Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone settled in Whitby or Coburg, ON?

Wikiposts

Anyone settled in Whitby or Coburg, ON?

Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:07 am
Dreaming of Whitby,ON

joopychools is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone settled in Whitby or Coburg, ON?

Hi there,

On a recent recce we loved the town of Coburg, ON and was wondering if anyone has made the move to that part of the world from the UK? My husband is worried it will be a little too far for us job-wise but the house prices are great! He seems to prefer north Whitby, closer to TO and we did see some lovely houses there.

Any advice / comments would be great!

Jennie
Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:15 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone settled in Whitby or Coburg, ON?

Are you really looking to commute from Cobourg into Toronto every day for work? That's potentially a 120km journey each way. Would you consider Leeds to say Bridlington as a viable commute? - it's the same sort of distance.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:26 am
Dreaming of Whitby,ON

joopychools is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL! Yeah right, can you imagine how much fun that would be?!

When I said nearer I guess I meant nearer the action of Toronto inc. the airport for visitors etc. As a teacher I'm not sure if there are less schools out towards Coburg as there are 3 possible school boards for me in Whitby. I loved Coburg but don't want to be out in the sticks and wondered if there any expats in those areas...
Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:53 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Are you really looking to commute from Cobourg into Toronto every day for work? That's potentially a 120km journey each way. Would you consider Leeds to say Bridlington as a viable commute? - it's the same sort of distance.
Several of my collegues do it to Scarborough. Its traffic/ accident dependent of course, but on a good day it can be done in a little over an hour from Scarbourough out to Cobourg. Of course if there is weather or an accident closes the non express bit of the 401 you could be stuck a while... Not sure I would consider it for the long term myself, not unless it was a location of compromise for other reasons (ie partners job on the East for example). Then again, on a good day I can get from Belleville to Scarborough in 90minutes...

Cobourg itself is nice enough, the area North of there too. Fairly quiet though.

Never understood this "Near the airport for visitors" mentality. Either its an hours drive, or two hours, but either way you wont be doing it all that often over the years I suspect. The novelty of visiting comes to an end, and frequent visitors can make their own way from the airport after a while

Last edited by iaink; Jun 21st 2010 at 9:00 am.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:56 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I live 40 mins from Cobourg and I like the town very much. Re teachers jobs. A colleagues sister is a teacher, she returned to the area 2 years ago and is still working in the LCBO as she hasn't found a job teaching.

There is a train from Cobourg to Union Station and people do commute from there.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:13 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Never understood this "Near the airport for visitors"

Agreed, and I can't understand those who really want to live on the west coast but settle for the Maritimes because it's less flying time. It's at the most three and a half hours more, FFS.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:49 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Agreed, and I can't understand those who really want to live on the west coast but settle for the Maritimes because it's less flying time. It's at the most three and a half hours more, FFS.
If you have little kids though 3 1/2 hours might as well be 3 1/2 weeks in practical terms