Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone is Saskatoon who can help me?

Anyone is Saskatoon who can help me?

Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone is Saskatoon who can help me?

I have family living in Saskatoon (4 households) and they have done so for many years now. They do and have lived “free from crime” lives up to the present. I have mentioned to them about the crime rate statistics and, while aware of them, have never experienced it themselves, consequently go about their daily lives unemcumbered with such thoughts. Much of the crime involves indigenous peoples.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:14 pm
Cos
Just Joined

Cos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I have family living in Saskatoon (4 households) and they have done so for many years now. They do and have lived “free from crime” lives up to the present. I have mentioned to them about the crime rate statistics and, while aware of them, have never experienced it themselves, consequently go about their daily lives unemcumbered with such thoughts. Much of the crime involves indigenous peoples.
Good to know!
If may I ask, which area does your family live?
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Your children are still young.

If Saskatoon has Junior and Senior Kindergarten, the eldest one will not start for another year ............. entry into Junior K is in the calendar year in which the child turns 4

Entry into Senior K is in the calendar year in which the child turns 5.

Schools usually have before and after school care ................ provided by a private company on the school grounds. IF Kindergarten is all day, then a kindy student might be eligible, as long as there is room ......... you have to apply for it, and there will be costs.

You may on the other hand, have to find a private daycare that will offer before and after school care, as well as taking the child to school and picking up afterwards. That usually translates to finding someone who is running a small daycare in their home .............. and they may or may not be licensed. Note that not being licensed does not automatically translate into "poor", nor does being licensed automatically mean "good".

I don't know about Saskatoon, but most places across Canada have problems with daycare availability ............. it may not be as easy to find daycare as you may be used to, especially for the 1 year old (who presumably is still in diapers).

I also do not know what costs are like in Saskatoon ............... daycare is expensive here, as is everything!! I also know that people are paying up to or over $1000 in other provinces. Before and after care on the school premises is much cheaper

I certainly would not be choosing a daycare without being able to visit at least a couple of times and see how it is run, how many children a really there, what facilities they have, does the person in charge have help or is it one mum looking after 5 or 6 kids on her own, etc..

I don't see the rush unless you both have jobs that will start immediately you arrive.

As regards housing, do not buy before or as soon as you arrive. Find rental housing and take time to look around, decide which areas you like and the type of house you want to buy. It will cost you lots of money to buy in advance, and then sell soon after arrival because you don't like the house/area, etc.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:17 pm
Cos
Just Joined

Cos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Your children are still young.

If Saskatoon has Junior and Senior Kindergarten, the eldest one will not start for another year ............. entry into Junior K is in the calendar year in which the child turns 4

Entry into Senior K is in the calendar year in which the child turns 5.

Schools usually have before and after school care ................ provided by a private company on the school grounds. IF Kindergarten is all day, then a kindy student might be eligible, as long as there is room ......... you have to apply for it, and there will be costs.

You may on the other hand, have to find a private daycare that will offer before and after school care, as well as taking the child to school and picking up afterwards. That usually translates to finding someone who is running a small daycare in their home .............. and they may or may not be licensed. Note that not being licensed does not automatically translate into "poor", nor does being licensed automatically mean "good".

I don't know about Saskatoon, but most places across Canada have problems with daycare availability ............. it may not be as easy to find daycare as you may be used to, especially for the 1 year old (who presumably is still in diapers).

I also do not know what costs are like in Saskatoon ............... daycare is expensive here, as is everything!! I also know that people are paying up to or over $1000 in other provinces. Before and after care on the school premises is much cheaper

I certainly would not be choosing a daycare without being able to visit at least a couple of times and see how it is run, how many children a really there, what facilities they have, does the person in charge have help or is it one mum looking after 5 or 6 kids on her own, etc..

I don't see the rush unless you both have jobs that will start immediately you arrive.

As regards housing, do not buy before or as soon as you arrive. Find rental housing and take time to look around, decide which areas you like and the type of house you want to buy. It will cost you lots of money to buy in advance, and then sell soon after arrival because you don't like the house/area, etc.

