Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone is Saskatoon who can help me?

Anyone is Saskatoon who can help me?

Old Sep 20th 2017, 3:37 pm
Cos
Just Joined

Cos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone is Saskatoon who can help me?

Hello,
Thanks for answering my questions.
I have two daughters. One is 1 year old and the other is 3 and a half years old .
We will be arriving new to town next January.
I've been reading it is not very safe city. Is it true?
Which areas would you recommend for living?

Also, I'm not sure where I should apply for a daycare.Not being able to visit the daycare myself before applying, I would like to know about where I should apply. I am concerned about their education and safety.
Where would you recommend or not recommend?
Would you choose one until kindergarten? Or would you recommend the other ones until they are 12 years old?
Are there any other activities that you can recommend (libraries, gym, ...) ?
January is bad weather and I would like to have something for them for when we'll arrive. That's why it is important to apply now with plenty of time left.

Thanks in advance for your time and interest.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone is Saskatoon who can help me?

Originally Posted by Cos
I've been reading it is not very safe city. Is it true?
It's one of the most dangerous cities in Canada.

Which isn't really saying a lot, given how safe most of Canada is. Violent crime rates in Saskatoon are something like 1/10 of those in a typical American city.

I've lived here ten years. The only crime I've experienced was when one of our neighbours had their bike stolen, and someone broke into a car in our work parking lot. But friends who work downtown do have a lot of stories about the crazy homeless people and drug dealers they run into there. The city government doesn't seem to want to do anything about them, and then they wonder why people don't want to live downtown.

Better that than the chavs setting cars on fire in the street where I used to work in the UK.

There are a few stabbings and the occasional shooting, but they're usually in the parts of the city where you wouldn't want to live. And most are people who know each other getting into fights while drunk. Avoid the dive bars, and you're not likely to run into them.

Which areas would you recommend for living?
Any of the newer areas, really. The west side is generally less well-off, but, last I read, there was more property crime on the east side, presumably because thieves go there looking for better loot.

Are there any other activities that you can recommend (libraries, gym, ...) ?
:Libraries used to be much better than any I visited in the UK, but they're degenerating. The new management seem more interested in pushing digital stuff than physical books. Which is fine for me, because I mostly read ebooks, but seems like a poor long-term plan. Not much point having physical libraries if we're just going to download stuff from the web site.

There are a bunch of gyms, but I haven't been to any. Might do soon, as I've outgrown the weights I have at home. There are swimming pools in the same buildings as some of the libraries, but, again, I haven't been to any.

The drive-in cinema owners keep threatening to reopen it, but it hasn't happened yet.

The new shooting/archery range officially opened outside the city a couple of weeks ago, if you're into that kind of thing. It's about 10km down gravel roads though, so bring an SUV.

Oh, yeah, and the buses work pretty well compared to anywhere I lived in the UK, if you have to use them. But waiting at the bus stop for three hours at forty below zero in a snow storm when they're seriously delayed gets old fast.

Last edited by MarkG; Sep 20th 2017 at 5:36 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 5:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cos
I am concerned about their education and safety.
Don't let them out on their own!
Old Sep 20th 2017, 6:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
It's one of the most dangerous cities in Canada.
Saskatoon has second-highest crime rate in Canada
On Monday, Statistics Canada reported the crime rate in Saskatoon rose to 8,942 incidents per 100,000 people, an increase of six per cent from 2015 to 2016.

It was the second highest rate among Canadian cities, trailing only Regina.

The two Saskatchewan cities have also had the highest crime severity indexes (CSI) since 2010.

The CSI, which measures the volume and severity of crime, increased one per cent nation-wide to 70.1 in 2016 from the previous year. Saskatoon’s CIS increased by five per cent to 117.8.

According to the report, Saskatchewan continues to have the highest overall CSI and crime rate among the provinces.
What is it with Saskatchewan, something to do with not changing the clocks?
Old Sep 20th 2017, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Saskatoon's problem seems to be too many hippies in the city government, who consider bike lanes far more important than violent crime. Don't know about Regina.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 7:20 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Had no idea. Always thought Saskatoon was pretty safe.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 8:24 pm
Cos
Just Joined

Cos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond reputeCos has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone!
I am concerned about the safety of my family.
I am sure it is not like in UK, but still, my girls have to live there...
Hopefully we find somewhere safe for them
Old Sep 20th 2017, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seriously, stay away from the grimy parts of town and you'll be fine.

And, if you have to stay temporarily in a hotel, I'd stay away from the downtown hotels on Idylwyld. There often seem to be news stories about drug busts there.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 8:33 pm
Cos
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarkG
Seriously, stay away from the grimy parts of town and you'll be fine.
Thanks MarkG!
Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Sam1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter used to live in Saskatoon if you give me a couple days ill ask her the questions and get back to you....Day care she may not know about as she has no children...As the previous posts stated Sask does have its issues but what big city doesn't...Take London or Birmingham or even Glasgow but yes Saskatoon does have areas that you really don't want to be. There are some nice quite villages/towns just outside of Saskatoon within 20mins drive (that's just down the road in Canada lol) Warman being one. Its quite for the most part (daughter lived there) its growing with new residential sites. To be honest only during the summer months do you really see younger kids outside playing and most stay pretty close to home ....its more of a cultural thing in my opinion.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, we were in Martensville the other day. It's only a few minutes from the edge of Saskatoon, but getting onto the highway in the rush hour with no traffic lights must be a real pain.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

stubby43 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Regina, in terms of safety both cities seem about the same.

Both cities have gang problems but most of the time its just gang on gang crimes.

People let their kids walk home from school on their own here, as long as you arent in a bad neighbourhood you'll be fine.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:13 am
Cos
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sam1970
My daughter used to live in Saskatoon if you give me a couple days ill ask her the questions and get back to you....Day care she may not know about as she has no children...As the previous posts stated Sask does have its issues but what big city doesn't...Take London or Birmingham or even Glasgow but yes Saskatoon does have areas that you really don't want to be. There are some nice quite villages/towns just outside of Saskatoon within 20mins drive (that's just down the road in Canada lol) Warman being one. Its quite for the most part (daughter lived there) its growing with new residential sites. To be honest only during the summer months do you really see younger kids outside playing and most stay pretty close to home ....its more of a cultural thing in my opinion.
Thanks Sam.
It would be lovely! Thanks
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:17 am
Cos
Just Joined

I've been reading that Alphabet areas, downtown and 22nd street are bad.
What neighborhood would you suggest?
My kids are still young so I don't let the out alone even here in Aberystwyth.
We were wondering about Lakeview or Evergreen area. But we don't know how much the houses cost around there.
Maybe would you rent until figure out the area to live?
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:33 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cos
I've been reading that Alphabet areas, downtown and 22nd street are bad.
What neighborhood would you suggest?
My kids are still young so I don't let the out alone even here in Aberystwyth.
We were wondering about Lakeview or Evergreen area. But we don't know how much the houses cost around there.
Maybe would you rent until figure out the area to live?
Rent is always the best idea when moving to a new country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.