Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone recommend a USD account?

Anyone recommend a USD account?

Old Aug 26th 2014, 11:34 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone recommend a USD account?

Originally Posted by Steve_
Because you've filed W-9, which is only for residents. If you file a W-8BEN with a US address you usually get a nasty letter. Says on W-9 that you declare yourself to be a US person.
Where did I say I had filed a W-9 ? I haven't For a grumpy old know it all you seem to be off the mark ! I've been doing what I do for the past 13 years and I haven't had any "nasty letters" yet. As I said, I don't have any concerns.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 11:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Because under the regs, if you use a US address on a W-8BEN, they have to give a reason to the IRS as to how you are a non-resident alien yet have a US residence address, so the inference is that the bank or you submitted a W-9 if they haven't asked you. Either way they've made a mistake, they either have to ask and give an answer that complies with the regs or they've submitted the wrong form.

Like I said, do they send you a 1099-INT or a 1042-S?
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:49 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Because under the regs, if you use a US address on a W-8BEN, they have to give a reason to the IRS as to how you are a non-resident alien yet have a US residence address, so the inference is that the bank or you submitted a W-9 if they haven't asked you. Either way they've made a mistake, they either have to ask and give an answer that complies with the regs or they've submitted the wrong form.

Like I said, do they send you a 1099-INT or a 1042-S?
No.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I also have an RBC US account.

When I went to open it, the staff in the Canadian bank had no clue what it was or how it worked. I had to explain it all to them.

In the end they traced all the paperwork they needed which they then faxed to the US. They were unable to open the account in the local branch, but they emailed me my account the details once it was open a few days later.

It is a full US checking account. It comes with a Visa Debit card as well as check books. I also opened a US savings account with them.

Even though I have a Canadian address, it is possible for me to set up a temporary US address which I can activate for a couple of days if necessary.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I have finally found a solution, with RBC. Simon, yes you mentioned about an RBC account early on, but on their main website they said the accounts didn't come with a debit card. It was only when I found their US bank site, I think through a frustrated google search for USD debit cards for Canadians, that I found that they do offer visa debit accounts to Canadians. Why they don't mention any of this on their Canadian banking website I have no idea.

So I just have to make it through the usual friendly but slightly inept branch service and my account will be open: went in to open it today. I asked last week 'will I need to bring anything with me?' 'oh no, you already have an RBC account, it will be fine. I'll check and call you if you need to bring anything'. No phone call.
Sitting in the bank office today 'do you have your passport with you?' um, no.. 'do you have your SIN number with you?' um, no...

So I'm going back in tomorrow with all the things I needed to have with me today to open the account.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I finally have a USD account with visa debit (woohoo!) but now I find there may be a problem using an account based in the US for a business in Canada? One of the companies I was thinking about using to process online payments has told me I can't use a USD account in the US and be a business based in Canada for credit card processing. However, another company has said it's fine. Which means I'm now wary that maybe it's not fine lol. I really don't want to get involved with anything US tax related.

The last option I have is a USD account with CIBC, which I was avoiding because of fees but I'd pay the fees if it meant zero tax problems!