Great advice!
Thanks!
It surprised me how expensive daycare is!! It is crazy.
We decided we will rent first and wait until summer to see if we can buy. And there will be more houses on the market I guess.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Sam1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi sorry it took a while ....Stonebridge is the area my daughter sguested....she's not really a city girl so she preferred the outer towns ...Warman she loved also Martinsville. .but as previously stated they're about 30mins out of the city and the main highway can be busy...as I said she lI've in Warman and it would take her about 20 -25 mins to get downtown for work ...good luck in your search
Old Oct 14th 2017, 8:55 pm
Cos
Just Joined

Thanks Sam!
I will consider Stonebridge as it is closer to the university.
Good luck for you too.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

toontownman is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been in Saskatoon ten years and have two young kids.

The crime stats are slightly misleading and cause hysteria. They are usually statistics per capita and Saskatoon has a smaller population than biggers centres that have way more incidents and issues. As mentioned the majority of crime is gang related and gang contained. I was in Manchester for 6 years before moving here and I actually had to aclimatise to how safe it was, Worried about people wanting to mug you when they pass you in the street when they actually just say good morning or Hi! Saskatoons worst is like a Sunday afternoon picnic compared to the UK.

Like any city you just have to be at the wrong time and the wrong place. There is lots of regeneration downtown and the city is one of the fastest growing in n.america. It's definitely a city on the up. We live in the lakeridge area and I think it's a great area but there are plenty of areas similar and better. It depends on your budget and what amenities you want around you. Overall without question id say this is the safest, cleanest, laid back (sometimes to a fault) place I've ever lived.

Day care wise it's half the cost of the UK daycare frienda and family use. Where we go it's $500 a month. 900 for two. That can differ though.

Granted this might not be everyone's view and experience but it's ours.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 4:40 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toontownman
We've been in Saskatoon ten years and have two young kids.

The crime stats are slightly misleading and cause hysteria. They are usually statistics per capita and Saskatoon has a smaller population than biggers centres that have way more incidents and issues. As mentioned the majority of crime is gang related and gang contained. I was in Manchester for 6 years before moving here and I actually had to aclimatise to how safe it was, Worried about people wanting to mug you when they pass you in the street when they actually just say good morning or Hi! Saskatoons worst is like a Sunday afternoon picnic compared to the UK.

Like any city you just have to be at the wrong time and the wrong place. There is lots of regeneration downtown and the city is one of the fastest growing in n.america. It's definitely a city on the up. We live in the lakeridge area and I think it's a great area but there are plenty of areas similar and better. It depends on your budget and what amenities you want around you. Overall without question id say this is the safest, cleanest, laid back (sometimes to a fault) place I've ever lived.

Day care wise it's half the cost of the UK daycare frienda and family use. Where we go it's $500 a month. 900 for two. That can differ though.

Granted this might not be everyone's view and experience but it's ours.
I just wanted to say "welcome to BE!'"

Thanks for giving your insight into living in Saskatoon.. I'm sure the OP will find it helpful.

Old Nov 15th 2017, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

DKYXE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cos
I've been reading that Alphabet areas, downtown and 22nd street are bad.
What neighborhood would you suggest?
My kids are still young so I don't let the out alone even here in Aberystwyth.
We were wondering about Lakeview or Evergreen area. But we don't know how much the houses cost around there.
Maybe would you rent until figure out the area to live?
Lived in Saskatoon, on and off for over a decade. Yes definitely stay away from the alphabet avenues no matter what you do. Best to even avoid driving down 20th, 22nd and Idlwyld in the late night unless you have a good reason. The rest of the city is not that bad at all. The outer areas of the west side (such as confederation park or dundonald) are pretty decent but then again theres no good reason to really live there.

Pretty much anywhere on the east side is good, except for sutherland. If you want to buy a house/condo and want a new build rosewood, evergreen and stonebridge are all fine choices. Silver spring, willow grove, arbour creek and erindale are great options for buying too. Most homes are less than 2 decades old and the benefit opposed to new is that most of the services nearby are well established. All of those areas are conveniently located for elementary as well as secondary schools and day to day shopping. You may also wish to consider the north end of the city, especially if you are renting initially. In particular Silverwood and Lawson heights. Slightly more affordable than the east end. Both very conveniently located for schools as well, also closer to walking/bike paths etc. by the river and the majority of jobs are in the north end or downtown so the commute is bit easier.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 2:31 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Saskatoon for 3.5 years. I 've also lived in QC, ON and now AB. Saskatoon was no worse or better than anywhere else I've been. Most of the crime was located in what is normally referred to as "Alphabet City", the numbered streets and avenues close to downtown.

I foyu are looking ats information Sakatoon Life seems to have information.