Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone play adult Hockey (rec/beer league) in Calgary??

Anyone play adult Hockey (rec/beer league) in Calgary??

Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice
Default Anyone play adult Hockey (rec/beer league) in Calgary??

Hi All,

Title says it all really... I used to play (Ice) Hockey in the UK and NZ and would like to get invlolved with a team over winter.

This is for fitness and for fun, but can be mildly serious!!

Once again I have messaged all of the leagues I can find with no replies as yet!

Does anyone here play at all???

Cheers,
Ramsey
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:58 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone play adult Hockey (rec/beer league) in Calgary??

There are more adult hockey leagues in Calgary than you can shake a stick at.

Ask the people with whom you work.

When you say you've messaged leagues, I don't know what you mean. If messaging means e-mailing, then for the love of God stop.

Talk to real live people, or at the very least phone.
x
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Yeah... email, unfortunatley the leagues dont provide telephone no.'s (so they dont get pestered by expat brits!!)

I have been asking, but I work in engineering and everyone here is contracted in from anywhere but Calgary!

There it's lots of info out there for Kid's hockey (at rinks, councill, etc.) but Adult is a bit of a mystery!

I'm sure once I find a team, then like everything, my foot will be in the door and i'll wonder why I could never find any information!! :-)

Anyways, thanks for your advice :-)
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:34 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Yeah... email, unfortunatley the leagues dont provide telephone no.'s (so they dont get pestered by expat brits!!)

I have been asking, but I work in engineering and everyone here is contracted in from anywhere but Calgary!

There it's lots of info out there for Kid's hockey (at rinks, councill, etc.) but Adult is a bit of a mystery!

I'm sure once I find a team, then like everything, my foot will be in the door and i'll wonder why I could never find any information!! :-)

Anyways, thanks for your advice :-)
Did a Google search for ADULT HOCKEY + CALGARY.

The first result that came up was Western Recreational Adult Hockey League. The blurb says it's a recreational non-contact ice hockey league for Calgary and the surrounding area. I don't know if you want contact or non-contact. The address is a post office box number in Tuscany (northwest). The office phone number (accessible via the Contact Us link) is 403-714-3876.

The second link in the Google results is Calgary Adult Hocky League. They have one opening in each of Weekend Division III and Weekend Division II, whatever that means. The phone number is 403-771-2245.

Then there's the Calgary Men's Hockey Association, one of the links on the CanadaHockeyInfo.com website. Here is the web page that lists the teams in that association, along with the phone numbers of the contact persons.

There are more Google results, and more listings on the CanadaHockeyInfo.com website, but I hope the above has given you a start.
x
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Did a Google search for ADULT HOCKEY + CALGARY.

The first result that came up was Western Recreational Adult Hockey League. The blurb says it's a recreational non-contact ice hockey league for Calgary and the surrounding area. I don't know if you want contact or non-contact. The address is a post office box number in Tuscany (northwest). The office phone number (accessible via the Contact Us link) is 403-714-3876.

The second link in the Google results is Calgary Adult Hocky League. They have one opening in each of Weekend Division III and Weekend Division II, whatever that means. The phone number is 403-771-2245.

Then there's the Calgary Men's Hockey Association, one of the links on the CanadaHockeyInfo.com website. Here is the web page that lists the teams in that association, along with the phone numbers of the contact persons.

There are more Google results, and more listings on the CanadaHockeyInfo.com website, but I hope the above has given you a start.
x
Thanks for all that... I have had contact with those leagues and i'm on their player "Waiting Lists".... basically a bulletin board for teams to browse and pick.

Anyways, was just wondering if anyone on here is playing in an adult league in Calgary...
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Roughneck42 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want recreational non contact hockey try Hockey North America HNA.COM or http://calgaryhna.homestead.com/ (local calgary website)

call james on 403-451-5773 the local administrator

They accept singles looking for teams but there is an evaluation skate to go through first which happens next week so get a move on if you want to join

division levels start at total beginner and go up to a very high level, if nothing else it is a start.

Paul
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Bainesy36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I have recently taken up Ice Hockey here in North Wales and I too would be interested in playing Recreational Adult Hockey when we arrive in Calgary this Summer (fingers crossed) and was wondering if you'd managed to start playing yet and if so, where?

The info' above is very useful, but I was just wondering how the process went for you or anyone out there that has started playing since moving over.

Cheers,
Nige.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 12:43 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Adult Hockey...this sounds like something that might be a bit dirty.
I once saw something on TV called ejaculation golf...is it anything like that?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

I'm in the same boat as the OP.... except currently, even tho i live in London UK, i am skating with a 'non-checking' adult rec hockey team 2 or 3 times each week!

through this, i have met many North Americans, and have known many Europeans who have gone over to Canada.

It seem though, that whilst cities like Toronto and Calgary have a huge and vibrant adult rec hockey situation going on, Vancouver (my destination of choice) has comparatively very little.

can this be true?