Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone renewed a PR card lately?

Anyone renewed a PR card lately?

Old Feb 17th 2016, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone renewed a PR card lately?

That time is approaching and I was wondering if anyone had any recent turnaround times for new cards. We're going back to the Uk for a week in May, and to the US for a week in August, and cards expire in Nov. I know we don't *need* the cards to travel but am not keen on crossing the US border without unquestionable evidence of our status! Could we wait till after our trip to apply?
Old Feb 17th 2016, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone renewed a PR card lately?

You don't have to submit your current PR card when you apply for a renewal: only a copy.

"Include these documents when you apply:

your PR card
If you are applying to renew your card, keep your current card and include a photocopy of it with your application."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...st-pr-card.asp

BUT: you absolutely need your PR card for the travel to the UK in May: from 15 March, 2016, it will not be possible to board the plane back to Canada without it. This includes returning from the US if you travel by air or commercial transport. But you'll have it for both trips and it is valid till November.

You can check current processing times on the CIC website but it is loading very slowly keeps crashing:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Feb 17th 2016 at 3:39 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the quick info! :-) I feel very relieved to know I can keep the original; I was envisioning border hassles. I'd forgotten about the change to Canadian rules as well, thanks for the reminder
Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute

We received our 2nd PR cards in February 2014. Then, it took 6 months. We were requested to present ourselves at Vancouver CIC to confirm our identity. An expensive trip as we live on Vancouver Island. We became citizens in December 2014 so don't have to worry anymore.

Sarah
Old Feb 27th 2016, 2:04 am
Just Joined

jaybee529666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by izzi81
That time is approaching and I was wondering if anyone had any recent turnaround times for new cards. We're going back to the Uk for a week in May, and to the US for a week in August, and cards expire in Nov. I know we don't *need* the cards to travel but am not keen on crossing the US border without unquestionable evidence of our status! Could we wait till after our trip to apply?
Just received mine today. It took approx. 6 months. If you're renewing you can check the status of your renewal online which is nice. Note that when you do this they will ask for your 'identification number' and it is actually the number on the back top of your existing card (took me a long time to figure out that they want this number and not the one on the front of your card) :P