welcome!

I'm one of a bunch of ladies who meet up too, some of whom also made it to the aforementioned meet up. Some of ladies have babies/tots and some don't, but we range in age from almost 30 to just over 40. I'm not one of them with kids, but drop me a line if you fancy meeting up for coffee or a drink sometime.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Haleian is on a distinguished road

We land in Toronto on Thursday from Manchester. Me, the missus and our 18 month old. Let me know if you want to swap numbers and we can share a new start in Canada with children that want to destroy everything in their path!

Cheers,

Paul
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

Hey, I have a 20mth old and a 3 year old but I live east in the Beaches. If you're ever this way, send me a message although I'm one of the women who you might meet through HsJones (that IS you Helen right?)

Leish
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lvh76
Hey, I have a 20mth old and a 3 year old but I live east in the Beaches. If you're ever this way, send me a message although I'm one of the women who you might meet through HsJones (that IS you Helen right?)

Leish
Well look at that! Just today Miss Clinique started a thread wondering what had happened to you. Don't be a stranger.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Haha Novo, how are you and your lovely wife? Londonmike alerted me to the fact that someone was asking what had happened to me so I logged on. Been so busy with kids/Uni course/the most sociable neighborhood EVER!!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:32 pm
Born again atheist

Haha Novo, how are you and your lovely wife? Londonmike alerted me to the fact that someone was asking what had happened to me so I logged on. Been so busy with kids/Uni course/the most sociable neighborhood EVER!!
We're both fine thank you very much. I'm of course also busy with the Uni course and the kids who are taking it. They seem an OK bunch this year, but it's early. We'll see.

We had the summer in France and (although I can't recall if this came up at the Yard) the OH is now a retired old maid, who has recently returned from a cruise on the Danube.

This is all very well, but she fell in love with Budapest and we may have to get a pied a terre there. Bugger.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
We're both fine thank you very much. I'm of course also busy with the Uni course and the kids who are taking it. They seem an OK bunch this year, but it's early. We'll see.

We had the summer in France and (although I can't recall if this came up at the Yard) the OH is now a retired old maid, who has recently returned from a cruise on the Danube.

This is all very well, but she fell in love with Budapest and we may have to get a pied a terre there. Bugger.
A pied a terre in beautiful Budapest would be wonderful! Glad to hear you're both well and hopefully see you at the next meet up!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:38 pm
Born again atheist

A pied a terre in beautiful Budapest would be wonderful! Glad to hear you're both well and hopefully see you at the next meet up!
I hope so too. Would you like to organize? I'd suggest rigid authoritarianism.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 8:04 am
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 3 year old little boy who goes to preschool NYAD 5 days a week and loves it.
Just signed him up for soccer with instruction on Saturday mornings for 9 weeks via the library 'fun guide', along with indoor playground, and story time with arts and crafts, he loves all that so it keeps him stimulated at weekends, I tend to take him swimming on Sundays, but Sundays are flexible for me so I'd be happy to bring him and meet up intermittently.

I go to Niagara falls sometimes for a day out too. I can't do the meetups as they tend to be evenings, day times work best for me.

I live near Kennedy subway station so it's very easy to get around, all the public transport I want is on my doorstep.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Bellybells is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you still living in North York? I am moving to Toronto in Mid June for a year. My husband will be working whilst I will be on maternity leave with a 2.5 yr old son and a soon to be born baby girl (I was due a couple of days ago!). My husband will be working at Sunnybrook Hospital, and we have been recommended to stay in the Yonge-Eglington area, although we have done so far nothing to prepare for the move... Where exactly are you, and do you have any recommendations???
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:24 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Bellybells
Are you still living in North York? I am moving to Toronto in Mid June for a year. My husband will be working whilst I will be on maternity leave with a 2.5 yr old son and a soon to be born baby girl (I was due a couple of days ago!). My husband will be working at Sunnybrook Hospital, and we have been recommended to stay in the Yonge-Eglington area, although we have done so far nothing to prepare for the move... Where exactly are you, and do you have any recommendations???
Welcome. Yonge & Eglington would be very convenient for Sunnybrook and is a pleasant area.

While not in that part of town, but rather in High Park, we arrived in Toronto (sometime ago) with a newborn and found the little b*****d to be the best possible ticket to making friends and contacts.

A bit of googling (unavailable in my day) will reveal all.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 16th 2013 at 4:37 am. Reason: language timothy - it's a family forum :)