Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on Emigration to Canada

Advice on Emigration to Canada

Old Sep 16th 2017, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Benjollie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Emigration to Canada

Good Afternoon all, I have an aunty, uncle and cousin living in Aurora Canada. We have recently visited for the second time, my husband and 2 boys, Ben 9 and Oliver 6. We are very interested in emigrating to Canada and have done some research for areas about 1-2 hrs drive from Toronto to rent on the web. My Husband is an Accountant (although not been in practice for last 12 yrs as he has been a Finance Director for a large firm). I have recently qualified as a Level 3 Teaching and Learning Support Assistant. We feel the time is now to get the ball rolling with the process. I would like to know if anyone can give me an idea of the order I should be looking at doing things and suggested sites please. Would we be better having jobs in place before coming out if visas are granted or look once in Canada?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Cathy
Old Sep 16th 2017, 3:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Emigration to Canada

Hi Cathy,

To avoid disappointment, I wouldn't visit Canada for a recce trip or apply for jobs until you have your visa stamped in your passport(s).

This page has some good information, as does the Canada Immigration website.

Once you have all the paperwork, then start thinking about places to live and work.

Good luck to you all.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

As Danny says, start with the CIC website. Have you thought at all about how you would qualify for emigration? Do you have enough points to be a Federal Skilled Worker? (67 FSW points - based on age, qualifications, experience, languages, etc - to get into the 'pool', 415-450ish Comprehensive Ranking System points - based on the same, counted differently - to be drawn out of it). Would you need the extra points from a job offer (backed up by proof no Canadian could do it)? Are you eligible for nomination by a Province? Having an idea of how you can move out (and even if you can) is a prerequisite for useful answers on anything else.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benjollie
I would like to know if anyone can give me an idea of the order I should be looking at doing things and suggested sites please. Would we be better having jobs in place before coming out if visas are granted or look once in Canada?
That totally depends on if you're eligible for a visa without a job offer or not - many people aren't, so have to get a job offer and sponsorship before they are eligible to apply.

As said above, you need to work out your scores, both as a Federal Skilled Worker, and on the CRS, once you've got then then let us know and we can help you figure it out. You can also take the eligibility test on the CIC website to give you a rough idea - Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?

I wouldn't worry about areas to rent just yet, if you do need a job and sponsorship then you may not get much say in where you end up (it may not even be your province of choice, never mind town!). I'd also suggest you do a search for threads about your occupation, as I understand it's going to be a tough field to get in to in Canada, and you can also search for info on what your husband will need to do to work in Canada.

HTH, good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

OtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
To avoid disappointment, I wouldn't visit Canada for a recce trip or apply for jobs until you have your visa stamped in your passport(s).
This depends a bit on your visa route. I'm going through the spouse visa system to sponsor my wife, and our recce trip is one of the things we can use to show we're serious about moving.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on so many things. For people applying from some countries under spousal sponsorship they may not be granted a visa (TRV) to come for a visit.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Benjollie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, so we attended an immigration fair few weeks ago and met a lovely guy called Dennis who is the director of a company called Brazalot Migration Services. We filled in forms for the points to be checked and the report has come back to say that we scored 70. A big bonus was that hubby has a Btec. Next stage is to meet up with them to go further in depth about us. They did say that could possibly have visa by august next year. Does anyone have any advice for us.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 11:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, so we attended an immigration fair few weeks ago and met a lovely guy called Dennis who is the director of a company called Brazalot Migration Services. We filled in forms for the points to be checked and the report has come back to say that we scored 70. A big bonus was that hubby has a Btec. Next stage is to meet up with them to go further in depth about us. They did say that could possibly have visa by august next year. Does anyone have any advice for us.
Yep, steer clear of that 'lovely' guy and his company. A quick search of the forum will tell you why.

You could be there by next August, but only if you're scoring enough on the CRS and don't require a job offer to get a visa. The 70 points is only the first step, what is your CRS score (as per the posts above)?
Old Nov 10th 2017, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with christmasoompa!!

Steer well clear of Brazalot

Do not pay him any money.

You still have to do all the work of collecting together the information required to determine whether you are eligible to emigrate, get police certification, get ALL documentation asked for, pay all the fees required by Canada ................. and will pay that company much money (several thousands) for doing sweet fanny adams!

No company can get you into Canada ............ only you can do that!
Old Nov 10th 2017, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Hi Cathy,

This page has some good information, as does the Canada Immigration website.

Once you have all the paperwork, then start thinking about places to live and work.

Good luck to you all.
Danny B has provided very good advice.

Steer clear of migration agents who have poor track records on this forum.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

John and Kerina is an unknown quantity at this point

I will say you are doing the right thing by asking for advice.....and all the comments on "your best friend Mr Migration" are completely 100% correct.....if you want to succeed it will be all down to you.....trust me the frustration will be there as you work through the system.....don't raise your hopes too much until you receive answers on your paperwork....I foolishly thought we could be here in a matter of weeks after we applied.....nearly 2 years later we landed in Toronto back in Feb 2010......7 years later and now Canadian citizens I can laugh at the heartache we went through.....wish you all the best eh!
Old Nov 16th 2017, 4:49 am
Just Joined

pquick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello...we used Brazalots 9 years ago when we came over. Expensive....but they made things so smooth.
We met Dennis in january 2008....they had interviews lined up for my husband March 2008.he came to live here September 2008 and I followed in the October.
They really are withyou each step of the way, and everything is submitted at the correct times,and in the correct way. My husband and I could not have done it without there help, but I know a lot of people do.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

The sexual assault case Mr Brazalot pleaded guilty to is a enough for me to know I'd never want to give them a penny.

This website plus the CIC website is all you need.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pquick
Hello...we used Brazalots 9 years ago when we came over. Expensive....but they made things so smooth.
We met Dennis in january 2008....they had interviews lined up for my husband March 2008.he came to live here September 2008 and I followed in the October.
They really are withyou each step of the way, and everything is submitted at the correct times,and in the correct way. My husband and I could not have done it without there help, but I know a lot of people do.

It seems that you were lucky, had a very different experience with Brazalot from that of many other people on this site.

Yours is honestly the first positive comment that I have seen. I'm glad that it was so positive .......... and worth the money!

The fact remains that no consultant can get you into Canada if YOU do not have the qualifications.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
It seems that you were lucky, had a very different experience with Brazalot from that of many other people on this site.

Yours is honestly the first positive comment that I have seen. I'm glad that it was so positive .......... and worth the money!

The fact remains that no consultant can get you into Canada if YOU do not have the qualifications.
I accept I may be wrong, but I don't believe that I have ever read of anyone on this site that has used that firm and were unhappy with the service they received.

I accept that lots of people on this site have told others to steer clear of them, but that doesn't appear to have been based on personal experience, but because of what they have read online.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.