British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Anyone reccommend a good realtor?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-reccommend-good-realtor-393862/)

Sarahad Aug 30th 2006 11:09 pm

Anyone reccommend a good realtor??

Just wondering if anyone could reccommend a good realtor in the Edmonton area? We are wanting to maybe rent just for abit when first get there and then look to buy our own place... Ive emailed a few realtors off various house websites but upto now no replies...

dbd33 Aug 30th 2006 11:40 pm

Re: Anyone reccommend a good realtor??

Originally Posted by Sarahad
Just wondering if anyone could reccommend a good realtor in the Edmonton area? We are wanting to maybe rent just for abit when first get there and then look to buy our own place... Ive emailed a few realtors off various house websites but upto now no replies...

I can't recommend one, rather I wonder why one would need a real estate agent when looking to rent or buy. Finding houses of interest is pretty straightforward (in Canada), though it is time consuming. It seems to me that the steps are:

- rent pretty much anything so as to have a base, use www.viewit.ca or Craig's list or the local paper or feet.

- cruise potential neighbourhoods, determine which would suit. The key here is gossip, chatters on the internet and local papers can provide as much gossip as an agent.

- determine price of houses in the areas in question, list prices are all on www.mls.ca. Watch it for a while to get a feel for the trend.

- visit open houses in the area. Watch mls. Drive by houses for sale. View ones of specific interest by calling the listing agent.

- when you find the right one make an offer, the listing agent can supply the forms. If there's only one agent there's less commision to pay so the deal is likely easier to get done.

My line of thought is that agents sell houses, a buyer ought to take anything an agent (or car salesman or computer software salesman) says with a large grain of salt. Why pay for advice you can't trust anyway?

Yes, I know the buyer doesn't directly pay the agent but more paid in commision is less in the pocket of buyer or seller.
-

Sarahad Aug 30th 2006 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can't recommend one, rather I wonder why one would need a real estate agent when looking to rent or buy. Finding houses of interest is pretty straightforward (in Canada), though it is time consuming. It seems to me that the steps are:

- rent pretty much anything so as to have a base, use www.viewit.ca or Craig's list or the local paper or feet.

- cruise potential neighbourhoods, determine which would suit. The key here is gossip, chatters on the internet and local papers can provide as much gossip as an agent.

- determine price of houses in the areas in question, list prices are all on www.mls.ca. Watch it for a while to get a feel for the trend.

- visit open houses in the area. Watch mls. Drive by houses for sale. View ones of specific interest by calling the listing agent.

- when you find the right one make an offer, the listing agent can supply the forms. If there's only one agent there's less commision to pay so the deal is likely easier to get done.

My line of thought is that agents sell houses, a buyer ought to take anything an agent (or car salesman or computer software salesman) says with a large grain of salt. Why pay for advice you can't trust anyway?

Yes, I know the buyer doesn't directly pay the agent but more paid in commision is less in the pocket of buyer or seller.
-

Ok thanks for that. It was only that on a previous thread a few people recommended I get in with a good realtor, a few people said they found them a place to rent when first got over there and stuff. I thought it was the 'done' thing there. I wasnt sure if you could go get places off your own back like you do in the UK. Thanks for those links! I will have a look now!

Janet & Chris Aug 30th 2006 11:49 pm

Just sent you an email.

Janet

dbd33 Aug 30th 2006 11:51 pm

Ok thanks for that. It was only that on a previous thread a few people recommended I get in with a good realtor, a few people said they found them a place to rent when first got over there and stuff. I thought it was the 'done' thing there. I wasnt sure if you could go get places off your own back like you do in the UK. Thanks for those links! I will have a look now!

I'm sure an estate agent could be a help, especially one who could arrange an initial rental, but I think they're less useful in Canada than in the US or UK as almost all properties are on mls here. The agent here isn't very useful in helping to find a suitable house because you can look yourself. The agent is useful in the mechanics of buying and moving; they'll know a lawyer, a moving company, a discount appliance store and so on. That's a worthwhile service but I think it's a $500 service, not a $5,000 service.

Butch Cassidy Aug 31st 2006 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Janet & Chris
Just sent you an email.

Janet

Welcome aboard.

Janet & Chris Aug 31st 2006 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Welcome aboard.

Hi Butch Cassidy,

As you can see I am new to the board. Thankyou for the welcome!

Janet

Butch Cassidy Aug 31st 2006 4:14 am

Hi Butch Cassidy,

As you can see I am new to the board. Thankyou for the welcome!

Janet

Just trying to shake my 'nasty' tag. :rolleyes:

Anyways where you heading to?

Janet & Chris Aug 31st 2006 4:22 am

Anyways where you heading to?

You have a 'nasty tag'? Never. Any way we are not totally sure yet were we will be heading. We have been set on Calgary but with the rising cost of property over there we are having a re-think. Property that we were looking at last year for $350,000 has gone up to over $450,000 :scared:

Stuarty Aug 31st 2006 4:31 am

You have a 'nasty tag'? Never. Any way we are not totally sure yet were we will be heading. We have been set on Calgary but with the rising cost of property over there we are having a re-think. Property that we were looking at last year for $350,000 has gone up to over $450,000 :scared:

Has nobody warned you about Butch :eek:
I would send you an e-mail but I believe he monitors them :D
Stuarty

Butch Cassidy Aug 31st 2006 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Stuarty

I'm hurt!!!!
When was the last time I was nasty to you????
I'm gonna go get my six shooter and my winchester and come agunnin' for you ya damned side winder.

;)

Janet & Chris Aug 31st 2006 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Stuarty

??????

willmore Aug 31st 2006 4:39 am

[QUOTE=Butch Cassidy]Just trying to shake my 'nasty' tag. :rolleyes:

Like that would ever happen! :rolleyes:

Stuarty Aug 31st 2006 4:40 am

I'm hurt!!!!
When was the last time I was nasty to you????
I'm gonna go get my six shooter and my winchester and come agunnin' for you ya damned side winder.

;)

Sorry about that my delicate chum, that's a beer I owe you :D

Butch Cassidy Aug 31st 2006 4:40 am

[QUOTE=willmore]

Like that would ever happen! :rolleyes:

Ok that doesnt it.....

You can go get your coffee and crumpet elsewhere missy.